Confirmed Trade: [BUF/NAS] Jimmy Vesey's Draft Rights for 2016 3rd (#76) Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I still view Vessey's top choice as Boston. Makes the most sense to me. Would welcome him in Toronto, but Boston seems to np be where his heart is and has goo opportunity there.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
When my nephews (now in their mid-20s) were kids they used to say to me "Uncle Dr. Quincy, do you know how much this pokemon card is worth?" And I'd say, "Whatever someone is willing to pay for it." They'd look at me quizzically and say, "No the price guide book says its worth $10."

Point?

While they could say the price guide said that the charzard card was worth $10, if they can't find someone to actually buy it for $10, then it isn't really worth $10.

Debrusk+Zaboril+1st gets you a top Dman.... if a team is looking to deal one. I don't know that any team is in fact looking to do that.

You're a terrible businessman?

That being said I get your overall point and agree with it.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
If the Maple Leafs were your employer, would you come out and say that your own son should play for any team that isn't called Maple Leafs?

You wouldn't say anything about the situation because that's tampering.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
What a waste of a pick

I know, right? It really crippled the Buffalo's future to literally just give away one of their four 3rd round picks. I bet if the Leafs had that pick, they would've found a steal with Lou at the helm. He's never given or had to give away a 3rd round pick in the past, I'm sure of it!

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I know, right? It really crippled the Buffalo's future to literally just give away one of their four 3rd round picks. I bet if the Leafs had that pick, they would've found a steal with Lou at the helm. He's never given or had to give away a 3rd round pick in the past, I'm sure of it!

That has nothing to do with this. Wasting 3rd rounders is something you really should not do. It's not an irrelevant expense.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The likelihood of any 3rd round pick becoming an NHL player isn't all that high, so I don't think it was that much of a risk to trade for Vesey's rights.

What a road that 3rd round pick traveled too. It originally went from Minnesota to Florida for Bergenheim. Then it went to New Jersey for Jagr. Then it went to Anaheim in the Palmieri trade. Then it went to Buffalo for McGinn. Then finally to Nashville for Vesey's rights.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The likelihood of any 3rd round pick becoming an NHL player isn't all that high, so I don't think it was that much of a risk to trade for Vesey's rights.

What a road that 3rd round pick traveled too. It originally went from Minnesota to Florida for Bergenheim. Then it went to New Jersey for Jagr. Then it went to Anaheim in the Palmieri trade. Then it went to Buffalo for McGinn. Then finally to Nashville for Vesey's rights.

The only third rounders on Boston I can think of is Marchand and Chara. Sobotka was a 4th I believe although three of their best prospects Heinen, Gabrielle, and Bjork were 4th. For some reason 4th round they are very good

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
That has nothing to do with this. Wasting 3rd rounders is something you really should not do. It's not an irrelevant expense.

Except it really is an irrelevant expense. 3rd round picks are an absolute crapshoot. Hell refering to it as a crapshoot might be generous. The majority of 3rd round picks never amount to anything. Taking a chance to get a good nhl ready prospect with one was the right move even if Vesey signs elsewhere.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

I really hope that 3rd turns into a superstar and all of the Sabres 3rd's bust. That would make me smile.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
I really hope that 3rd turns into a superstar and all of the Sabres 3rd's bust. That would make me smile.

I hope Rem Pitlick becomes a solid NHL player and Jimmy Vesey busts, that would make me smile.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada

Agree.:yo:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
That's bull and you know it. I lived in Boston for yrs and the bruins are just as scrutinized as the rest. Especially once pats are over and all that's left to talk about are the bruins and Celtics

Nope. If you really lived in Boston, you would know that the Red Sox & the Pats are by far what folks care for the most (#1 Red Sox, a close 2nd the Pats).
Bruins & Celtics is a bandwagon type thing (excepted obviously for the hardcore fans of the sport): play well & everybody is a fan, play bad and no one knows who you are. So, the pressure assessment I made, is still very much valid.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
You wouldn't say anything about the situation because that's tampering.

It's not tampering if what he said is not said on behalf of his employer. If it's his own opinion (on top of that, it's about the future of his own son. A father has still the right to speak about his son, even in this idiotic society we live in), one can say whatever he pleases.
In this case though, Vesey Sr's opinion feels like a way to appease his employer, rather than an objective opinion.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/John-Jaeckel/Whither-Vesey/128/78632

This is a pretty good example of people seeing their last chances of throwing **** on the wall and gather clicks.

If that guy actually had credible sources, his sources would know that Sabres keep Vesey's rights up until 15th day has passed. So basically there is pretty much 0% chance that he signs with Hawks on Monday.

JJ doesn't need to go "James Tanner" to get clicks - his blog is always very active.

As to the 15th/16th issue - that doesn't prove anything other than JJ was more focused on some of his peeps telling him stuff rather than which date Vesey can actually talk with other teams. In other words, JJ's sources tell him they hear it's Chicago and then JJ posts that but messes up the date Vesey becomes UFA. Really that simple.

I'm pretty sure JJ is just reporting what others have told him but I doubt anyone has any inside information other than Vesey's closest advisers and I doubt they would be spreading rumors. People just speculating based on the slimmest of evidence.

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Can't wait for this punk to just sign a contract so I don't have to hear his stupid annoying name anymore.

Vesey vesey vesey
Makes me wanna puke at this point.

Most over hyped future third liner ever.

Screwed over preds and doesn't honor his draft spot and now screws over Sabres for a third round pick. He's a ******.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
How many superstar forwards were drafted in the 3rd round in the last 10 years???
In the 3rd round? None. Only solid guys like Frederik Andersen, Brad Marchand, Adam Henrique, Vincent Trocheck, Jori Lehtera as well as guys like Anthony Duclair, Tyson Barrie, Reilly Smith, Adam Lowry, Cody Eakin. Plus Steve Mason, Yannick Weber, Alexander Killorn, Michael Stone, Radko Gudas.

In the 4th round have dropped Braden Holtby, and Johnny Gaudreau.
In the 5th round there's been superstar Jamie Benn, and John Klingberg.

After the 3rd ound have dropped T.J. Brodie, Mathieu Perreault, Carl Hagelin, Ondrej Palat, Andrew Shaw, Adam Henrique, J-G Pageau, Marcus Foligno, Jake Muzzin, Viktor Stalberg, Craig Smith, Gustav Nyquist, Casey Cizikas, Tommy Wingels, Mattias Ekholm, Jared Spurgeon, Jason Demers, Cam Atkinson, Mike Hoffman, Mark Stone, Marcus Kruger, Anders Lee, Justin Braun, Carl Gunnarsson, James Reimer, Patrick Maroon, Alec Martinez, Dwight King.

If you go longer than 10 years it's easy to find HHOF caliber players who went in round 3 or later. Zetterberg and Lundqvist in the 7th round and Datsyuk in the 6th round come immediately to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad