Proposal: BUF-NYI

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Here is an alternative offer:
Sabres 2019 2nd*
Lehner extended 1 year@50% retained (cap hit about 2.3)

*becomes our first if we make the playoffs
Why are you creatively trying to include Lehner in the deal when Buffalo can just walk away from him this off-season?

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Although I have no problem moving Brock, I'm also very curious to see how he'd respond to another coach. He's yet to be coached by anyone qualified at this level.

LamorielloAndSon

May 28, 2018
Although I have no problem moving Brock, I'm also very curious to see how he'd respond to another coach. He's yet to be coached by anyone qualified at this level.
He always did well at the world championships so I'd like expect another team to get that Brock Nelson if someone traded for him

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
This feels like a move Tim Murray would make, so it's a big no from me. Nelson has some good tools and will score some goals but when he isn't scoring he just isn't an impact player at all.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Every time he's been used in a top six role with someone that could complete a pass he's produced. In 32 WC games he has 28 points and 16 goals (.88ppg and .5 gpg). He's never really gotten that chance on the Island for long stretches. Islander fans hate him because he's been misused.

Brock Nelson at eliteprospects.com

We don’t hate him because he’s misused... we hate him because he’s lazy and one of the biggest guys on the team and is so clearly avoiding physical contact every shift. Players don’t come softer than Nelson

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
We don’t hate him because he’s misused... we hate him because he’s lazy and one of the biggest guys on the team and is so clearly avoiding physical contact every shift. Players don’t come softer than Nelson

You hate him because he isn't physical despite being big. Whoopdy doo

For a guy that hasn't averaged more than 14-15min a game playing 3rd line C where he isn't as effective and sparsely used on the 2nd pp, he's managed to average over 20 goals each of the last 4 seasons. Just because someone is big doesn't mean they have to play physical. Meanness/toughness is a mental atribute.... asking Brock to fit that mold would be like asking Matt Martin to be an effective 2nd line RW. Might as well ask a fish to climb a tree.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This thread makes me hope Brock gets traded. If there were any player in the NHL primed to break out on a different team if given the chance it's him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This thread makes me hope Brock gets traded. If there were any player in the NHL primed to break out on a different team if given the chance it's him.
I also hope he gets traded .

After the difficulty the isles and Nelson had in the last contract talks,he had to take a show me contract and has shown very little reason for the nyi to offer him a 4-5 yr extension.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
You hate him because he isn't physical despite being big. Whoopdy doo

For a guy that hasn't averaged more than 14-15min a game playing 3rd line C where he isn't as effective and sparsely used on the 2nd pp, he's managed to average over 20 goals each of the last 4 seasons. Just because someone is big doesn't mean they have to play physical. Meanness/toughness is a mental atribute.... asking Brock to fit that mold would be like asking Matt Martin to be an effective 2nd line RW. Might as well ask a fish to climb a tree.

This is just off base. It’s not just that he’s not physical, he’s useless on 99% of the ice. He’s not fast, he can’t skate with the puck, he can’t play a cycle game, he doesn’t backcheck, BUT he can shoot. It’s extremelt noticeable that he’s not giving his best effort in most games too. Goals are nice but we have plenty of guys who can score while not being a liability everywhere else

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This is just off base. It’s not just that he’s not physical, he’s useless on 99% of the ice. He’s not fast, he can’t skate with the puck, he can’t play a cycle game, he doesn’t backcheck, BUT he can shoot. It’s extremelt noticeable that he’s not giving his best effort in most games too. Goals are nice but we have plenty of guys who can score while not being a liability everywhere else

These are your assumptions, how do you explain away his production at the WC? When can you ever remember Nelson getting extended time on the LW of Tavares or Barzal? He's never been put in position to succeed.

I'm not advocating holding on to him because he is not going to displace Lee or Beauvillier at this point making him the most likely piece to move. But to say he's useless is completely misguided.

Reactions: PWJunior

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
These are your assumptions, how do you explain away his production at the WC? When can you ever remember Nelson getting extended time on the LW of Tavares or Barzal? He's never been put in position to succeed.

I'm not advocating holding on to him because he is not going to displace Lee or Beauvillier at this point making him the most likely piece to move. But to say he's useless is completely misguided.

I agree he’s never really been put in a position to succeed but that doesn’t really change what I’m saying. None of my comments are assumptions as I’ve watched the guy play over 300 games. Not that my opinion is the end all be all but that’s just what I see

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I agree he’s never really been put in a position to succeed but that doesn’t really change what I’m saying. None of my comments are assumptions as I’ve watched the guy play over 300 games. Not that my opinion is the end all be all but that’s just what I see

I get that, but if what you're saying is reality, how do you explain away his production at the WC when he is used in the top six and on the PP? It's no longer a small sample and in 4 tournaments now he's consistently been a .88ppg .5gpg player. If he can't skate with the puck and he's slow and weak as you say... how could this be possible on the larger ice surface? Watch replays, he was dominant in all 4 tourneys.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Not only has Brock gotten the short end of the stick with ice time and line mates, but he also get stuck with the bulk of the Islanders defensive zone starts.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
I get that, but if what you're saying is reality, how do you explain away his production at the WC when he is used in the top six and on the PP? It's no longer a small sample and in 4 tournaments now he's consistently been a .88ppg .5gpg player. If he can't skate with the puck and he's slow and weak as you say... how could this be possible on the larger ice surface? Watch replays, he was dominant in all 4 tourneys.

It’s a much smaller sample size then his nhl career. I’m not disagreeing that he has more offensive potential but I just don’t think line mates effect defensive ability and physical play.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Islander fans hearing that this trade went down and trying to get Brock from his house to the airport....

87a65b29b2806ea888fed9a56a6e7a89.gif

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
that's pretty good Matt :D

i have been calling for Nelson's head lately, but...

i would be ok if he is given another chance with the new regime. he has it in him, IMO, just needs to be brought out, somehow. try something different, put him on 3RW. he can come into the center of the ice from that side, and blast away. maybe try him with Ladd and Cizikas?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad