Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres re-sign G Linus Ullmark (1 year, $1.325M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Seems to me that Hutton was quite good for the first half of the year but when it became evident the Sabres were NOT going to make the Playoffs, they went into Tank mode. That obviously impacted the Goalies' stats. By significantly upgrading the Defence and maturity from key Forwards, the Sabres should contend for the Playoffs all season long.

Hutton had an unsustainably high save percentage during their winning streak and then he and Ullmark both struggled over the course of the rest of the season. They had a terrible defensive scheme and poorly designed and executed breakouts/transition. Add in some highly inconsistent netminding and it was easy to see how they failed.

They had multiple tenders take steps back under Allen over the last few years. All of Hutton, Ullmark, Johnson, and Lehner had reverse VH issues, short-side problems holding the post, 5-hole gaps when sort of paddle-down (but not really) -- it was the same mistakes over and over again. We suspect it was what Allen was trying to teach them that was regularly a problem. Now that he's gone, perhaps they get a bounce in regards to how their netminders play, at least in their consistency.

There was no "Tank mode".

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
When every single one of your top players is a minus on the season, then there’s something seriously wrong. It’s not on the goalie, but in that situation it doesn’t help that your two goalies are below average starters.

You know your team better than I do, so if you’re telling me that you’re fine with the goalies you currently have, then I’m just going to have to shut up as a neutral fan. :)
Bad teams have minus players, this isnt shocking. The sabres had one of the worst systems in the league last year, a coach who refused to look at data to put together a lineup, and inconsistent goalies behind a terrible system. Fix all but the goalies and I bet the 2 we have end up looking just fine. Ullmark was more of a concern to me than Hutton last year. I think this year they go to a 60/40 split, but all is irrelevant long term because UPL is the answer there. Its just a matter of how soon him and whoever they want as the backup are the 2. Hutton has this year and next on his deal and Ullmark as we see is signed for 1 more year then I believe still a RFA

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
Goalies are a product of the team in front of them, which is why I dont understand the massive deals teams give goalies that have 0 cups. If you limit high danger chances any goalie who made it far enough to be in the NHL will be good enough to win with.

Bennington last season as an example. Blues were the best at limiting shots to low danger areas

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
No I don't. That's why things like this should've been thought about ages ago. When's the last time you had a good starter?

I go to the toilet before I **** my pants, not after.
Hutton is good...cant tell with the D in front of him....Lehner wasn't any better with the same team and Hutton led the league in save pct on the Blues a couple years ago. Ullmark was undefeated in regulation till the Sabres stopped playing in front of him. Sabres fans got to watch the team last year and we all know it wasn't the goalies fault we were losing. Even when we were ranked 1st we were allowing the most pct of shots in the slot and dangerous areas if anything the goalies gave us a great start.

Last edited:

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Hutton is good...cant tell with the D in front of him....Lehner wasn't any better with the same team and Hutton led the league in save pct on the Blues a couple years ago. Ullmark was undefeated in regulation till the Sabres stopped playing in front of him. Sabres fans got to watch the team last year and we all know it wasn't the goalies fault we were losing. Even when we were ranked 1st we were allowing the most pct of shots in the slot and dangerous areas if anything the goalies gave us a great start.

He's had one amazing season where he started 32 games with St Louis. I'll give you that.

I'm just saying that he's a 33-year old career backup with stats over his career being mediocre.

I may well be wrong, and he'll compete for the vezina next season, but I wouldn't put any money on it.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Hutton is a low-cost place holder who is reportedly a great teammate. He's an average NHL tender. Ullmark's challenge is to step up and over him which it looks like he has the tools to do, but did not take the mantle last year. If he doesn't this year, then there is definitely cause for concern.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Carter Hutton 3.23 gaa and .894 sv%

Like I said, he's a career backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad