Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Taylor Hall signs with the Sabres (1 year, $8M) Part 2

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This decision tells a lot about his character. He doesn't care at all about winning, it's all about stats and money. Fair enough I suppose, but you can't win with those players.
Colorado has cap space. If hall is willing to do one year you pay him to go for it

cap space does not roll over.

Avs are limiting their options because their plan is to pay their home grown guys. Fair enough. So when the opportunity to land a big name ufa for one year comes up you should take it rather than lowball the guy.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
I see people propping up the narrative of him being added to appease Eichel. Is getting him for one year really going to sway Eichel that much? I can see only one winner in this deal if he does well there and it's Hall. If he kills it he'll either get a boatload from Buffalo or some other team. Since I like the Sabers, I hope he kills it and stays there with Eichel, but I have a nasty gut feeling he will bolt.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I see people propping up the narrative of him being added to appease Eichel. Is getting him for one year really going to sway Eichel that much? I can see only one winner in this deal if he does well there and it's Hall. If he kills it he'll either get a boatload from Buffalo or some other team. Since I like the Sabers, I hope he kills it and stays there with Eichel, but I have a nasty gut feeling he will bolt.
If he helps get Buffalo into the playoffs surely that makes Jack happy. The young players/prospects get another season to develop. Buffalo can re-sign Hall or sign someone else next off-season. Making the playoffs is exactly the next step required to make Eichel happy. I doubt he is concerned with whether they can repeat or improve on next season until it is over.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Sabres fans have to be happy with this. Very low risk, thanks to COVID19 depressing the market for everyone. He is hoping for another big year so he can cash in for big money next offseason. For this season though, Buffalo gets a shot in the arm to help it compete in the Atlantic.

Reactions: Club

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
If he helps get Buffalo into the playoffs surely that makes Jack happy. The young players/prospects get another season to develop. Buffalo can re-sign Hall or sign someone else next off-season. Making the playoffs is exactly the next step required to make Eichel happy. I doubt he is concerned with whether they can repeat or improve on next season until it is over.

Sure, I get that. It's a gamble they think is worth making. I might not agree with it necessarily, but I can get the logic behind it. Personally, I think making the playoffs will be a tall order playing in the division with Tampa, Boston, Toronto and Montreal. And missing the playoffs and potentially losing Hall as well unless you pay him through the nose might alienate Jack even further. It just looks like a desperation move to me and I hope I am wrong.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This. It keeps Eichel happy by making team more competitive. If buffalo still stinks they can trade him for a pretty good haul at the deadline . Buys Cozens Quinn etc an extra year of development and adds a bonafide second line scoring threat, whether it be him or skinner. Hall also knows he can put up a lot of points with jack, Dahlin, and company and that bodes well For his next deal. Nice work buffalo

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
This decision tells a lot about his character. He doesn't care at all about winning, it's all about stats and money. Fair enough I suppose, but you can't win with those players.
You probably were saying the same things about ROR and Kessel at some point in time, and yet..

Reactions: seagull

Hntz

Jan 6, 2018
Sabres have made some serious moves, yet people are still laughing at them....
Loads of hockey fans gonna be hugely surprised and gonna eat crow next season.

- UPL at the net as the starter, the best goalie outside NHL after Askarov
- Jack Eichel, Eric Staal, Cody Eakin as the top 9 center trio
- Rasmus Dahlin, Henri Jokiharju, Rasmus Ristolainen, Brandon Montour, Brian McCabe as the top 5 D
- Taylor Hall-Jack Eichel-Victor Olofsson is a potential top tier 1st line and ranks really high vs any NHL team
- You put Jeff Skinner with someone as super talented as like Eric Staal is, as the 2nd line duo and perhaps
add 6 foot 6 all around player Tage Thompson with them
- And you still have quality bottom 6, important PK players like Girgensons, Okposo, Rieder, Lazar,
and Asplund, who can play in the top 6 as well, if necessary

I have no idea why people are laughing at the Sabres. That 2020-21 roster looks really well built, top to bottom.

I agree with most of the things mentioned in this post, but that UPL part caught me off guard. Do you really think he’s going to be the starter? Best goalie outside of NHL, really??

Reactions: Ratatoskr

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Why are people so sure Buffalo can't be a playoff team?

Eichel, Hall and Reinhart are good starting pieces up front. Skinner is only 28 and can easily bounce back. Staal is still good.

On defense Dahlin should take the next step. Ristolainen is also coming off a pretty good year.

Goaltending is the biggest questionmark. Ullmark took a nice step forward last season, but missed the last couple of months due to injury. Buffalo should try to upgrade from Hutton but the options are limited now. Maybe bring Ryan Miller back for one year? Aaron Dell is still out there as well, as is Michael Hutchinson even though that's a bigger gamble.

Edit: I even forgot about Olofsson up front.

Last edited:

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Sabres have made some serious moves, yet people are still laughing at them....
Loads of hockey fans gonna be hugely surprised and gonna eat crow next season.

- UPL at the net as the starter, the best goalie outside NHL after Askarov
- Jack Eichel, Eric Staal, Cody Eakin as the top 9 center trio
- Rasmus Dahlin, Henri Jokiharju, Rasmus Ristolainen, Brandon Montour, Brian McCabe as the top 5 D
- Taylor Hall-Jack Eichel-Victor Olofsson is a potential top tier 1st line and ranks really high vs any NHL team
- You put Jeff Skinner with someone as super talented as like Eric Staal is, as the 2nd line duo and perhaps
add 6 foot 6 all around player Tage Thompson with them
- And you still have quality bottom 6, important PK players like Girgensons, Okposo, Rieder, Lazar,
and Asplund, who can play in the top 6 as well, if necessary

I have no idea why people are laughing at the Sabres. That 2020-21 roster looks really well built, top to bottom.

Probably because people said the same thing last season and the year before that etc. It doesn't matter who they draft or what moves they make. The last bunch of years it has been the same song and dance. Team looks decent on paper and yet they always fall flat on their faces. lol. It has to turn around eventually but yeah, "looking good on paper" hasn't exactly helped them. They could fall again and no one would be surprised.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
Don’t worry Taylor they used to call ROR a loser. You get to play with either Eichel or EStaal, nothing wrong with that.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
He should fire his agent because he didn't jump on a lowball offer?

6.5 is insulting, especially for 1 year. And I don't even like Hall.
He has made plenty of $ and he'll make even more next year. He could've taken less to win the cup. It's $6.5M not $1M...

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Hall to Seattle is a perfect match and I already wrote about it a year ago. Then he can sign a massive contract (even if the cap doesn't go up) with the team with all the cap space, become captain and face of the franchise and make x2 on all the ads. Need to play this season somewhere and Buffalo is not the worst option so why not?

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Taking 1.5 mill less to play for a team that hasn't made it past the second round in 20 years is hardly a wise move.

Av's are hardly a sure fire champion and Sabres are hardly a sure fire basement dweller.

Even if the Sabres do play bad, Hall can still be moved at the deadline to a contender who has just as good of a shot as the Av's if not better.
Live in the past if you like. Avalanche has an amazing, young team. They're better than they've been in years. And Hall would've made them even better.

And yes, Buffalo has a way bigger chance of missing the playoffs than the Colorado has of not making it past the 2nd round.

Also at least it's the 2nd round of the playoffs. For someone who's barely been there, he should crave some playoff action.

Oct 18, 2011
I wonder how many teams he will help get #1 pick in the draft before he retires.

He has made countless millions, if he's going to sign for 1 year he might as well take less and try to win the cup.v

He's barely been in the playoffs during his tenure in the NHL. You play to win, so where's the hunger?

I'd be vary to sign him for more than 4 years. His body is weak and his mentality is a huge questionmark and the rumours has it that he's an asshole.

What a disappointing career so far.
The pandemic cost him 40 to 50 million dollars. Not chump change for any athlete

Oct 18, 2011
Live in the past if you like. Avalanche has an amazing, young team. They're better than they've been in years. And Hall would've made them even better.

And yes, Buffalo has a way bigger chance of missing the playoffs than the Colorado has of not making it past the 2nd round.

Also at least it's the 2nd round of the playoffs. For someone who's barely been there, he should crave some playoff action.
Yes Avs have very good talent but there isn't yet a track record of post season success

Statistically Buffalo has a better chance of the playoffs than the Avs getting to the WCF

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00