Proposal: BUF - SEA crazy idea

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Based on something that I saw on HFBoards.

Let's say that Seattle assumes that Vegas 2.0 is impossible due to teams not willing to give high quality "win now" pieces after what happened 5 years ago so Seattle wants to build patiently.

Here come the Sabres and offer this to end Skinner fiasco:

BUF 1st 2021 + BUF 1st 2022 + BUF 1st 2023 + Jeff Skinner

for

future considerations/whatever

Originally, I thought about adding Cozens here but prime Cozens fits Eichel's prime better than those picks.

Who says no in this scenario?

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Shouldn't this be the picksto take Skinner in the ED? Unless they still want to lose an extra skater? I'd think it'd be better if Buffalo offered a prospect rather than the 1st in 2023

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ouch. Id bet no contract is bad enough for a team to caugh up 3x 1st to get rid of it. Especially when those might even end up being lottery tickets. Thats just crazy.

It will take couple of years, but if Skinner doesnt start rebounding im sure he will develope an weird illness that puts him to LTIR for the remainder of his career.

Also his couple last years will be tradable for a rebuilding internal cap team if it needs to happen. Total earnings of 12m and total cap hit of 18m. Its a long suffer before that, but im sure they rather take that than sabotage their future for 9m cap space.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

hmc1987

Jun 2, 2019

Let's say that Seattle assumes that Vegas 2.0 is impossible due to teams not willing to give high quality "win now" pieces after what happened 5 years ago so Seattle wants to build patiently.

for

Originally, I thought about adding Cozens here but prime Cozens fits Eichel's prime better than those picks.

Why the hell would Buffalo do this ?

Skinner is just as likely to score 30 goals next season tbh...zero consistency and hes a hot/cold player.

Buf trades Skinner w/ ~$1-1.5m retained + 1st round pick 2022

Seattle picks player of Buffalo choosing at expansion draft

All of this is pending Skinner approval of course

Last edited:

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Based on the initial reaction, it seems that value favors Seattle quite significantly.

So the fair return would be following?

Two firsts + One second

For

Obligation to pick Skinner in the ED

PS. I personally feel that here it is Seattle who would say "no".

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Bottom five team in the league giving up three firsts to save some money?

We have no need for cap, especially since our owners trade away star players for cap dumps+b prospects. The crap that will play for Buffalo next season will be Jeff Skinner, depressed prospects and the abysmal return for Jack Eichel.

Cozens smile will soon turn into button down lips and a glassy stare.

We're heading into another decade of tanking baby!

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
If you had confidence Buffalo would be a top 15 nhl team you would make this trade all day every day. Problem is if you lost a Wright and 2 top 6 picks then it gets nasty.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If Buffalo wants to get rid of the Skinner contract they have to pay up. Skinner is owed $54Million over 6 years and getting rid of that is going to require a stiff price and I don't think the rough equivalent of three firsts is out of the question. So why not offer Seattle those assets to get that contract off the books? Skinner would still have to waive his NMC but he would probably appreciate the chance to make a change.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
To buy out Skinner it 29,666,667. 10m per pick is very reasonable and if anything light UNLESS you think sabres are bottom 5 all 3 years.

Please stop with Skinner could score 30 goals. Skinner can't score with $500 in the red light district this year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, picks may not end up being lottery and this isn't just "a bad" contract. It's 9M until 2027 for an useless player.

No though picks will be in the lottery because it's Buffalo and they are getting worse by the day

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
If Buffalo wants to get rid of the Skinner contract they have to pay up. Skinner is owed $54Million over 6 years and getting rid of that is going to require a stiff price and I don't think the rough equivalent of three firsts is out of the question. So why not offer Seattle those assets to get that contract off the books? Skinner would still have to waive his NMC but he would probably appreciate the chance to make a change.

If you had confidence Buffalo would be a top 15 nhl team you would make this trade all day every day. Problem is if you lost a Wright and 2 top 6 picks then it gets nasty.

So we are finally getting some mixed answers here.

The thing is that you have to pull (or don't) the trigger on the deal without knowing where those picks end up. If you knew, it'd be easy, if picks are late Buffalo wins even if they give up 3 of them, if they end up lottery and one of them becomes Wright, ugh...

I think that this discussion is biased by the fact that there are not many Seattle fans here because I personally think that if the price drops from three picks to two picks, it gets ugly for a receiving site.

Let's assume that you are Devils, Wild or Ducks fan and the trade is made for two picks.

Let's say they end up being #8 in 2021 and #15 in 2022 (numbers pulled out of my ass but they're not that unrealistic). Now it's entirely possible that you don't draft a top line forward nor top pair defenseman with either one of those but you remain stuck with a 9M contract until 2027, which covers potential contending window of ALL teams that are currently rebuilding.

And for teams that are contenders now, adding 9M of Skinner significantly decreases the chances of contending now so I'm not even going to analyze this because it makes zero sense from needs' perspective.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Teams didn’t give “high quality win now pieces” to Vegas. They gave underutilized, under valued, short track record players that needed a chance to play. In many cases they paid handsomely to give those players to Vegas to protect overplayed, “win now”, coaches pet players.

I don’t know if teams learned from that.....Jack Roslovic in Winnipeg comes to mind already.

Reactions: hidek91

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
So we are finally getting some mixed answers here.

The thing is that you have to pull (or don't) the trigger on the deal without knowing where those picks end up. If you knew, it'd be easy, if picks are late Buffalo wins even if they give up 3 of them, if they end up lottery and one of them becomes Wright, ugh...

I think that this discussion is biased by the fact that there are not many Seattle fans here because I personally think that if the price drops from three picks to two picks, it gets ugly for a receiving site.

Let's assume that you are Devils, Wild or Ducks fan and the trade is made for two picks.

Let's say they end up being #8 in 2021 and #15 in 2022 (numbers pulled out of my ass but they're not that unrealistic). Now it's entirely possible that you don't draft a top line forward nor top pair defenseman with either one of those but you remain stuck with a 9M contract until 2027, which covers potential contending window of ALL teams that are currently rebuilding.

And for teams that are contenders now, adding 9M of Skinner significantly decreases the chances of contending now so I'm not even going to analyze this because it makes zero sense from needs' perspective.
If Sabers could trade pick 8, 15 and say 45(round 2) over next 2 years you jump all over that.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
So a team that has been awful for many years now is going to gut their future by giving up 3 first round picks to shed a $9MM cap hit, which they may or may not even fill with other salaries?

Skinner has been awful, but he's still just 28 so there's a chance he rebounds to be a decent (though certainly not a $9MM) player, particularly under a new coaching staff which seems imminent.

He also has a history of concussions, so he's also one big hit away from possibly never playing again which (though gruesome to even think about or admit) would solve Buffalo's issues immediately.

The price it would cost Buffalo to move that contract is rightfully so absurd, that it's not even realistic to contemplate.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

for

ROFLMAO.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Based on the initial reaction, it seems that value favors Seattle quite significantly.

So the fair return would be following?

Two firsts + One second

For

Obligation to pick Skinner in the ED

PS. I personally feel that here it is Seattle who would say "no".
What are you smoking, dude? Value favors Seattle quite significantly, so you turn one of the firsts into a second? Wow, that totally evens things out. :rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad