Confirmed with Link: [BUF/MIN] Buffalo acquires Jordan Greenway for a 2023 2nd (from VGK) and 2024 5th

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Yeah, I heard that too. I'm hoping the fresh start gives him the kick to get going at it. And that his love for pizza isn't an issue while he's in Buffalo.
This is likely why he is going to amount to nothing. They are thinking Tage with him but the huge difference is that Tage is incredibly dedicated and works his ass off. While you can't teach size you generally can't teach work ethic either.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
This is likely why he is going to amount to nothing. They are thinking Tage with him but the huge difference is that Tage is incredibly dedicated and works his ass off. While you can't teach size you generally can't teach work ethic either.
I agree but I feel like Granato would axe the move if he didn't have work ethic. Maybe Greenway lost directive or enthusiasm for leadership or system but if he was missing fundamentals, he wouldn't be here.

I doubt they're expecting Tage but a big defensively responsible forward checks a few boxes that won't be filled from within any time soon.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
This guy is completely useless. I understand there still may be a learning curve, but watching him play in multiple spots, he looks like a deer in headlights. I don't understand this one.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
This guy is completely useless. I understand there still may be a learning curve, but watching him play in multiple spots, he looks like a deer in headlights. I don't understand this one.
I think we will know in training camp next season. Let's see if he comes in prepared.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think we will know in training camp next season. Let's see if he comes in prepared.
I agree that he looks useless now. I also agree that he could come into camp and be in much better shape and mentally prepared to be a better Sabre. What frustrates me is the low level trade targets that are equal parts reclamation project. This roster needs more than that. Go after bigger targets, or don't throw assets away on mediocre ones.

Reactions: Jacob582

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I love the positivity that is growing around Greenway. He obviously came to the Sabres is less than optimal shape, but is already starting to fit in with the system. He got a very strong endorsement from Don Granato at the time of the trade and Adams went very public with that. They would not have done that unless they thought that Greenway could live up to those expectations and it seems that Granato is the guy who can get Greenway back on track.

Edited for spelling

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

This is why we need to stop overreacting one way or another to small sample sizes for our mental and physical health.

The overreactions based on small sample sizes and hot and cold streaks have been wild this season.

We overreact from shift to shift. Multiple players can be both the best and worst players in the league in the same game if you read the gameday threads.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Oh, please. He was part of one of the most effective lines in hockey during the past couple of years, on a far better team than the Sabres, yet it's somehow a "bad system"? What does that make the Sabres system?

He was moved because of a combination of injury, lack of cap space, and disappointing effort by Greenway, who was known to be less than enthusiastic worker off ice.

On teams like MN, players are asked to play both ways. BUF seems to have a different philosophy. MN has a .628 winning %, and has already clinched a playoff spot. They have been in the playoffs in 10 out of the last 11 seasons. Buf has a .539 winning %, and is out of the playoffs, as of now. During the past 11 seasons, they haven't been in the playoffs even once.

I wish Greenway the best. I was quite high on him till about halfway through last year, when it became evident to me, while watching him live, that he simply didn't put in the effort that all of the other players did. I think it was probably because he was in bad shape...he always seemed to be bent over and gasping for breath. If he put in the work that our 4th liners do then he'd be a very legit middle six wing with unique strengths. As is, he's a liability on the ice at his cap hit. If he learns a lesson from this trade and puts in the work that most pro players do, then BUF will likely have "won" this trade, but it requires a change of attitude and behavior on JD's part. He's 26 yo ... not a kid anymore. Time for him to get to work.
He's been very good since returning from injury. Not a liability at all.

Hopefully he puts in the work because it does sound like he needs to step it up a bit on the conditioning side of things.

I've intrigued by him at least. He brings a lot of what this team lacks, and lately, he's been bringing it. Hopefully it continues, because we can use him when he's on his game.

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
I like the way he is fitting in now that he has settled, likely at someone's house or apartment, gotten his belongings from Min, gotten a day to breath, seen his g.f, etc. should be able to play up/down the lineup next season and pitch in.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
He's been very good since returning from injury. Not a liability at all.

Hopefully he puts in the work because it does sound like he needs to step it up a bit on the conditioning side of things.

I've intrigued by him at least. He brings a lot of what this team lacks, and lately, he's been bringing it. Hopefully it continues, because we can use him when he's on his game.
greenway has all the tools to be a nice 3rd line player on a playoff team. totally agree that is a big need for us. our young players are so top heavy on skill that when it comes to playoffs some of the matchups wouldn’t be necessarily favorable…. so it’s good to see guys like this being added.

whether or not he becomes an actual ‘piece’ on the roster remains tbd. but it’s hard not to have faith in donny saying things like ‘there is a lot more to this player’ given his results with many of our other players. if donny can truly unlock this kid’s potential it will do us wonders.

not really sure where i’m going with this. just figured i’d drop in my two cents now that we’ve seen a reasonable sample of greenway playing on this roster

• Love
Reactions: Dex

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
greenway has all the tools to be a nice 3rd line player on a playoff team. totally agree that is a big need for us. our young players are so top heavy on skill that when it comes to playoffs some of the matchups wouldn’t be necessarily favorable…. so it’s good to see guys like this being added.

whether or not he becomes an actual ‘piece’ on the roster remains tbd. but it’s hard not to have faith in donny saying things like ‘there is a lot more to this player’ given his results with many of our other players. if donny can truly unlock this kid’s potential it will do us wonders.

not really sure where i’m going with this. just figured i’d drop in my two cents now that we’ve seen a reasonable sample of greenway playing on this roster
Can Savoie or Kulich center him and Mitts next season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad