Proposal: Buf - Min

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
But on Buffalo he'd be with Scandella but who'd be with Ristolainen on the top pair? I don't think Scandella and Spurgeon would make a good top pairing at all. Scandella just isn't that guy. I mean he did with Risto, and they were just ok. Scandella would be better on a second pair, and Risto needs a guy like Suter or Valasic to play with.
Thinking Ristolainen can be a top pairing player is probably a bad idea. Thinking he's better than Spurgeon is definitely a terrible idea.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Thinking Ristolainen can be a top pairing player is probably a bad idea. Thinking he's better than Spurgeon is definitely a terrible idea.

Ok whatever. Spurgeon - Ristolainen don't like it. Scandella -Spurgeon good second pairing, bad 1st pairing. Scandella -Ristolainen is just ok and would pair Spurgeon with a crap partner. Regardless, if Ristolainen was paired with a guy like Suter, you might change your tune.

Last edited:

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Ok whatever. Spurgeon - Ristolainen don't like it. Scandella -Spurgeon good second pairing, bad 1st pairing. Scandella -Ristolainen is just ok and would pair Spurgeon with a crap partner. Regardless, if Ristolainen was paired with a guy like Suter, you might change your tune.
Why would Scandella-Spurgeon be a bad 1st pairing?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Why would Scandella-Spurgeon be a bad 1st pairing?

I don't think Scandella could handle playing other teams best players with Spurgeon. I mean I could be wrong. Scandella is good at both ends, not great. I just can't see the two of them fighting for the puck when there stuck in there own end against big forwards.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't think Scandella could handle playing other teams best players with Spurgeon. I mean I could be wrong. Scandella is good at both ends, not great. I just can't see the two of them fighting for the puck when there stuck in there own end against big forwards.
Scandella could do it in Minnesota, and I thought he was solid in the Sabres games I saw this year. Wht wouldn't you expect him to be even better if you gave him a better partner?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Scandella could do it in Minnesota, and I thought he was solid in the Sabres games I saw this year. Wht wouldn't you expect him to be even better if you gave him a better partner?

I'm not convinced. I mean I could be wrong, but I'd have my doubts. And while Spurgeon may be better at positioning, he's not better along the boards or being physical in front of the net.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
This would be dumb for Buffalo cause Suter is good but to old for what’s going on in Buffalo. It’s not like they are a Suter away from being competitive.
Ryan Suter regularly leads the NHL in ice-time. He's a defenseman you build your team around. The Sabres would be stupid to not make this trade. Especially considering the mess that was their defense this season.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm not convinced. I mean I could be wrong, but I'd have my doubts. And while Spurgeon may be better at positioning, he's not better along the boards or being physical in front of the net.
Fair enough, but with all due respect, the fact that you would rather have Brodin over Spurgeon, is very telling on how much you've likely seen of either. Spurgeon is a very legit #2. Brodin is a one dimensional but solid #4.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Fair enough, but with all due respect, the fact that you would rather have Brodin over Spurgeon, is very telling on how much you've likely seen of either. Spurgeon is a very legit #2. Brodin is a one dimensional but solid #4.

It's not because I think Brodin's better. It's because of age and contract. But honestly, I wouldn't trade Middlestadt for either. It would have to be Dumba.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I don’t expect Sabres fans to know this but it’s worth noting that Scandella-Spurgeon was an excellent pairing in Minnesota, better than the sum of its parts, and did occasionally play top competition and handled it.

I understand preferring Brodin based on team composition and need though. It makes total sense.

Reactions: sabrescupbound

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It's not because I think Brodin's better. It's because of age and contract. But honestly, I wouldn't trade Middlestadt for either. It would have to be Dumba.
As a Wild fan, I guess all I can say to that is that I would much rather send you guys Brodin instead of Spurgeon. I do agree with you on your value of Mittlestadt.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Suter is great, but it would be smart for the Wild to get out from under that contract while they can. Especially if they are planning some type of re-tool.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
As a Wild fan, I guess all I can say to that is that I would much rather send you guys Brodin instead of Spurgeon. I do agree with you on your value of Mittlestadt.

Yeah, it's just paying for potential I know, but Buffalo's so bad, there banking on his potential. I don't think they can afford to lose it unless its for the right fit.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Suter is great, but it would be smart for the Wild to get out from under that contract while they can. Especially if they are planning some type of re-tool.

These posts right here do a great job of showing how underrated Suter still is.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I have next to zero concern that Suter will be worth every penny of that contract for the duration of it. The only concerns I have are around potential injuries, but overall he's been a very robust player for his entire career.

Even if we did re-tool, Suter's the perfect guy to have sheltering and setting an example for young defensemen as they're brought into the league. It isn't a coincidence that teams like Nashville and Minnesota do so well at developing those guys.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Thanks. Still wouldn't mind getting another defenceman if at all possible.
Dahlin's a hell of a talent, but building a blueline that won't put all the pressure on him right away is wise. I think a reliable, veteran partner might be all they really need for that. Brodin or Spurgeon would certainly work, but might be overkill in terms of the price they'd require.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Suter might consider this trade if you throw in a first and Parise from minnesota and let him have control of defensive pairings.
And icetime, powerplay time... Also good luck installing a coach like Torch who doesn't get along with Suter.

Honestly can't see a reason why Suter would ever want to leave, given the perks in the job.

Reactions: rynryn

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'll just leave the Spurgeon+Coyle for Mittlestadt on the table. Dahlin-Risto Scandella-Spurgeon. Pretty solid top 4. Minnesota would love Mittlestadt. I think both fanbases would think long and hard about this.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I'll just leave the Spurgeon+Coyle for Mittlestadt on the table. Dahlin-Risto Scandella-Spurgeon. Pretty solid top 4. Minnesota would love Mittlestadt. I think both fanbases would think long and hard about this.

With Dahlin now, the need for a top-pair D is a lot smaller. I'd pass on this now.

Rather build our core around electrifying players like Eichel, Dahlin, Mittelstadt along with Reinhart, ROR and Risto than make this move.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
I really don't think Mittelstadt is going anywhere...he is Botterill's 1st draft pick and looks like he is the real deal. He is a player you build around, not patch holes with. This is no knock on Spurgeon or Coyle.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
This makes absolutely no sense from Buffalo's standpoint. I apologize that a Buffalo fan thought this was a great idea. First off, O'Reilly is 27 and in his prime. He is still the best two way player that we have and as good as Suter is, this just doesn't make any sense for where the Sabres are and how close we are to making a playoff jump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad