Confirmed with Link: [BUF/MIN] Buffalo acquires Jordan Greenway for a 2023 2nd (from VGK) and 2024 5th

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He's in Wild shape and not Sabres shape.

He is getting more ice time than he did over the last 10-20 games in Minnesota and the pace is different.

I don’t think he has had the cardio all year with the injury stuff. He will need more than just games to get up to game speed. He also likely isn’t practiced at the short area stuff Don and his staff use, so there will need to be adjustments to his processing speed for what his teammates are doing.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
You can’t coach size that he has. For gods sake his helmet looks tiny on his head. Hard to move him out of position. This is type of player that we need

He is a calculated gamble. One that is worth a shot. Before you judge him, give him some time

Similar stats to Timo Meier on devils so far and many loved Meier

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
You can’t coach size that he has. For gods sake his helmet looks tiny on his head. Hard to move him out of position. This is type of player that we need

He is a calculated gamble. One that is worth a shot. Before you judge him, give him some time

Counting stats yes, xGF% is night and day different.

Reactions: Chainshot

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Oh brother 🤣🤣🤣

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
He is still pretty clearly adjusting but you see some of the defensive aspects he brings. He did have one absolute headscratcher of a play last game where he was free and clear to skate out of the zone and he turned back for reasons unknown and promptly lost the puck. Otherwise nothing glaring in either direction so far from him.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He is still pretty clearing adjusting but you see some of the defensive aspects he brings. He did have one absolute headscratcher of a play last game where he was free and clear to skate out of the zone and he turned back for reasons unknown and promptly lost the puck. Otherwise nothing glaring in either direction so far from him.

I think the turn-back thing is part of what they're drilling all of them on and he tried it but it was poorly timed which made it easy to see and note. They all do it and often use it to facilitate finishing a change. The issue was probably more the length of his shift (about 2 minutes) and the defensemen were almost equally gassed.

I'm expecting him to get his shoulder right and come in to next year with something to prove. Right now, hopefully he can hang on and play to his strengths defensively and along the wall, while they are still grinding forward.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don’t think he has had the cardio all year with the injury stuff. He will need more than just games to get up to game speed. He also likely isn’t practiced at the short area stuff Don and his staff use, so there will need to be adjustments to his processing speed for what his teammates are doing.
The thing is in Minnesota he was not interested in fitness. One of the biggest gripes Guerin had with Greenway is his conditioning and his approach to the game. In an exit interview Guerin mentioned that Greenway needed to take his conditioning more seriously.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The thing is in Minnesota he was not interested in fitness. One of the biggest gripes Guerin had with Greenway is his conditioning and his approach to the game. In an exit interview Guerin mentioned that Greenway needed to take his conditioning more seriously.

Yeah, I heard that too. I'm hoping the fresh start gives him the kick to get going at it. And that his love for pizza isn't an issue while he's in Buffalo.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Honestly I hope he does well for you guys. If he does it is a win win situation

Thanks. I think the Sabres are banking on how their group works and the faith Granato has in him as a way to get more out of him. Sometimes players need a trade to wise up about how to treat their bodies and act like professionals. Hopefully this is that sort of case.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I don't hate the Greenway addition, but I don't really see where he fits in. At first I thought/hoped he would be Okposo's replacement next season, and just be an extra defensive FW for now, fill in where necessary. But this talk about him not being happy in Minny as a 4th liner, and Granato thinking there's more to get from him...I just don't see it. He's never had a good shot, never been over physical. If he's not used as a 4th liner in the role of Okposo/Girgensons, I just don't get why they traded for him.

Reactions: Bendium

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't hate the Greenway addition, but I don't really see where he fits in. At first I thought/hoped he would be Okposo's replacement next season, and just be an extra defensive FW for now, fill in where necessary. But this talk about him not being happy in Minny as a 4th liner, and Granato thinking there's more to get from him...I just don't see it. He's never had a good shot, never been over physical. If he's not used as a 4th liner in the role of Okposo/Girgensons, I just don't get why they traded for him.

I can sort of see it if they think he can keep up in the middle 6. What he has done well in Minny was more defend and cycle. They could certainly use the cycle help though it seems like they need the other middle 6 guys to work on that too. I'm curious at a Mitts - ____ - Greenway combo as a more skilled version of the Okposo line. Cycle, hound pucks, push through traffic and try to jam the net. That might be Jost in the middle of the trio since he is one of the few guys who regularly is fighting to get inside position and staying around the crease without the puck. *shrug* If they can get Greenway's pace up to the rest of the team, who knows, that might be a spot next year for someone we haven't seen on the roster.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I can sort of see it if they think he can keep up in the middle 6. What he has done well in Minny was more defend and cycle. They could certainly use the cycle help though it seems like they need the other middle 6 guys to work on that too. I'm curious at a Mitts - ____ - Greenway combo as a more skilled version of the Okposo line. Cycle, hound pucks, push through traffic and try to jam the net. That might be Jost in the middle of the trio since he is one of the few guys who regularly is fighting to get inside position and staying around the crease without the puck. *shrug* If they can get Greenway's pace up to the rest of the team, who knows, that might be a spot next year for someone we haven't seen on the roster.
Yeah if Olofsson is traded and slot Greenway in there (and he gets his pace up, etc) then that's a different/better line. Still, he's got two more years under contract with a lot of room for improvement to justify re-signing him, while in the meantime a couple shiny top-9 FWs coming along to force him back down to a 4th line role he apparently wouldn't like.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah if Olofsson is traded and slot Greenway in there (and he gets his pace up, etc) then that's a different/better line. Still, he's got two more years under contract with a lot of room for improvement to justify re-signing him, while in the meantime a couple shiny top-9 FWs coming along to force him back down to a 4th line role he apparently wouldn't like.

Yeah, he's going to have heat coming from the prospect pipeline for his spot in the lineup. He can't be complacent and I don't think he wants to reward someone who went to bat for him by not putting in the work, but we'll see.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'll give Greenway the summer to get his shit sorted. He should see opportunity here he didn't in Minnesota. But my guess is he will be on a pretty short leash next year. My hope for him is a 10-15 goal guy who can help the PK and provide a physical presence in the middle 6 of the lineup. If he can't live up to that, than they can buy him out next summer.

Reactions: enthusiast

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'll give Greenway the summer to get his shit sorted. He should see opportunity here he didn't in Minnesota. But my guess is he will be on a pretty short leash next year. My hope for him is a 10-15 goal guy who can help the PK and provide a physical presence in the middle 6 of the lineup. If he can't live up to that, than they can buy him out next summer.

Or, you know, they just play him at the role he provides down the lineup for a 2nd season and move on from him.

Edit - I'm curious why you would think they should go to a buy out? I have a suspicion why, but I would like to know why you would go to that.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Or, you know, they just play him at the role he provides down the lineup for a 2nd season and move on from him.

Edit - I'm curious why you would think they should go to a buy out? I have a suspicion why, but I would like to know why you would go to that.

I'm simply assuming if he is a frequent healthy scratch or 4th line player at 3M a year he won't carry much trade value, especially at age 27 next year. A buyout would clear the roster spot and clear 2M in cap space. I guess that is assuming we'll be closer to the cap than and it matters, but that isn't a given.

Reactions: enthusiast

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Still think we won't see the return until 20-30 games into next season. Maybe Greenway catches up a bit this season and it will be a good sign if he comes out of the gate in October raging but won't bring consistency until after he battles away a slump next year.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'll give Greenway the summer to get his shit sorted. But my guess is he will be on a pretty short leash next year.
I don't think that will be the case at all. Clearly Granato likes the guy and thinks that he can offer more than he's shown.

I think he gets a long leash all of next year.....his short leash won't come if/until Granato sees him as a mostly lost cause. And IMO it'll take 100 games or so for Granato to even think about shortening that leash.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
I don't think that will be the case at all. Clearly Granato likes the guy and thinks that he can offer more than he's shown.

I think he gets a long leash all of next year.....his short leash won't come if/until Granato sees him as a mostly lost cause. And IMO it'll take 100 games or so for Granato to even think about shortening that leash.
Agreed, look at how long it took him to sit Vic 💀

Nino Noderreiter

Jul 5, 2011
The Twin Cities
He possessed the puck forever down low. Sorry it didn’t end up on the score sheet as he flipped lines between noted point machines Okposo and Olofsson.
For what it's worth, when he was good for the Wild to whatever extent he was good it was because he was a monster at possessing pucks down low on the cycle and funnel pucks to the point or the front of the net. The Ek, Foligno, Greenway line was arguably the best two-way line in hockey because of their ability to shut down opposing top lines and outscore them and largely that was due to the physical game they played off the wall from the cycle.

I think Greenway can be a cog on a line like that which leads to successful outcomes. I don't know if he will ever be a big goal guy or a big stat sheet guy. He was usually the guy down low pushing pucks in front versus in front.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Can't judge this move until next year. This season is a write-off for Greenway. I've seen enough to give Granato the benefit of the doubt here. Let's see what he does next year. If he doesn't pan out, it's not that big of a deal. If he can be even a good 4th liner and PK-er next year, I'm not unhappy. He's a project with high potential upside though - so let's see if Donny and the team vibe can work some magic. Maybe Tuch can help get him on the right track. This is another "Moneyball" move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad