Confirmed Trade: [BUF/PHI] Taylor Leier for Justin Bailey

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
wow Bailey is still only 23?? Does he still have locker room issues? I remember that being a problem in junior here in Kitch

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
In my opinion Bailey never really got a chance to adjust and establish himself as a bottom liner in the NHL.
He was the only one to show up during the AHL playoffs last year.

I’m happy for him since he obviously wasn’t getting another chance in Buffalo. Our GM and coach likes to play favourites a lot.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011
If you watch AHL games Bailey pops out at you - he is huge and can fly, 2 or 3 times a game he'll take the puck end to end blowing by everybody but will rarely finish. The Sabres wanted to change him into a bottom 6 player who would use his speed and SIZE. When you're his size coaches and GMs expect physicality, a lot of it and while Bailey isn't a total snowflake he doesn't use his size enough.

I am sure Philly will call him up before the end of the season, probably sooner than later.

Flyers already have a big snowflake, his name is JVR

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Bailey was a project from the beginning, his athletic potential was great and scouts hoped he could become a good hockey player through them.

Could still find a niche in the NHL at some point, Joel Armia became a sound 2-way winger in the NHL, even though he was drafted as a big offensive-minded forward with great hands.

Leier though, always wondered who he was in the '14 WJC, and what he was doing there.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
In my opinion Bailey never really got a chance to adjust and establish himself as a bottom liner in the NHL.

That's because he didn't really establish himself in the AHL? He had opportunities to impress in every game suited up with the Amerks or with Sabres, in the regular and pre-season, and he did not.

I am not sure why people think every prospect deserves a long look in the NHL.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Some background on bailey...

His uninvolved biological father was Carlton Bailey who played LB for bills and giants in 90s

I disagree with many who say slow cook players. Both him and baptiste should have gotten time in 17/18 with sabres in their final ELC years. In a short call up they’d pkay 4th line.

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Quite the minor exchange, but I think it's a win-win for the players. Leier fell off the big club's radar, he could use a fresh start. I'm not sure if Bailey is in a similar position but it seems like an even exchange in terms of AHL production.

Oryx05

Jan 13, 2018
Loved Bailey as a Junior here in Kitchener. He always had the potential to be an NHL'er, but like many have stated, just hasn't been able to put all the pieces together. I'm sure he'll get his shot at some point, hope he knows it might be his last. He plays with an edge as well, which is never a bad thing for a guy not lighting the lamp.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This is a GM and scouting trade IMO. Both teams probably had one player higher in their scouting analysis. I will say this with Botterill, he has an eye for AHL talent going back to his time with the Pens. They had some key AHL additions that led to a cup. Will be interesting to see if Botterill still has the touch on this one.

sfoote

Jan 6, 2013
Not saying he will be. Just that he has the potential to be. Only 23.

I like his size (6'4) and that he has some speed and skill to go with it.
You're a more knowledgeable Sabres fan than most of the Sabres fan here. Don't tell me he can't be a 4th liner in the NHL. Speed, size, maybe his hockey i.q. isn't that high but there are a lot of players with the same hockey I q as him who aren't as fast and as big, going to need some bigger, faster bodies if they make the playoffs.

GirouxGiroux

Visioneer
Mar 8, 2010
This is a GM and scouting trade IMO. Both teams probably had one player higher in their scouting analysis. I will say this with Botterill, he has an eye for AHL talent going back to his time with the Pens. They had some key AHL additions that led to a cup. Will be interesting to see if Botterill still has the touch on this one.
I don't think any Flyers fan would be surprised to see Leier make it in the NHL as a decent-but-unremarkable bottom-sixer. He's just buried on our depth chart right now and highly-touted prospects are set to bury him even further over the next couple seasons. It's almost impossible to imagine a scenario where he has a role here.

Same goes for Bailey, but he may have a unique opportunity open up when Simmonds is traded.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Hextall just started playing Metroid for the NES. He heard that the Justin Bailey code lets you play with Samus out of her suit.

Reactions: Ralonzo

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That wouldnt have gotten him on the flyers, since...well, Hextall isnt at liberty to trade Flyers assets anymore. ;)

Crap. I wanted to just say Flyers GM. I'll be honest, I don't pay attention to who the GMs are around the league.

I only really know Holland, Dubas, Chiarelli, Bergevin, and Nill.

Holland cause Wings, Chiarelli because that boy dumb, Nill because former Wing, Dubas cause Leafs, and Bergevin because Habs and also dumb.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Crap. I wanted to just say Flyers GM. I'll be honest, I don't pay attention to who the GMs are around the league.

I only really know Holland, Dubas, Chiarelli, Bergevin, and Nill.

Holland cause Wings, Chiarelli because that boy dumb, Nill because former Wing, Dubas cause Leafs, and Bergevin because Habs and also dumb.

I hear ya, just taking a minute to bust stones, thats all :)

Reactions: Larry44

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Bailey was a good gamble in the 2nd round but his American league numbers aren't even that impressive, solid but not premier.

Maybe he can be one of those guys that reinvents himself like a Zack Kassian, Devante Smith Pellley but wouldn't count on it.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
Leier play for Team Canada at the WJC before? Feel like I recognize the name from there.

He was part of the Winterhawks a few years ago when guys like Petan, De Leo, Jones, Leipsic etc. were all there. He might have been on the WJC team for Canada too, can't remember though.

Reactions: shello

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
He was part of the Winterhawks a few years ago when guys like Petan, De Leo, Jones, Leipsic etc. were all there. He might have been on the WJC team for Canada too, can't remember though.
Yes, he played at WJC in a checking role. I really like the kid, but he is just a bit too small to do the things a checking fwd needs to do in the NHL. He has good hands but he's not good enough to play on a scoring line. Hopefully Housley will find a use for him. As far as Bailey is concerned, I hope he can show the promise he did in Jr. Not a big gamble by either team, just a swap of reclamation projects who could both be in Europe next year, or the NHL, it's up to them.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
You're a more knowledgeable Sabres fan than most of the Sabres fan here. Don't tell me he can't be a 4th liner in the NHL. Speed, size, maybe his hockey i.q. isn't that high but there are a lot of players with the same hockey I q as him who aren't as fast and as big, going to need some bigger, faster bodies if they make the playoffs.

I see no reason he cant be a 4th liner in NHL..

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Leier is a nothing at the NHL level. He can skate fast, but really can't do anything else (Eric Wellwood v2.0). He's fine as a 13th forward, but if he's a regular, you will be disappointed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad