Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Kyle Okposo (7 Years, $6.000M AAV)

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I'm pretty sure Tavares is godfather to Moulsons 1st born. Daughter.

There ya go, John Tavares to Buffalo, confirmed. Moulson's contract not looking too bad now, we just didn't realize we were using him for his networking. Now we just gotta get Quick to leave LA cheap and we can have a whole reunion.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Maybe they enjoy losing 20% of what they earn to state taxes every year? The great thing about New York is you can live 350 miles west of New York City and you still have to pay New York State's ridiculous taxes which mostly get funneled back into New York City.

This is why I left as soon as I could.

Nolanitis

Feb 19, 2007
NYC
Maybe they enjoy losing 20% of what they earn to state taxes every year? The great thing about New York is you can live 350 miles west of New York City and you still have to pay New York State's ridiculous taxes which mostly get funneled back into New York City.

Sucks to lose Okposo, should be interesting to see how he does next year
You should look up that fact on NYC, NYC pays way more in taxes than it gets back.

http://observer.com/2014/10/northern-exposure-the-give-and-take-between-upstate-and-downstate/

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
This is why I left as soon as I could.

Buffalo's taxes aren't as bad as some are making them out to be. It's not Florida or Nevada without any state tax, but in comparison to most places Buffalo and WNY is pretty middle of the road. We have high property tax percentages, but that's because home prices are so low. We pay a higher percentage of our homes assessed value, but that's because you can get a house in Buffalo or in some of the first ring suburbs for $60-70k that would cost you $150+ in places like Florida or $300k+ in NYC. Here's a breakdown done on Stamkos and the tax rates between Buffalo, Detroit, Tampa, and Toronto. (http://buffalo.com/2016/06/28/featured/buffalo-taxes-potential-steven-stamkos-offer-sabres/)

This idea that we are ridiculously high taxed to pay for NYC is just a political talking point. Our population is dwarfed by downstate populations and our actual cost of living is lower, we pay higher percentage in comparison to our income and property value, but the biggest contributor to high taxes is the school tax. None if which goes to NYC, and is set locally.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Buffalo's taxes aren't as bad as some are making them out to be. It's not Florida or Nevada without any state tax, but in comparison to most places Buffalo and WNY is pretty middle of the road. We have high property tax percentages, but that's because home prices are so low. We pay a higher percentage of our homes assessed value, but that's because you can get a house in Buffalo or in some of the first ring suburbs for $60-70k that would cost you $150+ in places like Florida or $300k+ in NYC. Here's a breakdown done on Stamkos and the tax rates between Buffalo, Detroit, Tampa, and Toronto. (http://buffalo.com/2016/06/28/featured/buffalo-taxes-potential-steven-stamkos-offer-sabres/)

This idea that we are ridiculously high taxed to pay for NYC is just a political talking point. Our population is dwarfed by downstate populations and our actual cost of living is lower, we pay higher percentage in comparison to our income and property value, but the biggest contributor to high taxes is the school tax. None if which goes to NYC, and is set locally.

I pay WAY less in taxes where I live now, than what I would've paid in WNY if I stayed. It's not even close, and NY State is one of the top five states for taxes every year. I don't care much about upstate vs downstate comparisons when the bottom line is still ----ty.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The cost of living in Buffalo is so low...the dollar goes so much farther...and that's with the taxes.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I pay WAY less in taxes where I live now, than what I would've paid in WNY if I stayed. It's not even close, and NY State is one of the top five states for taxes every year. I don't care much about upstate vs downstate comparisons when the bottom line is still ----ty.

Well where do you live now, and what's the population like? Lots of factors go into tax rates, and though you may be paying less you may also have less benefits, worse education, less regulation. You can get really low property taxes in Texas because they are "business friendly", but that also means you may not have much recourse if the fracking outpost next door messes up and turns your drinking water flammable. It's all relative.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport

someone's gotta be having a kid soon, quick ask Tavares to be the God father.

I'm sure Tavares can ask his Uncle about how great Buffalo is.
usl_john_tavares_buffalo_bandits.jpg

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My only problem with this signing is the term. But it is not exclusive to Okoposo. Same for Lucic's comparable deal. The player I like and given a choice I would have taken him over Lucic. But 7 years is a long time for a 28 year old.

The positive I think he will be an instant impact player with the Sabres. So short and mid term it was a good signing, we will see how Okoposo plays when he nears the end of his contract.

Price you pay for doing business on July 1.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Yeah. The Tavares talk was funny like the first 3 times...

Move on.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
6 is about fair for Okposo. I thought he would get 7 plus from some stupid GM.

Not a bad deal for Buffalo, I like him better as a player than Lucic or Ladd, he's easily more skilled than either of them, although Ladd is a better two-way player and Lucic is easily a better physical presence, in my opinion.

Very good 2nd line wing, borderline 1st liner. Getting paid for what he is and he'll help. Okposo and the Sabres both win with this deal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
6 is about fair for Okposo. I thought he would get 7 plus from some stupid GM.

Not a bad deal for Buffalo, I like him better as a player than Lucic or Ladd, he's easily more skilled than either of them, although Ladd is a better two-way player and Lucic is easily a better physical presence, in my opinion.

Very good 2nd line wing, borderline 1st liner. Getting paid for what he is and he'll help. Okposo and the Sabres both win with this deal.

Agree here. I like Okoposo more than Lucic or Ladd. I also think he has more miles in the tank.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Agree here. I like Okoposo more than Lucic or Ladd. I also think he has more miles in the tank.

Okposo wasn't the right fit for the Isles anymore, it's no surprise they decided to let him go. Isles fans pretty much knew he was gone a year ago when no extension was reached.

KO does get nicked up too, he is relatively durable yet it can be argued that he is a bit injury prone. I think the detached retina really scared the crap out of the organization. It was reported that it just kind of happened out of nowhere. It wasn't a result of taking a hit in a game or practice, it just happened in his normal life. Understand too that his vision was already pretty terrible to begin with , he wears contacts and some really thick glasses. Just something to be aware of because it is a concern and something to be monitored. It's serious enough that it shouldn't be swept under the rug.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Well where do you live now, and what's the population like? Lots of factors go into tax rates, and though you may be paying less you may also have less benefits, worse education, less regulation. You can get really low property taxes in Texas because they are "business friendly", but that also means you may not have much recourse if the fracking outpost next door messes up and turns your drinking water flammable. It's all relative.

I live in a modern day large city with a population about 35% higher than Buffalo. It has schools too, and my school district is the best in my county. I have great benefits through my employment. There is less regulation, and that directly impacts tax rates for the better. I call it a win-win.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Okposo wasn't the right fit for the Isles anymore, it's no surprise they decided to let him go. Isles fans pretty much knew he was gone a year ago when no extension was reached.

KO does get nicked up too, he is relatively durable yet it can be argued that he is a bit injury prone. I think the detached retina really scared the crap out of the organization. It was reported that it just kind of happened out of nowhere. It wasn't a result of taking a hit in a game or practice, it just happened in his normal life. Understand too that his vision was already pretty terrible to begin with , he wears contacts and some really thick glasses. Just something to be aware of because it is a concern and something to be monitored. It's serious enough that it shouldn't be swept under the rug.

I think you are referencing my comment that Okposo has more miles in the tank than Lucic and Ladd. Both the latter have a lot of hard NHL games and years under them.

I just think Okposo is likely to play well in his mid to later years of his contract, which is more in part is due to the other 2 players having a lot of miles under them. The vision I didn't know about, but couldn't laser surgery correct this? I am just asking, this is a common procedure these days.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
I live in a modern day large city with a population about 35% higher than Buffalo. It has schools too, and my school district is the best in my county. I have great benefits through my employment. There is less regulation, and that directly impacts tax rates for the better. I call it a win-win.

So you live outside the US, so you probably have higher Federal level taxes to compensate for the likely universal health care. The city you live in is larger than Buffalo, which doesn't mean much as Buffalo is pretty small for being a major city, but the country is likely far smaller than the US. You either live in an economic powerhouse which allows its smaller population to work to its advantage, or a country which is being subsidized by one of the world's other power house economies.

Like I said, it's all relative. Taxes are cheaper in a lot of US states, and if you have continued employment and no stress on the regions jobs, that's great. But if you live in a state that keeps taxes obscenely low by opting out of programs like Medicaid and having stricter guidelines for things like food stamps, if you ever find yourself in a not so stable economic situation you could have catastrophic results. Like all things, you get what you pay for. Higher taxes usually equate to higher standards of living, better education, more police and fire support, better safety net programs, and a higher likelyhood of good paying safe jobs because major companies can be given better tax incentives to house themselves where you live. Everyone pays taxes, if you feel having stripped down services and having the government make risky decisions based on a lack of funding is worth an extra 4% of your pay check then that's totally up to you. I'm just saying Buffalo's taxes aren't bad in relation to other places if you actually look into it, if having to pay a little extra ensures the local government doesn't decide to stop cleaning my water supply because they're in austerity mode, then I'm fine with that.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think you are referencing my comment that Okposo has more miles in the tank than Lucic and Ladd. Both the latter have a lot of hard NHL games and years under them.

I just think Okposo is likely to play well in his mid to later years of his contract, which is more in part is due to the other 2 players having a lot of miles under them. The vision I didn't know about, but couldn't laser surgery correct this? I am just asking, this is a common procedure these days.

Not all that familiar with it, here's a good article from SI about his injury and then an interview with a doctor about detached retinas at the bottom...

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/04/23/ne...s-game-after-scary-eye-injury-detached-retina

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So you live outside the US, so you probably have higher Federal level taxes to compensate for the likely universal health care. The city you live in is larger than Buffalo, which doesn't mean much as Buffalo is pretty small for being a major city, but the country is likely far smaller than the US. You either live in an economic powerhouse which allows its smaller population to work to its advantage, or a country which is being subsidized by one of the world's other power house economies.

Like I said, it's all relative. Taxes are cheaper in a lot of US states, and if you have continued employment and no stress on the regions jobs, that's great. But if you live in a state that keeps taxes obscenely low by opting out of programs like Medicaid and having stricter guidelines for things like food stamps, if you ever find yourself in a not so stable economic situation you could have catastrophic results. Like all things, you get what you pay for. Higher taxes usually equate to higher standards of living, better education, more police and fire support, better safety net programs, and a higher likelyhood of good paying safe jobs because major companies can be given better tax incentives to house themselves where you live. Everyone pays taxes, if you feel having stripped down services and having the government make risky decisions based on a lack of funding is worth an extra 4% of your pay check then that's totally up to you. I'm just saying Buffalo's taxes aren't bad in relation to other places if you actually look into it, if having to pay a little extra ensures the local government doesn't decide to stop cleaning my water supply because they're in austerity mode, then I'm fine with that.

So I live outside the US?!? What are you talking about? Is this some funny comment that I don't get? I live in the south east (in the US). Taxes are lower, fees, regulations, etc are lower or non-existent. And yet somehow the sun rises without a bunch of gov't funded crap leaching money from my salary in order to pay for a bunch of gov't programs that pretend to make life better.

Maybe you need to get out more. I have family that finally moved away recently, and they're still trying to wrap their heads around the fact that they keep more salary, and all sorts of various money-grab fees don't exist. It's almost like living in a free country. You should try it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad