Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Sabres re-sign G Linus Ullmark (1 year, $1.325M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
While it appears there is cap issues, i actually like the way they have their situation set up moving forward. With Okposo being the only real turd in the forward crops (leave skinner alone, it's done) you have your whole second tier playing for their money this year.

Reinhart, Rodrigues, Mittelstadt are definitely long term plans, Mittelstadt isn't eligible for an offer sheet so Buffalo has great leverage there. These three need to have great years to cash, and there looks to be a decent chunk of money to do it.

the other group of ufas to be are interesting, but if i'm sitting in management this year is a great way to assess who WANTS to be here. not only do you have a group of 6 forward (4 primarily you're watching) competing for their next contracts - if they are having a good year you can talk during the season and gage who can be worked into your long term plans. Sheary, Vesey, Girgensons, Larsson are the 4 i'm thinking of.

there is no rush to trade Risto in my opinion, you have 11+ coming off after the season with scandella/bogosian/hunwick with only montour and nelson to worry about, that is a nice position to be in

goalies - WHO WANTS IT :)

i like their setup moving forward - Gm looks to have more control moving forward than some other teams

Great flexibility indeed.

Also, a history of trading Selke winners for 2 rotten potatoes, a pet giraffe, and 2 wishing well tokens.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Great flexibility indeed.

Also, a history of trading Selke winners for 2 rotten potatoes, a pet giraffe, and 2 wishing well tokens.
don't get me wrong, they have dropped their turds, but even this non-buffalo fan is kinda hoping they get relevant again. buffalo/boston .. buffalo/montreal were great rivalries in relevant games

Reactions: Hellinator

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Mid-season aquisitions are never a good thing. Zero cap space heading into the season is what you want. That way your gm cannot make a stupid decision at the trade deadline. Out of the last 4 cup winners, there's only two names that actually had a little impact, hainsey(2017) and Schultz(2016) for Pittsburgh and even then those were small caphits with retention. Washington and st Louis had zero mid season additions.
What a load of nonsense. Mid season acquisitions are not just rentals, you do know that?

Reactions: Riptide

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Why hamstring future years? Just eat it this year and go into next season unrestrained.
It is only 1 year. And it is 1 year in which we are swimming in capspace. Sobotka's 1.5 mil or whatever it was for next season does nothing to our cap situation next year.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Buffalo now has a career back up and a newbie as a goaltending duo. I for one just don't get it. Going to be a long season for Buffalo.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Mid-season aquisitions are never a good thing. Zero cap space heading into the season is what you want. That way your gm cannot make a stupid decision at the trade deadline. Out of the last 4 cup winners, there's only two names that actually had a little impact, hainsey(2017) and Schultz(2016) for Pittsburgh and even then those were small caphits with retention. Washington and st Louis had zero mid season additions.

They were a pretty big thing for Pittsburgh. You forgot Hagelin and Daley in 2016, and Hainsey and Daley's impact in 2017. Hagelin was huge for the HBK line, as was Daley to transform the blueline into one that was heavy on the puck movement. Daley cost PIT (if you add in Scuderi's retention of 1.1m for 2 seasons) 4.4m. Hagelin cost 4m.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
No I don't. That's why things like this should've been thought about ages ago. When's the last time you had a good starter?

I go to the toilet before I **** my pants, not after.
Huh? You talk about it like every team has a good goalie except Buffalo. Ullmark was to be the starter and still has the chance. We have our future starter in 6K and should be with the team full-time next year. Hutton always had good numbers. He had his lowest save percentage last year since entering the league.

It was the defense that was the problem last year more than it was the goaltending and that has been solved.

Also Lehner was suppose to be that guy but couldn't put it together and had mental health issues and that seemed to change when he went to the Islanders and won multiple awards.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Huh? You talk about it like every team has a good goalie except Buffalo. Ullmark was to be the starter and still has the chance. We have our future starter in 6K and should be with the team full-time next year. Hutton always had good numbers. He had his lowest save percentage last year since entering the league.

It was the defense that was the problem last year more than it was the goaltending and that has been solved.

Also Lehner was suppose to be that guy but couldn't put it together and had mental health issues and that seemed to change when he went to the Islanders and won multiple awards.

I'm just a bit surprised when after those dumpster fire seasons you finally have a pretty good roster, but then you throw it all away by employing two shitty goaltenders.

Hutton is a career backup. I wouldn't trust him to take you to the promised land.

I could be wrong and a Hutton/Ullmark tandem is good, but I doubt it. We'll see.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
No I don't. That's why things like this should've been thought about ages ago. When's the last time you had a good starter?

I go to the toilet before I **** my pants, not after.

Goalies are a product of the team in front of them, which is why I dont understand the massive deals teams give goalies that have 0 cups. If you limit high danger chances any goalie who made it far enough to be in the NHL will be good enough to win with.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Goalies are a product of the team in front of them, which is why I dont understand the massive deals teams give goalies that have 0 cups. If you limit high danger chances any goalie who made it far enough to be in the NHL will be good enough to win with.

Yes, but the problem is that Buffalo hasn't limited high danger chances in the past. They're not going to change over night. They've been one of the worst teams in the league for almost a decade.

They're not a top team who can get away with below average goaltending.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I'm just a bit surprised when after those dumpster fire seasons you finally have a pretty good roster, but then you throw it all away by employing two ****ty goaltenders.

Hutton is a career backup. I wouldn't trust him to take you to the promised land.

I could be wrong and a Hutton/Ullmark tandem is good, but I doubt it. We'll see.
[mod]

Buffalo isn't trying to immediately get to the promised land.

Not sure you understand the process in building a team.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Yes, but the problem is that Buffalo hasn't limited high danger chances in the past. They're not going to change over night. They've been one of the worst teams in the league for almost a decade.

Where is that goaltender tree again? We will just go pick some.

Goaltender should be last not first in solving the problem.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
When you run out of arguments, start insulting people instead. :laugh:
Well when you post Hutton isn't going to take us to the promised land when we are a last place team

You run out of reality that the person posting doesn't seem to understand team building and where the team is at and is just talking out of their ass.

What even is the promised land? LOL

You find it insulting for someone to suggest to you to watch more hockey? Especially when you are talking about a last place team going to the "promised land" Hmmmm....

Last edited:

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Well when you post Hutton isn't going to take us to the promised land when we are a last place team

You run out of reality that the person posting doesn't seem to understand team building and where the team is at and is just talking out of their ass.

What even is the promised land? LOL.

You find it insulting for someone to suggest to you to watch more hockey? Especially when you are talking about a last place team going to the "promised land" Hmmmm....

You keep stacking good players onto your team, but you still keep treading water as one of the worst teams in the league.

Something isn't working. That much is clear. I'm just suggesting that when you haven't had a good starter since Miller, maybe that's one thing holding you back.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
We stacked Sobotka, Scandella, Okposo, Sheary, Pominville, Sobotka, Hunwick, Elie, Wilson, Nelson, Bogosian, Thompson, Beaulieu

Now that is a stacked roster! How did we lose? Oh thats right it was Hutton and Ullmark's fault.

Well, on paper you shouldn't be so bad.

I thought you got your franchise center and now you have a Norris defender, but I guess I was wrong.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of Sabres games, because who in their right mind would.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Well, on paper you shouldn't be so bad.

I thought you got your franchise center and now you have a Norris defender, but I guess I was wrong.

Admittedly I don't watch a lot of Sabres games, because who in their right mind would.
You are right! We were stacked! Hutton and Ullmark screwed us.

So an 18 year old defender and our Franchise center is stacked?

"And you now have" means this year for stacking not last year for stacking.

1 center should take us to this magical promised land you speak of? How is that working out for Edmonton?

Seems to go back to that one comment I made about watching....

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
What's Dubnyk got to do with anything?

Did Dubnyk win something? I seem to have missed it.

ripping on a potential late bloomer when you had your own and I'm sure weren't thrilled about it at first.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
ripping on a potential late bloomer when you had your own and I'm sure weren't thrilled about it at first.

I'm not thrilled with Dubnyk. I used to watch Minnesota, don't anymore. Tired of the mediocrity.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa

Thats where the changes to the D group come in. In Montour, Miller, Dahlin 2nd season, Risto moving down a pair, all of these things need to be done before trying to find some magic goalie. Look at what NYI did with Lehner last year. He was the same goalie he was here but in a much friendlier system. If CHI plays like they did last year his numbers will be terrible.

Reactions: Sabreality

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
Thats where the changes to the D group come in. In Montour, Miller, Dahlin 2nd season, Risto moving down a pair, all of these things need to be done before trying to find some magic goalie. Look at what NYI did with Lehner last year. He was the same goalie he was here but in a much friendlier system. If CHI plays like they did last year his numbers will be terrible.

When every single one of your top players is a minus on the season, then there’s something seriously wrong. It’s not on the goalie, but in that situation it doesn’t help that your two goalies are below average starters.

You know your team better than I do, so if you’re telling me that you’re fine with the goalies you currently have, then I’m just going to have to shut up as a neutral fan. :)

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
When every single one of your top players is a minus on the season, then there’s something seriously wrong. It’s not on the goalie, but in that situation it doesn’t help that your two goalies are below average starters.

You know your team better than I do, so if you’re telling me that you’re fine with the goalies you currently have, then I’m just going to have to shut up as a neutral fan. :)
FWIW a lot of people have suggested that a lot of the issues with our goalies came from our goalie coach, who is no longer with the team. Given those circumstances I'd say most people are fine with this tandem for next season.

teddygmr

Jul 7, 2006
Seems to me that Hutton was quite good for the first half of the year but when it became evident the Sabres were NOT going to make the Playoffs, they went into Tank mode. That obviously impacted the Goalies' stats. By significantly upgrading the Defence and maturity from key Forwards, the Sabres should contend for the Playoffs all season long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->