Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Kyle Okposo (7 Years, $6.000M AAV)

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
Not true, by the various numbers put out by multiple sources.

That said, rather than debating re-apportionment of New York State, can we go back to talking about Okposo and this signing?

Meh... This is more fun...

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Well that's not true. A post industrial economy built on private service industry can be just has healthy and productive as an industrial economy.

NY's problem isn't where the tax money is funneling to, it's that NYC has ridiculous tax demands to fund bloated social welfare programs that Upstate never needed in the first place.

NYS would be much better off splitting into three states. NYC, North and Central NY, and WNY.

8m all in for a split, Syracuse to WNY, a new state, WNY, Olean can be the Capitol

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Not true, by the various numbers put out by multiple sources.

That said, rather than debating re-apportionment of New York State, can we go back to talking about Okposo and this signing?

Thank you, and yes, this Okposo fella. Where does he slot in? ROR or Eichel?

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
8m all in for a split, Syracuse to WNY, a new state, WNY, Olean can be the Capitol

I've always liked New Amsterdam better than West New York.

And Okposo is going on O'Reilly's wing opposite Kane. Eichel's wingers are going to be Reinhart and Vesey if he signs, or Girgensons until Nylander takes it from him.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Out of all the top UFAs on the market today, only Okposo comes close to the value of the contract. Ladd would too, but 7 years is too long. Buffalo has a decent forward core, but now needs to do something about that defense

Eriksson and Lucic are worth their dollar figures too. Like Ladd, it's the term that's the problem.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I'm usually against "splash" moves in free agency, but Buffalo really minimized risk with the player they went after and the way they structured his deal.
Minimized the risk? They gave him the buyout-proof Clarkson special with all that signing bonus money. I think Okposo is definitely worth the money, but the way the contract is structured is an insanely huge risk.

I would have rather given him 1M more per year than give him any signing bonus after his first year.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Minimized the risk? They gave him the buyout-proof Clarkson special with all that signing bonus money. I think Okposo is definitely worth the money, but the way the contract is structured is an insanely huge risk.

I would have rather given him 1M more per year than give him any signing bonus after his first year.

It's not quite buyout proof.

And the way it is set up..he should be an easy trade to a budget team looking for a cap hit of 6 mill without paying a lot of actual real $$.

They could do this anytime after year 4

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

his signing bonus decreases over time while his salary goes up. I forget exact numbers but it was reported yesterday, something like, signing bonus $: 6-6-3-3-3-1-1, salary $: 1-1-3-3-3-4-4

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

The way Okposo's contract is structured, it should be movable to a cap floor team in the later years if Buffalo needs to clear space. He'll be owed less than his cap hit, and his NTC only covers 15 teams (full NMC for the first 2 years, though).

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
You sign a Okposo when you are close and Buffalo isn't close. Their D and Goaltending is no where near where it needs to be and they haven't even fired Dan Bylsma and moved on to a more competent coach yet. The Pegulas have no patience.:shakehead

paragon

May 5, 2010
The way Okposo's contract is structured, it should be movable to a cap floor team in the later years if Buffalo needs to clear space. He'll be owed less than his cap hit, and his NTC only covers 15 teams (full NMC for the first 2 years, though).
Cap floor teams are often quite undesirable locations and are pretty likely to be on his NTC, if he cares about winning Stanley Cup at some point. I'm not saying he's immovable as Clarkson was also moved, but I'm saying it's pretty far fom the minimized risks claimed by Meichel Kane.

With the way his contract is structured I think it's never worth it to buy him out to save money. Even if you buy his last 3 years out you only save 3M in real money. And the cap savings are also pretty negligible.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Cap floor teams are often quite undesirable locations and are pretty likely to be on his NTC, if he cares about winning Stanley Cup at some point. I'm not saying he's immovable as Clarkson was also moved, but I'm saying it's pretty far fom the minimized risks claimed by Meichel Kane.

With the way his contract is structured I think it's never worth it to buy him out to save money. Even if you buy his last 3 years out you only save 3M in real money. And the cap savings are also pretty negligible.

Buy out in the final 3 years is fine, his signing bonus is reduced over time.

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
You sign a Okposo when you are close and Buffalo isn't close. Their D and Goaltending is no where near where it needs to be and they haven't even fired Dan Bylsma and moved on to a more competent coach yet. The Pegulas have no patience.:shakehead

Our defense may not be the best in the league but it is adaquate. We have our #1 and several top 4 players, and when our top goalie was healthy last season, he posted very high save percentages. If these past few years have taught us anything, you don't need a top goalie to win.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

So you're saying we shouldn't be improving the team until we improve the team? :dunno:

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Priorities!!!!! D and Goaltending first. Hasn't Buffalo learned from the Evander Kane mistake yet??

Except.... By far our biggest issue last year was scoring goals. We need offense. Our D was adequate last year and is definitely improved, and goaltending was fine. Most fans have faith in Lehner and we will almost certainly add another goalie soon.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006

*demands patience*

*wants coach fired*

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The problem continues to be people not understanding where Buffalo is in their rebuild. Around the halfway point of the season I suspect theyill figure it out.

Leaving subpar wingers for RoR and Eichel to play with doesn't help anyone.

Adding another D before expansion makes no sense either since one will be plucked away and that's a net gain of nothing.

Lehner played very well and has the year to show what he can do coming in healthy.

And the prospect ranks have a good group of potential under their super young core that's already made it up. Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Rodrigues, Cornel, Asplund, Pu, Estephan, Carrier, Guhle, Borgen, Nelson, Martin, Ullmark, Peterson...

They haven't neglected potential futures either. That's why they acquired so many picks. They could bundle for players and still have something in the coffers.

The salt people have whenever the team improves is hilarious.

They're young. They're improving. They have prospect depth behind the young core. They signed a player. Deal with it.

It's like everyone knows that Edmonton staying at the bottom and not making moves for 8 years was horrible and ruined everyone...but acquiring top end talent like Risto, Eichel and Reinhart and then insulating them and giving them talent to play with so they don't sit at the bottom is...bad?

Um...

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Hockey's Future... where Edmonton is the most laughed at franchise but at the same time how people think you should build a team.

tim212

Apr 1, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The problem continues to be people not understanding where Buffalo is in their rebuild. Around the halfway point of the season I suspect theyill figure it out.

Leaving subpar wingers for RoR and Eichel to play with doesn't help anyone.

Adding another D before expansion makes no sense either since one will be plucked away and that's a net gain of nothing.

Lehner played very well and has the year to show what he can do coming in healthy.

And the prospect ranks have a good group of potential under their super young core that's already made it up. Nylander, Fasching, Bailey, Baptiste, Rodrigues, Cornel, Asplund, Pu, Estephan, Carrier, Guhle, Borgen, Nelson, Martin, Ullmark, Peterson...

They haven't neglected potential futures either. That's why they acquired so many picks. They could bundle for players and still have something in the coffers.

The salt people have whenever the team improves is hilarious.

They're young. They're improving. They have prospect depth behind the young core. They signed a player. Deal with it.

It's like everyone knows that Edmonton staying at the bottom and not making moves for 8 years was horrible and ruined everyone...but acquiring top end talent like Risto, Eichel and Reinhart and then insulating them and giving them talent to play with so they don't sit at the bottom is...bad?

Um...

I guess it really shouldn't be shocking that posters here consistently hate on the sabres loading up with talent, considering they are set to beat up on every Canadian team- except edmonton- for the next decade or so.

I assume most of you are from Canada yes?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Priorities!!!!! D and Goaltending first. Hasn't Buffalo learned from the Evander Kane mistake yet??

Buffalo's problem last year was actually offense. They were middle in the league in GA but bottom 5 in GF.

The last 41 games they played at a playoff team rate si 8f they were prorated to 82 games they would have been in the playoff hunt.

They were just 6 games behind detroit for a playoff spot...win 6 of the regulation losses and they tie detroit.

Kane wasn't the reason they missed the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
They had one less win in regulation than Detroit last year despite not scoring at all.

How dare they add scoring.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This is going to be a good team. Only question mark is in goal.

Risto may establish himself this year as one of the best defenseman in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad