Confirmed Trade: [BUF/PHI] Taylor Leier for Justin Bailey

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Alright we have had our bigger trade today I’ll let a couple of these go before I get bored again

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Not at the NHL level. He's got speed and at times he flashes some skill, but it's far too infrequent to ever translate to becoming an NHL regular.

Not saying he will be. Just that he has the potential to be. Only 23.

I like his size (6'4) and that he has some speed and skill to go with it.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Not saying he will be. Just that he has the potential to be. Only 23.

I like his size (6'4) and that he has some speed and skill to go with it.
We'll see. I'd think if there were any real potential for that he would have earned a callup to the Sabres who are desperate for someone outside of the 1st line to produce anything. He's looked the part at times, but just never seems to produce. Wish the kid nothing but the best, it'd be nice to see him carve a roll out with the Flyers.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Bailey needed it. He hit a wall here and was beginning to look like a career AHL player. As others said, his hockey IQ isn't very good but he's got some good qualities.

All I know about Leier is he's fast. And we need speed. So yeah

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I hope a fresh start does Bailey some good. He’s a local Buffalo kid, so I’ll always root for him to do well. Hopefully being moved to Philly does him some good.

As others mentioned, it’s like he hit a wall in Buffalo. He just never seemed to develop any further, and was passed by other Sabres prospects (both draft picks and college UFA’s).

The writing was on the wall that his time here was up since he was waived. He admitted that being waived really got in his head. Hopefully getting a fresh opportunity and seeing that a team wanted to trade for him will help him out.

IMO, this was the right thing to do for Bailey to at least give him an outside chance at having an NHL career still.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Meh. I can't believe Bailey couldn't crack the Sabres line up for the last 2 years. Remember when Bailey & Baptiste where our future?

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Seems like both guys went from top AHL prospects to AHL lifers. Both guys get fresh starts in new organizations.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
If you watch AHL games Bailey pops out at you - he is huge and can fly, 2 or 3 times a game he'll take the puck end to end blowing by everybody but will rarely finish. The Sabres wanted to change him into a bottom 6 player who would use his speed and SIZE. When you're his size coaches and GMs expect physicality, a lot of it and while Bailey isn't a total snowflake he doesn't use his size enough.

I am sure Philly will call him up before the end of the season, probably sooner than later.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I liked Bailey in his draft year. But he never seemed to be able to translate his skills to the NHL. These are the type of deals that could surprise in years. I recall a Hyman for Mckegg deal years ago that looked just to be a AHL deal. You just never know. Could be a nothing deal, could be something for one or both teams.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad