Proposal: BUF-NYI

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
To BUF:
Brock Nelson

To NYI:
BUF 2018 2nd (32nd OV)

Buffalo needs a forward/winger to play 2nd line/3rd line time, basically someone to round out the top-6 or play 3rd line possibly, but have a significant role and actually produce some points offensively.

The drop-off at forward after Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Okposo, and Mittelstadt is pretty harsh...next best forward might be Pominville? Rodrigues? Wilson? Girgensons/Larsson? These are all guys to me who should not have more than a bottom role....some who should not be in the NHL at all, imo.

I like Nelson... I really like the fact that he's played 80+ games basically every season of his career. I think he'd fit nicely in the middle of our lineup, and wouldn't cost a fortune.

Our 2nd is the first pick of the round, 32nd OV, so it's a high value pick. I think pretty fair for a player like Nelson. (not that it means anything, but Nelson himself was drafted 30th overall)

Do Islanders fans think they are trying to re-sign Nelson? What are some thoughts on Nelson from someone who watches every Islanders game?

Everything I'm sure is on hold until Tavares' decision is official, also with a new front office who knows, but just curious what any rumblings may be on him so far.

Reactions: Zenon Konopka Jr

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
To BUF:
Brock Nelson

To NYI:
BUF 2018 2nd (32nd OV)

Buffalo needs a forward/winger to play 2nd line/3rd line time, basically someone to round out the top-6 or play 3rd line possibly, but have a significant role and actually produce some points offensively.

The drop-off at forward after Eichel, ROR, Reinhart, Okposo, and Mittelstadt is pretty harsh...next best forward might be Pominville? Rodrigues? Wilson? Girgensons/Larsson? These are all guys to me who should not have more than a bottom role....some who should not be in the NHL at all, imo.

I like Nelson... I really like the fact that he's played 80+ games basically every season of his career. I think he'd fit nicely in the middle of our lineup, and wouldn't cost a fortune.

Our 2nd is the first pick of the round, 32nd OV, so it's a high value pick. I think pretty fair for a player like Nelson. (not that it means anything, but Nelson himself was drafted 30th overall)

Do Islanders fans think they are trying to re-sign Nelson? What are some thoughts on Nelson from someone who watches every Islanders game?

Everything I'm sure is on hold until Tavares' decision is official, also with a new front office who knows, but just curious what any rumblings may be on him so far.
Done. Fire up the fax.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I suspect you'll get a lot of positive responses from Isles fans.

Late 1st-early 2nd is probably right where his value is.

Only reason I do it is Nelson is getting wasted on the 3rd line and we can use the freed up cash on a goalie, defense and a legit 3rd line center(I believe Nelson is being misused as center). The 32nd pick would also help us in acquiring one of those assets as well. I do think if somebody looks at Nelson as a top 6 LW then it's good value

Reactions: SI90 and PWJunior

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
I take the offer and start signing paperwork before Buffalo realizes what they've done

That bad? I'm not gonna pretend I'm an expert on Nelson, I've only seen him play a handful of times, but we could really use someone who will stay healthy all season and actually produce something offensively.

Basically a production level of what Pominville was supposed to do and used to do in his career, but is now way too old, slow, and overpaid to accomplish.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I'd take it.

What kills me is the reports this season that Snow had a very good offer on the table for Nelson but chose to reject it and keep Brock instead. Would love to know who the team was and what they were offering because as this thread is showing, many Islander fans would be happy to trade Nelson straight up for 32.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I'm not opposed to this deal. I do have one question for Islander fans, is Brock a fast skater?

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
That bad? I'm not gonna pretend I'm an expert on Nelson, I've only seen him play a handful of times, but we could really use someone who will stay healthy all season and actually produce something offensively.

Basically a production level of what Pominville was supposed to do and used to do in his career, but is now way too old, slow, and overpaid to accomplish.

He's pretty much money in the bank for 20 goals. Fell 1 short this year, had 3 consecutive seasons before this past year. Miscast as a center for the Isles, he has a sick shot and not much more. Pair him with someone to do the heavy lifting and get him the puck, he can sling it.

I Like Eich

Oct 15, 2014
He's pretty much money in the bank for 20 goals. Fell 1 short this year, had 3 consecutive seasons before this past year. Miscast as a center for the Isles, he has a sick shot and not much more. Pair him with someone to do the heavy lifting and get him the puck, he can sling it.

This is pretty much what I thought, and had heard he's better as a winger. Despite all the ROR trade talk, I don't see us moving him yet, so he'd probably spend most of his time on Eichel or ROR's wing. Seems like a good place to be to me for him

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The Islanders fans makes me hesitate. I think the value seems fare but that pick could be someone like Merkeley/Gustafsson.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is pretty much what I thought, and had heard he's better as a winger. Despite all the ROR trade talk, I don't see us moving him yet, so he'd probably spend most of his time on Eichel or ROR's wing. Seems like a good place to be to me for him

He's long been the whipping boy for Isles fans. People hate him because he doesn't have any edge to his game so they call him soft and girl's names. Capuano/Weight always wanted him to be that big #2/#3 center type and he can do the job, but it's not where he's best. In International tourneys, he flourished on LW for Team USA.

The rest of his game doesn't really stand out, but it's not crap. His shot is legit though, but he can't get it off quickly. If he has the puck on his off wing with time cutting to the middle... money. Watch his goal highlights, you'll see that play a lot.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Does not use his size, does not play a 200 ft game and is frustratingly laid back.
No take backs. He's yours :cool:

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Sabres shouldn't be giving up #32 like this. They're more than 1 piece away, they'd be better off waiting for them to come.

Reactions: normaliswear

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm not opposed to this deal. I do have one question for Islander fans, is Brock a fast skater?
No, but not slow. Just pretty average, has a decent stride.
Dang lol.. would a 3rd rd pick have been more appropriate value wise? That seems too low to me
I think he's worth more than a second but given it's the 32nd overall I'd take it but really want more tbh.

This is a case of the whipping boy getting undervalued by Isles fans. Some people can't take him for what he is and that's annoying. Calling for Nelson to have Cizikas heart is dumb and no one calls for Cizikas to have Nelsons shot which is elite, there's only so many in the league that have his snap shot.

His production is consistent and valuable in this league whether Isles fans want to admit it or not.

Also, didn't help having Ladd (another shooter) and Fritz (grinder) and no playmaker for the whole year minus Ho-Sangs 20 games.

Fact is that we need to revamp the third line and have kids coming through on ELC's and this is the prime time to move him with him about to get a raise.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Here is an alternative offer:
Sabres 2019 2nd*
Lehner extended 1 year@50% retained (cap hit about 2.3)

*becomes our first if we make the playoffs

Reactions: Strait2thecup

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He catches a lot of shit from Islander fans - and a lot of it is deserved - but he is better than most give him credit for. He hasn't quite lived up to his billing and also carries himself in a way that gives off the impression that he doesn't give a shit. I don't think that's necessarily true but he definitely doesn't ooze intensity.

He could probably gain from a change of scenery. 32 OV is a in the ball park of appropriate. And that would work for the Islanders to use that pick in a package to land a starting goalie. And if the Sabres use him the right way, they could be very happy as well. Top 6 LW and #1 PP will probably see 25 goals or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad