Proposal: Buf - Min

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
So we lost Scandella last season and now we want to lose Spurgeon/Brodin this offseason? Who the hell is going to play in our Top 4? Seeler, Soucy, Olofsson? Not to mention, I don't think Dumba can handle Top 2 competition. God no to any proposal with defense going the other way.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
top 4 of

Suter - Dahlin
Scandella-Risto

this trade makes more sense now that we have Dahlin

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So we lost Scandella last season and now we want to lose Spurgeon/Brodin this offseason? Who the hell is going to play in our Top 4? Seeler, Soucy, Olofsson? Not to mention, I don't think Dumba can handle Top 2 competition. God no to any proposal with defense going the other way.
Did you not watch any Wild hockey this season?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Did you not watch any Wild hockey this season?

I did. I think Dumba is much more effective on the 2nd pairing with Brodin where he can take advantage of weaker matchups and really use his offensive prowess. Spurgeon and Suter do a much better job of shutting the other team down, while still being able to put up offense.

If we move anyone in our Top 4, Dumba's defensive lapses are going to become more apparent. Our Top 4 works as a unit. We have Suter and Spurgeon as 2-way defensemen, then we have Brodin as a shutdown defender to pair with our offensive defenseman in Dumba. We need to change up our team, but our Top 4 needs to remain the same if we're serious about actually still contending.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'll just leave the Spurgeon+Coyle for Mittlestadt on the table. Dahlin-Risto Scandella-Spurgeon. Pretty solid top 4. Minnesota would love Mittlestadt. I think both fanbases would think long and hard about this.
I love Mittelstadt, and Spurgeon, and like Coyle. I would do that deal from MN's perspective, but I don't think BUF should. Brodin would be better for them, even though Spurgeon is Better now, because Brodin is 4 years younger, a veteran, can play both sides, and is Swedish( minor detail, but anything to help the young guy settle in and be successful). He is also the ultimate babysitter, though Spurgeon is pretty good at that, too. Anyway, as any part of that trade we'd probably have to take a huge cap dump like Bogosian to make the numbers work.

I think BUF would be smarter to offer ROR, but I would be unhappy with that trade. Very good player, but he has nothing that screams elite to me, and at his age, his best days are behind him. I actually like Spurgeon alone better than ROR... I don't see the point of getting ROR when we have Koivu and Staal, probably tI'll the time that ROR is 30. Ek will be fine, by that point.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
I love Mittelstadt, and Spurgeon, and like Coyle. I would do that deal from MN's perspective, but I don't think BUF should. Brodin would be better for them, even though Spurgeon is Better now, because Brodin is 4 years younger, a veteran, can play both sides, and is Swedish( minor detail, but anything to help the young guy settle in and be successful). He is also the ultimate babysitter, though Spurgeon is pretty good at that, too. Anyway, as any part of that trade we'd probably have to take a huge cap dump like Bogosian to make the numbers work.

I think BUF would be smarter to offer ROR, but I would be unhappy with that trade. Very good player, but he has nothing that screams elite to me, and at his age, his best days are behind him. I actually like Spurgeon alone better than ROR... I don't see the point of getting ROR when we have Koivu and Staal, probably tI'll the time that ROR is 30. Ek will be fine, by that point.

best at face-off league wide
doesn't take penalties
closest player to Kopitar/Bergeron
been a 60 point shut down centre for all of his time in buffalo.
please explain to me how his best days are behind him ?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
best at face-off league wide
doesn't take penalties
closest player to Kopitar/Bergeron
been a 60 point shut down centre for all of his time in buffalo.
please explain to me how his best days are behind him ?
. Forwards don't get better after 28, usually. I am also not a big ROR fan, even during his days in CO. I am not saying he isn't a good player, or even a #1C....just that a player such as him isn't a need when we have Koivu, Staal, Coyle, and Ek at C. Maybe Kunin, and Granlund can play C in a pinch.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

ROR isn't elite at anything? He's the next best thing to Kopitar/Bergeron as a two-way C. He started over 57% of his shifts in the defensive zone last year and still put up 60 points, even playing in front of a defense that couldn't break a puck out of a paper bag. He took over 2,000 draws and won 60% of them. He took a single 2 minute minor in 81 games. The attention to detail in his game is absurd. O'Reilly is a great player. And Buffalo's incentive to trade him for D dropped drastically last night.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
ROR isn't elite at anything? He's the next best thing to Kopitar/Bergeron as a two-way C. He started over 57% of his shifts in the defensive zone last year and still put up 60 points, even playing in front of a defense that couldn't break a puck out of a paper bag. He took over 2,000 draws and won 60% of them. He took a single 2 minute minor in 81 games. The attention to detail in his game is absurd. O'Reilly is a great player. And Buffalo's incentive to trade him for D dropped drastically last night.

Agree there.

Reactions: MATTHEWSisGretzky

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
actually disagree. BUF should do everything they can get to get a good D partner for him, and not leave him to the Wolves a la Edmonton.

I'd love to grab a defensively responsible veteran to pair with Dahlin, but the cost of doing that should definitely be less than ROR. Plus it's not like Dahlin will be shoehorned into top minutes right out of the gate; if we do nothing more on D, Risto and Scandella will keep eating the toughest minutes.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad