Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres re-sign G Linus Ullmark (1 year, $1.325M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Critical year for him. He needs to steal Hutton's spot by year's end or he may have to fight for his backup with Johansson/UPL.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
That puts Buffalo about 1.1M over the cap. Something has to give in either Sbodka buy out, or one of the D traded. A Bogo LTIR is coming but they still need to be compliant on day one.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
That puts Buffalo about 1.1M over the cap. Something has to give in either Sbodka buy out, or one of the D traded. A Bogo LTIR is coming but they still need to be compliant on day one.

Yiu can send mitts or dahlin down in paper thrn call thrm back up against LTIR space.

Reactions: kenfury

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Capfriendly has them 1.059 over the cap with a roster of 24. Sending down hunwick saves 1.075 so they are fine with a full 23 player roster.

For LTIR and day one maybe this is helpful:

How the Flyers can maximize their salary cap space

Reactions: tsujimoto74

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Huge year for him and he needs to make it count every game he starts. Im honestly not overly high on him but hopefully he has a real good upcoming season for the Sabres. VERY cheap goalie duo with him and Hutton!

Its crazy that with a combined goalie cap of 4.08 mill that Buffalo is so tight against the cap limit. I had no idea and just assumed they had a ton of space

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
No need for any Sobotkas.

Why spread his cap hit over two years? Just waive him. Let him go play in Rochester. Or, he'll walk to Europe and the Sabres can terminate his contract.

Same with Hunwick.

Botterill can get to a playable 23 man roster by waiving Sobotka, Hunwick, and Wilson.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Why spread his cap hit over two years? Just waive him. Let him go play in Rochester. Or, he'll walk to Europe and the Sabres can terminate his contract.

Same with Hunwick.

Botterill can get to a playable 23 man roster by waiving Sobotka, Hunwick, and Wilson.
Because we would not have any capspace for mid-season aquisitions. Id rather buy him out safely now and have some room rather than having to give up assets midseason to dump a contract.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
While it appears there is cap issues, i actually like the way they have their situation set up moving forward. With Okposo being the only real turd in the forward crops (leave skinner alone, it's done) you have your whole second tier playing for their money this year.

Reinhart, Rodrigues, Mittelstadt are definitely long term plans, Mittelstadt isn't eligible for an offer sheet so Buffalo has great leverage there. These three need to have great years to cash, and there looks to be a decent chunk of money to do it.

the other group of ufas to be are interesting, but if i'm sitting in management this year is a great way to assess who WANTS to be here. not only do you have a group of 6 forward (4 primarily you're watching) competing for their next contracts - if they are having a good year you can talk during the season and gage who can be worked into your long term plans. Sheary, Vesey, Girgensons, Larsson are the 4 i'm thinking of.

there is no rush to trade Risto in my opinion, you have 11+ coming off after the season with scandella/bogosian/hunwick with only montour and nelson to worry about, that is a nice position to be in

goalies - WHO WANTS IT :)

i like their setup moving forward - Gm looks to have more control moving forward than some other teams

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
That’s only assuming that Botterill doesn’t unload anyone mid-season.
Unloading anyone midseason that is useless will cost assets. Buying out Sobotka coat us nothing as the cap hit for next year is largely irrelevant due to clearing a number of bad other contracts this offseason.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
While it appears there is cap issues, i actually like the way they have their situation set up moving forward. With Okposo being the only real turd in the forward crops (leave skinner alone, it's done) you have your whole second tier playing for their money this year.

Reinhart, Rodrigues, Mittelstadt are definitely long term plans, Mittelstadt isn't eligible for an offer sheet so Buffalo has great leverage there. These three need to have great years to cash, and there looks to be a decent chunk of money to do it.

the other group of ufas to be are interesting, but if i'm sitting in management this year is a great way to assess who WANTS to be here. not only do you have a group of 6 forward (4 primarily you're watching) competing for their next contracts - if they are having a good year you can talk during the season and gage who can be worked into your long term plans. Sheary, Vesey, Girgensons, Larsson are the 4 i'm thinking of.

there is no rush to trade Risto in my opinion, you have 11+ coming off after the season with scandella/bogosian/hunwick with only montour and nelson to worry about, that is a nice position to be in

goalies - WHO WANTS IT :)

i like their setup moving forward - Gm looks to have more control moving forward than some other teams
Sabres have a ton of dead weight coming off the books for next seasons UFA crop. They can splurge on a player or 2 if they can convince some talent to come. Having a good season this year will go a long way in showing soon to be UFAs we are trending up. If they blow it again, they are in a terrible situation. They wont attract any top talent, which you need to fill in some of the holes we have missed drafting. I might be in the minority, but I think the 6 D we end up committing to long term are going to be really fun to watch. So much potential for high even pace hockey with Dahlin/Montour/Pilut/Miller/Joker and then you have a couple stay at home guys like McCabe and Borgen

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Because we would not have any capspace for mid-season aquisitions. Id rather buy him out safely now and have some room rather than having to give up assets midseason to dump a contract.

Mid-season aquisitions are never a good thing. Zero cap space heading into the season is what you want. That way your gm cannot make a stupid decision at the trade deadline. Out of the last 4 cup winners, there's only two names that actually had a little impact, hainsey(2017) and Schultz(2016) for Pittsburgh and even then those were small caphits with retention. Washington and st Louis had zero mid season additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad