Confirmed with Link: [BUF/WAS] Jaroslav Halak, 2015 3rd for Michal Neuvirth, Rostislav Klesla

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
I'm puzzled. Caps fans seem to value Halak over Neuvirth, yet we added a third rounder and took on a cap dump? No, I'm not mad, I'm just trying to understand why. Neuvirth has a year left on his contract, is that it? I just don't feel this was good asset management, but hey - we added a younger goalie with rights and I guess that makes for an interesting situation going forward with Enroth, Neuvirth and potentially Hackett battling for it, so... shrug.

Yeah, i'm right with you. Those guys seem like the definition of replacement-level players. I feel like Murray got so caught up in flipping Halak that he did whatever it took to close the deal.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara
Yeah, i'm right with you. Those guys seem like the definition of replacement-level players. I feel like Murray got so caught up in flipping Halak that he did whatever it took to close the deal.

Murray said in the presser he likes Neuvy. So no, he didnt just flip Halak for the hell out of it.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Murray said he likes Neuvirth and basically thinks he's better than how things were in Washington.

ZeroPT*

Murray said in the presser he likes Neuvy. So no, he didnt just flip Halak for the hell out of it.

Well. The sens are known for getting a lot out of goalies (Emery,Anderson,Bishop) Maybe he sees something in him we all don't? :dunno:

After the deadline day I completely trust TM, made some solid moves.

Splintered Sherwood

Oct 25, 2013
I don't get why people think Neuvirth is some kind of net-minding detritus. He's not a bad goalie, and given the right context and environment, he could flourish much the same way that Anderson has in Ottawa.

Sure, he's no John Gibson, but I think at this stage and phase of the Sabres you have to take some risk and gamble on a few players in order to have as many assets available for future trades.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Bh_v6IkIIAEifjh.jpg

We hardly knew ya!

Bones Malone

Game Player
Oct 22, 2010
Buffalo
So we get rid of the guy who understandably doesn't want to be here and a pick that will in all honesty be lucky to ever see the NHL. We get a younger guy with experiance and TM seems to be high on to take his place and we don't have to try and convince someone to come backstop the Panzersabres next year, who could in turn fetch that pick back next TDL if we are really that concerned with it. Also pick up a vet. I'm ok with this. I think it might be a headier move than people realize. Maybe not the next Gratton-Briere, but still good.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Really like the Sabres getting Neuvirth. He's not a great goalie, but never got a fair shot in Washington. Relatively cheap acceptable NHL starter, perfect. Now spend the extra money on someone who can score.

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
Rochester makes out extremely well getting Klesla, which they are at least for the short term. They're a legit contender if he stays.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Well I'm happy to eat that crow, but I've watched a lot of Neuvirth, and I'm pretty sure he's nothing special.

As a Caps fan I think I've watched more of Neuvy than you, but I could be wrong, and I believe he has the potential to be a very good NHL goalie if given the opportunity to play regularly. Circumstances, both in and out of his control, prevented that from happening in DC.

I hope Neuvy's luck turns for him and he seizes the opportunity this trade gives him.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
As a Caps fan I think I've watched more of Neuvy than you, but I could be wrong, and I believe he has the potential to be a very good NHL goalie if given the opportunity to play regularly. Circumstances, both in and out of his control, prevented that from happening in DC.

I hope Neuvy's luck turns for him and he seizes the opportunity this trade gives him.

Pretty much what Murray thinks. I'm willing to give the guy a chance if Murray believes he can be a solid goaltender. Worse case scenario is that he doesn't work out any better in Buffalo than he did in DC and they walk away after next year.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
How does Reto Berra return a 2nd and yet Halak needs a 3rd added to him to bring back Neuvirth....

How does Berra return a 2nd?

On top of that Berra is a UFA after this season.

May mean that Halak should be worth more. But it is also and indication that Neuvirth is worth more than you think because he has term left of his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad