Proposal: BUF - SEA crazy idea

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
In my post I used the term 'rough equivalent of firsts'. It doesn't have to be lottery picks. Buffalo could offer, for example, 3 second round picks, 2 prospects and a roster player (in addition to Skinner). A package like that may actually be better for Seattle, especially when it comes to cap stuff down the road. If Buffalo wants to get rid of what now looks like dead cap space and salary over six years they will have to pay for it and Seattle is a logical destination because they currently have a pile of available space plus a new coaching staff who could probably help Skinner's career recover.

SRHRangers

Aug 18, 2020
I personally wouldn't do this deal and would just hope Skinner can his head out of his you know what, and the Sabres are a lottery team.

But LMAO at anyone thinking that contract would be dealt off with one first round pick.

Patrick Marleau at 40 and at one year left and less AAV, netted a first rounder by itself.

This is 6 more years at 9 mil AAV.

OP even admitted that it's an outside the box offer.

wilfred

Jan 13, 2010
New Bunswick
Based on something that I saw on HFBoards.

Let's say that Seattle assumes that Vegas 2.0 is impossible due to teams not willing to give high quality "win now" pieces after what happened 5 years ago so Seattle wants to build patiently.

Here come the Sabres and offer this to end Skinner fiasco:

BUF 1st 2021 + BUF 1st 2022 + BUF 1st 2023 + Jeff Skinner

for

future considerations/whatever

Originally, I thought about adding Cozens here but prime Cozens fits Eichel's prime better than those picks.

Who says no in this scenario?
If Ottawa could do a go fund me page, i am sure we could raise enough to make this happen. Lets do it.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I personally wouldn't do this deal and would just hope Skinner can his head out of his you know what, and the Sabres are a lottery team.

But LMAO at anyone thinking that contract would be dealt off with one first round pick.

Patrick Marleau at 40 and at one year left and less AAV, netted a first rounder by itself.

This is 6 more years at 9 mil AAV.

OP even admitted that it's an outside the box offer.
The Marleau trade is a great comparison. If Buffalo ownership wants to throw $54 million down the drain then they can have at it. If they want to get rid of their problem they have to pay up and in today's NHL that is not going to be cheap.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Fans really need to realize these 2-3x 1st round picks for a cap dump NEVER EVER happen. It's craziness. You're better off just riding out the bad deal.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Based on something that I saw on HFBoards.

Let's say that Seattle assumes that Vegas 2.0 is impossible due to teams not willing to give high quality "win now" pieces after what happened 5 years ago so Seattle wants to build patiently.

Here come the Sabres and offer this to end Skinner fiasco:

BUF 1st 2021 + BUF 1st 2022 + BUF 1st 2023 + Jeff Skinner

for

future considerations/whatever

Originally, I thought about adding Cozens here but prime Cozens fits Eichel's prime better than those picks.

Who says no in this scenario?

This isn’t just a crazy idea, this is one of the worst ideas I’ve ever seen.

Obviously Buffalo says no. They’re trending towards a lottery pick this year. I doubt they’d even want to give up the one pick to get rid of Skinner, let alone 3.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
As a Wild fan, would you do it? Two 1sts + 2nd for so much dead cap space until 2027?
Sure, I would trade Johansson (expiring) and Rask (1 yr x 4M) for any combination of two 1sts and a 2nd from Buffalo's next three drafts. A GM can just figure the rest out later and trade other players to get under the cap from season to season. You're basically asking if the Wild would trade Greenway, Foligno, Hartman and Soucy (role players) at certain points over the next 2 or 3 years in exchange for 2 lottery picks and a 2nd round pick, plus whatever assets those players would bring back in a trade. Any team would do that.

johnsic

Nov 12, 2009
What about Seattle takes Rasmus Dahlin and Jeff Skinner. Buffalo saves huge money and loses one quality defender on a decline. Seattle bets on Dahlin and Skinner rebounding.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
What about Seattle takes Rasmus Dahlin and Jeff Skinner. Buffalo saves huge money and loses one quality defender on a decline. Seattle bets on Dahlin and Skinner rebounding.
Seattle is only allowed one Sabre but there's nothing stopping Buffalo from trading Dahlin in exchange for 'future considerations' (With that consideration being the drafting of Skinner).

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
1) why would Buffalo do this
2) people forget Vegas took a lot of guys who were in final year of their contracts to deal at deadline for futures. They had intended to be bad....then they were good and had all these picks and players they used to make the team even better.

Reactions: Sota Popinski

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
This would be veritable franchise suicide.

Buffalo would have to be banking that the departure of Skinner somehow fires the team to competitiveness, and makes those picks late first rounders. And even then its harsh. And if a compliance buyout came along they would be kicking themselves.

Meanwhile they get rid of Skinner, have no high end help coming through the pipeline and, what? Go back to the UFA to help add to their team? Landing them in the same spot in 2-3 years?

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
Seattle laughs right to the lottery for three years and buys out Skinner in 2023

Checked the buyout calculator and you're probably right:

upload_2021-3-2_18-56-26.png

So based on that, the value is more along the two 1sts, not three.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Anyone rebuilding team would happily take on Skinner's contract if they could choose one of Buffalo's unprotected picks within the next 3 years.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I'd say most likely scenario is Buffalo cleaning up their own mess with a buyout in 2023. Keep the high picks and hope a new coach can get something out of Skinner until that time.
The question then becomes does the ownership want to spend this kind of money to deal with a mistake of their own making? Do they want this much money going down the toilet when 2-3 high picks and maybe some prospects and roster players can get them out of it?

sandybridge

Welcome Taylor
Jun 24, 2018
Fans really need to realize these 2-3x 1st round picks for a cap dump NEVER EVER happen. It's craziness. You're better off just riding out the bad deal.

Exactly.

I don't understand how people on this board can overvalue cap space to such a degree. One high first would be A LOT to ask to move a contract, 3 is just SETI type of insaneness.

Reactions: Sabresmp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->