GDT: BUF @ STL 8pm TV:MSG Radio:WGR - The end of Movember

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The Bear

Ehhhh I consider myself a bit of a fence sitter on both sides but there’s definitely some smugness from plenty of twitter users on the side of stats. Where the numbers are the finite answer.
Smugness or disagreeing with people regardless of evidence, falls short of flat out insults for me. I can deal with someone who simply won't change their mind no matter what because they think they are smart over someone who starts throwing insults as soon as there is a disagreement.

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
That's kinda funny because seemingly any time someone brings up analytics on the boards they are met with countless people screeching at them to use their eyes and calling them names. I very rarely see anyone insulting anyone else for using the eye test but you say PDO once and you have 10 people telling you you suck and don't understand anything about hockey. One side is far more aggressive and it's not the side with the people who like stats.
Do you have statistics to back up your claim?
I see plenty of stats people using histronics or back up personal biases.
Its not like this numbers are a definitive absolute.
They are in need of peoples subjective interpretation & knowledge of the game.
They are anything but foolproof

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
A game where the mistakes were just too costly to overcome, despite good play.

UPL needed to make a few more saves but mostly he was just hung out to dry.
Though I still view UPL as an AHL goalie who's had a good strech of games more than anything else.

Defensive structure wasn't non existant, but it just breaks down too often. Power lacks awareness and discipline and Samuelsson just looks unskilled unfortunately, like a version of Ristolainen or old man Dan Girardi, who blocks shots and plays big but in the end just causes turnovers and is hemmed in. Ryan had a bad game as well.

They overwhelmed STL offensively, though some of it was a reckless and unsustainable (like Cozens deking two defenders as the last man on the blue line). But they played a skilled game and could have had a few more goals. I liked seeing that, especially since it's been lacking this season.

I still believe they can make the playoffs and the next game will be interesting as well.

The next game. Oooffff. We haven't won in Carolina since 2016 I believe I read somewhere. Then a Sunday night at home. This team is bipolar but somehow has to find wins here.

An unskilled version of Risto gave me a chuckle!

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
They have to be the most consistently unprepared, unengaged team in the league this year.
It was a cleverly hatched conspiracy by Ott (lol) to have an extended pre-game ceremony that required the Sabres to personally endure on ice. The former Sabres captain knew the team would lose focus having to watch the ceremonies. Likely justified because Turgeon was a former Sabre.

The Sabres weren't sufficiently aware enough to object and declare there was no point to their participation in a puck drop ceremony of a couple of new HoF- ers. Pointless!

Turgeon gave the puck away to a young fan and frankly, who thinks of him as being a St Louis Blue? Hell, he was an Av and a Dallas Star too.

I would have told the Blues, we'll come out for the anthem and the official puck drop.

Morons......

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Do you have statistics to back up your claim?
I see plenty of stats people using histronics or back up personal biases.
Its not like this numbers are a definitive absolute.
They are in need of peoples subjective interpretation & knowledge of the game.
They are anything but foolproof
Who are you even arguing against? Please quote and bold any part of my post that said stats people were infallible, or that they don't use histrionics, or that they don't have personal biases, or that they are always right and numbers are definitive and absolute. I am begging you to quote where i said any of that.

I said the moment you bring up stats on these boards half the posters go hostile and start insulting you. You were half way there, you got to telling me that I don't know what I am talking about (despite not even reading what I was saying and arguing against a point I didn't make). Just forgot to end your comment with "use your eyes nerd!" All because I dared to even say the word stats. You focused so much on me even mentioning stats you completely missed my argument and made up your own for me.

Last edited:

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
Who are you even arguing against? Please quote and bold any part of my post that said stats people were infallible, or that they don't use histrionics, or that they don't have personal biases, or that they are always right and numbers are definitive and absolute. I am begging you to quote where i said any of that.

I said the moment you bring up stats on these boards half the posters go hostile and start insulting you. You were half way there, you got to telling me that I don't know what I am talking about (despite not even reading what I was saying and arguing against a point I didn't make). Just forgot to end your comment with "use your eyes nerd!" All because I dared to even say the word stats. You focused so much on me even mentioning stats you completely missed my argument and made up your own for me.
do you have any stats to back up your claim that people are more aggressive towards people that are bringing up analytics than they are versus the "eye test people"?

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
do you have any stats to back up your claim that people are more aggressive towards people that are bringing up analytics than they are versus the "eye test people"?
No, and thats really not relevant since I never said "statistically people who like stats get made fun of more". Like I very clearly related my own personal experiences I have had on these boards. I also never once said the eye test or personal subjective judgement is wrong. So I am really unclear as to why you feel like this matters at all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2