Proposal: BUF-VAN blockbuster

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
You do realize that Adams wants equivalent to 4 1st round picks for Eichel right? So Pettersson+Virtanen+Sutter+Vancouvers 2022 1st round pick top 3 protected doesn't cut it. Sutter is a dump Virtanen has little to no value so it's basically Pettersson+2022 1st round pick for Eichel and that doesn't cut it.
Given Eichel’s cap, and play Vancouver doesn’t trade the younger less expensive Pettersson for Eichel 1 for 1 so it’s a non-starter for Vancouver anyway. Putting Sutter in the trade does nothing he will be UFA. Don’t see Van wanting to have to lose a core piece to fit Eichel into their cap structure.

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
:laugh::laugh:

I fully understand Vancouver fans wanting to keep their young star player, but come on now...

Pettersson has never even been top 10 in goals, assists or points. How is he a top 10 player in the league?

Meanwhile Eichel was top 10 in both goals and points last season, while playing for a terrible team. Only Connor McDavid factors into more total offense for his team. Eichel was #2 in the league, factoring in on something like 60+% of buffalo’s offense.

I don’t know if any GM in the league would take Pettersson over Eichel if given the choice.

This thread is a perfect example of why I normally don’t even click on any Eichel trade threads. I don’t know why I did today...
With your user name I guess no one should expect you to think of this from any other perspective, but try to think of it from Vancouver’s standpoint.
1 - Eichel is really good, and admittedly slightly better than Petey, but Petersson is 2 years younger than Eichel - If you look at their first 3 seasons JE had 177pts in 209 games. 0.85 pts/gm or 69pts/82. In EP’s first 3 seasons he has 153 pts in 165 games, 0.93 pts/gm or 76pts/82.
2 - Eichel makes $10 per, Vancouver can’t add that cap, yes Pettersson is going to get a raise, but it won’t be $10 per. In order to fit Eichel into the Canucks cap (that has been managed like chimp f***ing a tortoise) the Canucks would need to move out another player. So when you’re trying to build the best team some of the individual pieces might not be the best but as a collective the team is better. Obviously by looking at the Oilers and Buffalo having the best individual player does not make you a better team.

Your response is a perfect example of people only looking at 1 side of a deal - and you did that again today.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Petey is worth far more then a 1st or 2 he's a #1 centre and hasn't even hit his peak yet. His first 2 seasons were more productive than Jacks and is already better defensively it makes zero sense for the Nucks especially given the fact any trade involving Jack will be cuz he has asked for a trade.
I could easily see a team that is desperate for a 1c of peteys calibre offer- sheeting him for the max compensation of 4 first-round picks.
Not saying Jack has peaked yet but we have a pretty good idea what he is which is damn good and I'm sure a bidding war would perhaps allow Adams to get close to his asking but Petey has just scratched the surface so nobody knows what his ceiling may be and on top of that we give up a first its just to risky for what's basically a lateral move. I see teams like the Ducks, Kings, Wild, Rangers, Jackets as better partners for the Sabres.
While petey may have put up better offensive numbers, he also played with much better players. Petey played with boeser and then got miller and hughes his 2nd year.

eichel played with Reinhart and Kane the 1st year and just reinhart the 2nd.

That’s a huge difference in linemates.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I wouldn't do this straight up after factoring in contract and age..

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Not a fan of either team
But Pettersson and Eichel aren’t too far off in value in my mind

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Well no shit.

That's Horvat and garbage for Eichel, which is an atrocious offer. Why did you even bother writing out a 2022 4th like that has value?
Juolevi is a former 5th overall pick who will likely be a top 4 d on the leftside for much of his career, Virtanen is a young fiesty middle sixer, Chatty is young and is RD which every team needs, and the 4th is 2022 and not this year cause hopefully the Canucks make the playoffs next year and that pick is lower

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
With your user name I guess no one should expect you to think of this from any other perspective, but try to think of it from Vancouver’s standpoint.
1 - Eichel is really good, and admittedly slightly better than Petey, but Petersson is 2 years younger than Eichel - If you look at their first 3 seasons JE had 177pts in 209 games. 0.85 pts/gm or 69pts/82. In EP’s first 3 seasons he has 153 pts in 165 games, 0.93 pts/gm or 76pts/82.
2 - Eichel makes $10 per, Vancouver can’t add that cap, yes Pettersson is going to get a raise, but it won’t be $10 per. In order to fit Eichel into the Canucks cap (that has been managed like chimp f***ing a tortoise) the Canucks would need to move out another player. So when you’re trying to build the best team some of the individual pieces might not be the best but as a collective the team is better. Obviously by looking at the Oilers and Buffalo having the best individual player does not make you a better team.

Your response is a perfect example of people only looking at 1 side of a deal - and you did that again today.

this is the post I was responding to:

“Pettersson 1 to 1 is better than Eichel, he's a top 10 player in the league and Eichel slots just outside of that.”

And I even started out by saying that I understand Vancouver fans not wanting to trade their young star player. You are right though, I wasn’t looking at both sides of the trade because I wasn’t even addressing the trade proposal. I was addressing the poster claiming that Pettersson is better than Eichel. That he’s a top 10 player in the NHL and Eichel’s not.
That is simply not true. By no metric is Pettersson a top 10 player in the NHL.

That is the only thing I was replying to. If you don’t want to trade Petey for Eichel that’s fine. Just say that.

I also have no idea what you mean by “you did that again today”. I hardly ever post here. This is my first time in months, so I have no clue what post of mine you’d even be referring to. (Edit: maybe you’re confusing me with a poster of a similar name)

As far as your reasoning for not trading Pettersson for Eichel, it makes sense. I have no issue with it.

I’m not naive either. I know that The Sabres will lose any Eichel trade, there’s no doubt in my mind. You’re not getting back a player of Eichel’s caliber in any Eichel trade. They’re likely to get a collection of lesser assets. That’s why I have less than zero interest in trading him at all.

Last edited:

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Well no shit.

That's Horvat and garbage for Eichel, which is an atrocious offer. Why did you even bother writing out a 2022 4th like that has value?

Eichel is a point producing player but looks very pedestrian in other aspect of the game and hardly a competitor, more like the Craig Janney of his generation.
Not sure he gets a premium return.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
this is the post I was responding to:

“Pettersson 1 to 1 is better than Eichel, he's a top 10 player in the league and Eichel slots just outside of that.”

And I even started out by saying that I understand Vancouver fans not wanting to trade their young star player. You are right though, I wasn’t looking at both sides of the trade because I wasn’t even addressing the trade proposal. I was addressing the poster claiming that Pettersson is better than Eichel. That he’s a top 10 player in the NHL and Eichel’s not.
That is simply not true. By no metric is Pettersson a top 10 player in the NHL.

That is the only thing I was replying to. If you don’t want to trade Petey for Eichel that’s fine. Just say that.

I also have no idea what you mean by “you did that again today”. I hardly ever post here. This is my first time in months, so I have no clue what post of mine you’d even be referring to.

As far as your reasoning for not trading Pettersson for Eichel, it makes sense. I have no issue with it.

I’m not naive either. I know that The Sabres will lose any Eichel trade, there’s no doubt in my mind. You’re not getting back a player of Eichel’s caliber in any Eichel trade. They’re likely to get a collection of lesser assets. That’s why I have less than zero interest in trading him at all.
The advanced stats show Pettersson having had an MVP worthy season last year.

Anyway I agree with the rest of your post. I wouldn't want to trade Eichel either, you're unlikely to do better as a result and your team needs to win now and get back to respectability, a bunch of prospects aren't going to do it for you guys, nothing is better for that purpose than having 24 year old Jack Eichel in the middle of his prime. If I were a Buffalo fan, the only thing worth trading Eichel for is firing your ownership, management group and entire front office into the sun.

Who are all these fan pretending that Pettersson is worth more than Eichel.

Hint, he is not.
Look there are more people saying they wouldn't trade Pettersson for Eichel, including me, than there are people saying Pettersson is better. Saying we wouldn't trade him straight up for Eichel is a different statement than saying he's better than Eichel.

Pettersson is younger and therefore fits the Canucks contention window, which is still at least two years away, much better than Eichel.

That's the main point, the main point is not who is better.

Two extra years of Pettersson's prime during our contention window is worth a hell of a lot more than whatever difference exists between Eichel and Pettersson, if any, which is debatable given their career trajectories. Therefore it's pointless and counterproductive to trade Pettersson for Eichel.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeDislikeEich

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Who are all these fan pretending that Pettersson is worth more than Eichel.

Hint, he is not.

I mean I think they're around the same value. Similar career trajectory at same ages and you have to factor in team control. Eichel after this season only has 5 more years of team control and Pettersson hasn't even signed his 2nd contract. So you could probably get anywhere from 8 year long term deal to 11 years bridge+long term deal.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Something built around Pettersson for Eichel. Obviously more coming from Van to make the cap work and to balance the trade more.

Petey and Dahlin together to lead the culture change in Buffalo. Van gets to roll an all American top line of Miller-Eichel-Boeser.

Thoughts?

Off the top of my head, something like:

Pettersson, Virtanen, Sutter (expiring contract), 1st round 2022 Top 3 protected.

For

Eichel
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Canucks decline. Wouldn’t trade EP alone for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad