Proposal: BUF-NYI

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
yeah...not interested in Nelson...i think the 2nd can be utilized in better ways

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I'd take it.

What kills me is the reports this season that Snow had a very good offer on the table for Nelson but chose to reject it and keep Brock instead. Would love to know who the team was and what they were offering because as this thread is showing, many Islander fans would be happy to trade Nelson straight up for 32.

Staple said there was a team that made a strong push for Nelson at the deadline and Garth declined. It’s killing me as well lol.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Brock gets a lot of hate from Islander fans, but to be fair he isn't exactly put in the best position to do one of the few things he does good which is score goals. When he was paired with Ho-Sang he was on pace for 30-ish goals, then they sent him down and paired Brock with Ladd on the 3rd line. Give him 2nd line minutes and some PP time with someone that can dish him the puck and he will score 25 goals consistently. Look at what he did paired with Larkin,

Late 1st early 2nd is probably right in the wheelhouse of what he's worth.

Reactions: IODCPiper

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'd take Nelson, for sure, but I don't think I'd give up the 32nd pick for him. We don't have a lot of picks in this year's draft to begin with, we have a lot of holes to fill, and that pick is probably among the better assets we have that we could realistically trade to fill one of them.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
I'd prefer to hang on to 32, but I do like Nelson.. wish I kept him on my fantasy team.

I want to see who drops out of the 1st - we don't get a 3rd - and would like to add another depth D man like Nils Lundqvist if we're trading assets for a LW.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Buffalo has been burned by too many former Isle wingers. Also his WAR is 0.190 with a GAR between Zemgus and Pouliot. I'd rather roll the dice on a pick, or use it with another pick/player for an upgrade of an existing player.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
That bad? I'm not gonna pretend I'm an expert on Nelson, I've only seen him play a handful of times, but we could really use someone who will stay healthy all season and actually produce something offensively.

Basically a production level of what Pominville was supposed to do and used to do in his career, but is now way too old, slow, and overpaid to accomplish.
It's a trade that the Isles do in a NY minute. Nelson is an offensive player who doesn't play a physical game or perform on defense

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
That bad? I'm not gonna pretend I'm an expert on Nelson, I've only seen him play a handful of times, but we could really use someone who will stay healthy all season and actually produce something offensively.

Basically a production level of what Pominville was supposed to do and used to do in his career, but is now way too old, slow, and overpaid to accomplish.
It's a trade that the Isles do in a NY minute. Nelson is an offensive player who doesn't play a physical game or perform on defense

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What people don't realize is that Nelson is an RFA and going to get a new contract from someone around 4M/year.

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
The value is fair but I think the Isles would be selling low if they were to trade Nelson this summer. With Barzal setting him up, Nelson could approach Lee’s numbers (30-35 goals).

You’ll get more for Lee if you trade him. If Lee goes, Nelson becomes out best LW and I don’t think we could afford to give up both.

As has been said, he needs to line up with a playmaker ( not the scrubs of last years 3rd line)and play LW not C. He’s not a great passer and his defensive game/positioning needs work so LW is where he needs to stay. He does have a lethal wrister which is potent when he is set up as the trailer coming late.

Keep Nelson. Let him play with Barzal for a year. Reap the rewards.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Sabres fan passing on this...not because it's a knock on Nelson but because I'd rather have the young cost controlled pick.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
The value is fair but I think the Isles would be selling low if they were to trade Nelson this summer. With Barzal setting him up, Nelson could approach Lee’s numbers (30-35 goals).

You’ll get more for Lee if you trade him. If Lee goes, Nelson becomes out best LW and I don’t think we could afford to give up both.

As has been said, he needs to line up with a playmaker ( not the scrubs of last years 3rd line)and play LW not C. He’s not a great passer and his defensive game/positioning needs work so LW is where he needs to stay. He does have a lethal wrister which is potent when he is set up as the trailer coming late.

Keep Nelson. Let him play with Barzal for a year. Reap the rewards.

Except Nelson should be nowhere on a line with Barzal. If Nelson is playing center than obviously it's third line, or god forbid 2nd without Tavares. If he's playing wing it would most certainly be better to have Beau or Ladd on that left side than Nelson as they have proven chemistry.

Schwartzee

Mar 29, 2007
Interesting but I’d have to get something back if it’s he 32nd pick.

Perhaps Brock and a 3rd for 32nd pick.

I have to be honest as an islanders fan, and I had to think about this for a bit. I think this would work. With the 3rd, it MIGHT (I SAID MIGHT) be a slight overpayment by us, but with it being a 3rd + Nelson for the 32OV pick, it’s something I would still pull the trigger on.

(I believe when you really have to think about it, value is close)

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
To BUF:
Brock Nelson

To NYI:
BUF 2018 2nd (32nd OV)

Buffalo needs a forward/winger to play 2nd line/3rd line time, basically someone to round out the top-6 or play 3rd line possibly, but have a significant role and actually produce some points offensively.

The drop-off at forward after Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Okposo, and Mittelstadt is pretty harsh...next best forward might be Pominville? Rodrigues? Wilson? Girgensons/Larsson? These are all guys to me who should not have more than a bottom role....some who should not be in the NHL at all, imo.

I like Nelson... I really like the fact that he's played 80+ games basically every season of his career. I think he'd fit nicely in the middle of our lineup, and wouldn't cost a fortune.

Our 2nd is the first pick of the round, 32nd OV, so it's a high value pick. I think pretty fair for a player like Nelson. (not that it means anything, but Nelson himself was drafted 30th overall)

Do Islanders fans think they are trying to re-sign Nelson? What are some thoughts on Nelson from someone who watches every Islanders game?

Everything I'm sure is on hold until Tavares' decision is official, also with a new front office who knows, but just curious what any rumblings may be on him so far.
Sold

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I have to be honest as an islanders fan, and I had to think about this for a bit. I think this would work. With the 3rd, it MIGHT (I SAID MIGHT) be a slight overpayment by us, but with it being a 3rd + Nelson for the 32OV pick, it’s something I would still pull the trigger on.

(I believe when you really have to think about it, value is close)
I would not do Nelson + 3rd.
He leaves me thinking he could bring so much more to the table then 20 goals a season, but he is consistent with those 20 goals and I am not overpaying to move him.

I would like to see the isles circle back to the team Friedman says pushed hard for him and see if there is still a deal to be made here.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Every time he's been used in a top six role with someone that could complete a pass he's produced. In 32 WC games he has 28 points and 16 goals (.88ppg and .5 gpg). He's never really gotten that chance on the Island for long stretches. Islander fans hate him because he's been misused.

Brock Nelson at eliteprospects.com

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
As an Islanders fan I would do the deal. I think it is fair value. Nelson does get a bad rap among us since he always leaves you wanting more. He's got a great shot. He needs to be moved to wing permanently. There were games this year when you saw a physical side of him, he was actively looking for a fight, and throwing hits which got us excited. Maybe he was finally adding that dimension to his game? Nah, back to the happy go lucky, non-physical coaster.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
As an Islanders fan I would do the deal. I think it is fair value. Nelson does get a bad rap among us since he always leaves you wanting more. He's got a great shot. He needs to be moved to wing permanently. There were games this year when you saw a physical side of him, he was actively looking for a fight, and throwing hits which got us excited. Maybe he was finally adding that dimension to his game? Nah, back to the happy go lucky, non-physical coaster.
I thought the times we saw pissed off,engaged Nelson were the times he or a teammate were on the receiving end of a cheap shot.
I would like to see more of that Nelson and less of laid back Nelson.

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
I thought the times we saw pissed off,engaged Nelson were the times he or a teammate were on the receiving end of a cheap shot.
I would like to see more of that Nelson and less of laid back Nelson.

He threw his body around a lot more than we've seen in the past. Nelson is only 26 so maybe he'll get a little more ornery as he gets older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad