GDT: BUF @ STL 8pm TV:MSG Radio:WGR - The end of Movember

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Frustrating game. They dominated for long stretches. The shots were 31-13 toward the end of the second. They just need to clean up some D zone stuff, and UPL needs to play better. Hopefully, he's not imploding. We saw him dominate for a month, then regress.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Macbanan

Dec 28, 2013
Uppsala, Sweden
A game where the mistakes were just too costly to overcome, despite good play.

UPL needed to make a few more saves but mostly he was just hung out to dry.
Though I still view UPL as an AHL goalie who's had a good strech of games more than anything else.

Defensive structure wasn't non existant, but it just breaks down too often. Power lacks awareness and discipline and Samuelsson just looks unskilled unfortunately, like a version of Ristolainen or old man Dan Girardi, who blocks shots and plays big but in the end just causes turnovers and is hemmed in. Ryan had a bad game as well.

They overwhelmed STL offensively, though some of it was a reckless and unsustainable (like Cozens deking two defenders as the last man on the blue line). But they played a skilled game and could have had a few more goals. I liked seeing that, especially since it's been lacking this season.

I still believe they can make the playoffs and the next game will be interesting as well.

Reactions: BuffaloMango

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
The expectation that they are a good/playoff team seems to be weighing on them. Dahlin looks dour. The frustration is evident on many of their faces. There are few bright faces. I guess when the hole is too deep they will get their vibes back. The slow starts are puzzling. The NHL schedule is public. Download it to your phone with start time. Puzzle solved.

Reactions: ForsbergMoDo21

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
11-7 works for this team because they don't have 12 quality forwards. Gives flexibility if a D is off. Stay 500 until Tage and Quinn return.
This team doesn’t have 7 quality defensemen either. Playing a 11-7 just shows an inability to make a decision on who to sit for defenseman because they want to rush development of guys (see RyJo).

And this is more head scratching as the team has plenty of cap space to go out and get a couple of vets if they see fit whether at the forward position or defense. Playing a 11-7 as often as they do is just a ways to hide that the GM didn't do enough in the offseason to field a competitive team while not trying to make it obvious it's another developmental season for the organization.

Reactions: KeyserSoze81

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
This team doesn’t have 7 quality defensemen either. Playing a 11-7 just shows an inability to make a decision on who to sit for defenseman because they want to rush development of guys (see RyJo).

And this is more head scratching as the team has plenty of cap space to go out and get a couple of vets if they see fit whether at the forward position or defense. Playing a 11-7 as often as they do is just a ways to hide that the GM didn't do enough in the offseason to field a competitive team while not trying to make it obvious it's another developmental season for the organization.
Actually they do. Two of your top 6 is out, including your #1C. Hard for a young team to overcome that. Pushes everyone down the lineup too. Donny needs to stop changing lines and now give these guys consistency.

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I dont hate KA but I don't love him either. He has done some good things, but appears incapable of recognizing the holes and dead weight in the lineup, and being proactive about building a balanced lineup. He is over relying on Granato to shape young players to fit all their needs, which is just not possible with this prospect pool. They have lots of talent, but too many of the same guys. Some need to be traded for different types of players to balance the roster.

The bottom of the dmen lineup is better, but we are still missing a top 4 dman. Even if we assume UPL is finally capable of being a NHL 1B or backup, we still needed a proven piece to pair with him. (Levi slipping was very predictable.) Our bottom six forwards are not the right guys, and don't have the right skillset. We still lack a bottom six possession center. Neither Krebs or Jost fit that role.

If KA waits to fix this roster, they are not making the playoffs. I am uncertain with Granato, but its hard to assess some of it given the roster holes and dead wood.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
If Granato was here for only a few months I could see blaming the players for not playing/having/following a defensive system. How many years does it take?

I find it hard to believe that a good coach can't get this team to play offense and defense.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
You are either with the fancy analytics people or with the terrorists.
That's kinda funny because seemingly any time someone brings up analytics on the boards they are met with countless people screeching at them to use their eyes and calling them names. I very rarely see anyone insulting anyone else for using the eye test but you say PDO once and you have 10 people telling you you suck and don't understand anything about hockey. One side is far more aggressive and it's not the side with the people who like stats.

Last edited:
Reactions: BFLO

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
People need to be realistic when it comes to Quinn.. he isn't going to.come back and be a savior. It could take until next season before he is feeling normal ..if ever.
Not saying he's a savior.

A reasonably healthy Quinn improves the roster. Are you writing off his season (or career) already?

You certainly don't need help cherry- picking a self-serving quote from a much longer post.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Any good Hulu recommendations?
The Bear

That's kinda funny because seemingly any time someone brings up analytics on the boards they are met with countless people screeching at them to use their eyes and calling them names. I very rarely see anyone insulting anyone else for using the eye test but you say PDO once and you have 10 people telling you you suck and don't understand anything about hockey. One side is far more aggressive and it's not the side with the people who like stats.
Ehhhh I consider myself a bit of a fence sitter on both sides but there’s definitely some smugness from plenty of twitter users on the side of stats. Where the numbers are the finite answer.

Reactions: Chainshot

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Not saying he's a savior.

A reasonably healthy Quinn improves the roster. Are you writing off his season (or career) already?

You certainly don't need help cherry- picking a self-serving quote from a much longer post.
Season probably yeah

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad