Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Jeff Skinner signs extension (8 years, $9M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They could have probably held firm at 8.25 and still signed him. He wants to be near that area and I doubt Montreal/Toronto/Ottawa/whoever would be more appealing with their offers. Plus 8 years over 7

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
ROR put himself at odds with Sabres management and ownership at the end of the 2017-18 season when he said very plainly and clearly that the team has become "okay with losing."

It was a direct shot at the coaching staff and an insult to the owners. Even if that were completely true, you don't say that in public but you take it up with your teammates and management in private instead.

I think the owner had enough of him, and I would have shipped his sorry ass out of town too.

That's how you trade ROR for a bag of spare parts.

The player had not exactly enhanced his value.

"We're stuck in this mindset of just being OK with losing"

At least use the exact quote instead of making things up. Such a Buffalo thing to do to blame the player instead of the real issues at hand.

Sabres' Ryan O'Reilly says he lost love of game, lacked mental toughness

Re-read it. That isn't a ROR problem, thats a Sabres problem and we obviously know what is different now with ROR gone.

Get your facts right.

I correctly quoted O'Reilly in my original post as having criticized the Sabres for having become "okay with losing."

I'm not at all a Sabres fan, but if I were I would have wanted to ask what was his personal commitment to changing that; what actions would he take other than to turn on his teammates?

This is the same gentleman who celebrated the signing of his new July 2015 $52-million contract with the Sabres by driving his truck into a Tim Horton's donut shop at 4 a.m. and being charged with a drinking and driving offence, for which he was later acquitted.

I'm glad things are working out for him with the Blues, because to my mind he was running out of strikes.

Reactions: Hellinator

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
No, but if we're reading minds, I would say that for some inexplicable reason you're just trying to bash the Sabres. What's up with that?
So the only reason to complain about this contract is to bash the Sabres?

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Why don’t we consider that McDavid is in a no-tax province.

Matthews produced at a higher rate than Malkin before they signed their respective ELC contracts yet made 8-9% less on same term. He did not get overpaid.

Lul_ab1619_455915.jpg

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
So the only reason to complain about this contract is to bash the Sabres?
Yes. I don't see what's wrong with the contract. The Sabres signed a 27 year-old 40-goal scorer at the going rate for 27 year-old 40-goal scorers. They operate in the same player market as every other franchise.

Skin Tape Session

Oct 7, 2017
Get your facts right.

I correctly quoted O'Reilly in my original post as having criticized the Sabres for having become "okay with losing."

I'm not at all a Sabres fan, but if I were I would have wanted to ask what was his personal commitment to changing that; what actions would he take other than to turn on his teammates?

This is the same gentleman who celebrated the signing of his new July 2015 $52-million contract with the Sabres by driving his truck into a Tim Horton's donut shop at 4 a.m. and being charged with a drinking and driving offence, for which he was later acquitted.

I'm glad things are working out for him with the Blues, because to my mind he was running out of strikes.

Great post. I never liked him, from the pain in the ass he was to col, to the truck thing and then throwing teammates under the bus. If it walks like a duck etc etc

Reactions: Hellinator

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Nope to bash Pegula Sports and Entertainment Inc. along with using fracking to advance yourself up the social ladder
Not to derail the thread, but I've actually worked in the Marcellus and Bakkan Shale fields along with the Niabrara, the effects of fracking in the currently in the US collectively is less than one 6.7 earthquake with regards to chemical, sand and methane gas releases.
While it is most certainly an impact environmentally, it's overall impact nationwide is wholly insignificant over an estimated 110 year period when compared to just 5 major natural ground moving events. And while I profit through the process, your hyperbole of the process only works to further sew disinformation of it.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
8 years is fine, the $9,000,000 AAV is comically bad.

He’s realistically a $7,000,000 player now, which is probably a $8,000,000 dollar player in year 3-5.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Yeah, 30-35 is probably a reasonable expectation with a 40 goal season (or two) thrown in there. Probably a season under 30 as well, just because that's how the cookie crumbles sometime in any given year.

But 30-35 would be a reasonable expectation on a yearly basis for Skinner from me.

I'd expect more than one 40 goal season considering he just got one and the deal hasn't even started. Just me.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I'd expect more than one 40 goal season considering he just got one and the deal hasn't even started. Just me.

So because he put up 40 with Eichel (and for the 1st time in his career) we should expect it every year?

Does that mean we should also expect Eichel to never surpass 30 goals as long as he's playing with Skinner?

Skinner also had the 2nd highest PDO of his career, and the highest shooting percentage of his career. I don't think we can expect that to happen every year.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So because he put up 40 with Eichel (and for the 1st time in his career) we should expect it every year?

Does that mean we should also expect Eichel to never surpass 30 goals as long as he's playing with Skinner?

More than 1 40 goal year does not equate to "expect it every year".

Skinner had 33G in 71G in 13/14 (38G / 82 game pace)
Skinner had 37G in 79G in 16/17 (38G / 82 game pace)
Skinner had 40G in 82G this past season

Scoring is up in the NHL and Skinner is likely going to continue to play with the best playmaking center he's ever played with, get 1st PP time (which he wasn't getting in Carolina), and get more TOI on a consistent basis (18:31 this year vs. 16-17 min in Carolina). There's no guarantee he'll score 40 again, but there are valid reasons to believe he may do it a couple times more in the future, provided he stays healthy.

Reactions: Aladyyn

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
More than 1 40 goal year does not equate to "expect it every year".

Skinner had 33G in 71G in 13/14 (38G / 82 game pace)
Skinner had 37G in 79G in 16/17 (38G / 82 game pace)
Skinner had 40G in 82G this past season

Scoring is up in the NHL and Skinner is likely going to continue to play with the best playmaking center he's ever played with, get 1st PP time (which he wasn't getting in Carolina), and get more TOI on a consistent basis (18:31 this year vs. 16-17 min in Carolina). There's no guarantee he'll score 40 again, but there are valid reasons to believe he may do it a couple times more in the future, provided he stays healthy.

Sure, and that's exactly why in my original post I said it's reasonable to expect a 40 goal season or two. Expecting much more than that is just wishful thinking.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Sure, and that's exactly why in my original post I said it's reasonable to expect a 40 goal season or two. Expecting much more than that is just wishful thinking.

Ok, I was responding to your "every year" statement which was responding to a guy that said: "I'd expect more than one 40 goal season."

I didn't read that guy as saying "every year". I think he's a little more optimistic than your 1 (or two) comment, but I don't think anybody is expecting 8 40 goal seasons.

Reactions: Hetfield

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So he saved his own job rather and tried the keep the team afloat for the immediate future rather than plan for realistic long term success? Cool, have fun with another bottom 10 finish Buffalo!

I don't see how letting a legit 1st line goal scoring winger walk for nothing helps build towards long term success.

You need to retain your good players to reach long term success.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think any competent manager could tolerate a veteran player effectively saying "This team is a bunch of losers."

He would have to say, "Fine. If that's how you feel then GTFO. Don't come back to this room, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out."

That isn't what ROR said.

He talked about the losing beating him down and how as a team it beat everyone down.

If anyone watched that team, that is not surprising. And if you look at ROR's splits from that season, ROR was consistent from the first half of the season to the second half of the season.

If a GM gets rid of good players that hate to lose, he won't be an NHL GM for long.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Ok, I was responding to your "every year" statement which was responding to a guy that said: "I'd expect more than one 40 goal season."

I didn't read that guy as saying "every year". I think he's a little more optimistic than your 1 (or two) comment, but I don't think anybody is expecting 8 40 goal seasons.

My bad. Sounds like our wires got crossed. Bottom line from me, best case scenario is he scores 40+ 2-3 times IMO. It's hard to do and there will likely be some decline as a player here in 3-4 years or so.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I don't see how letting a legit 1st line goal scoring winger walk for nothing helps build towards long term success.

You need to retain your good players to reach long term success.

Then why did they trade ROR? A better player at a more important position, on a better contract.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Then why did they trade ROR? A better player at a more important position, on a better contract.
Botterill obviously didn't like ROR's end of season comments and moved him to set an example. This isn't rocket science as to why ROR was traded. Was it a bad trade? Yes.
It was widely reported Montreal was very interested, and while we may never know what Montreal was offering it should be obvious Botterill wasn't going to move him within the division without over-payment.

9 mil for 8 yrs for Skinner isn't over-payment given his figure skating acumen, speed, stick handling ability and sniping skills should keep him a viable 35 to 50 goal threat well in to his 30's given Eichel as his center and barring injury.
Which is what Eichel needs, a sniping winger.

Reactions: Slyfox

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Botterill obviously didn't like ROR's end of season comments and moved him to set an example. This isn't rocket science as to why ROR was traded. Was it a bad trade? Yes.
It was widely reported Montreal was very interested, and while we may never know what Montreal was offering it should be obvious Botterill wasn't going to move him within the division without over-payment.

9 mil for 8 yrs for Skinner isn't over-payment given his figure skating acumen, speed, stick handling ability and sniping skills should keep him a viable 35 to 50 goal threat well in to his 30's given Eichel as his center and barring injury.
Which is what Eichel needs, a sniping winger.

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Your focusing to much on Skinner alone without taking in to consideration he's playing with one of the Premier young playmaking centers in the league in Eichel.
After watching how many missed opportunities from Eichel's feeds these past 3 seasons 50 is within range to be sure, but, to each his own opinion I guess.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Your focusing to much on Skinner alone without taking in to consideration he's playing with one of the Premier young playmaking centers in the league in Eichel.
After watching how many missed opportunities from Eichel's feeds these past 3 seasons 50 is within range to be sure, but, to each his own opinion I guess.

There have been ten 50 goal seasons in the NHL over the past 10 years combined. Forgive me if I don't think a 27 year old, who has scored 40+ one time ever in nine years, and is not an elite player doesn't have a real chance at 50 no matter who he's playing with.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
There have been ten 50 goal seasons in the NHL over the past 10 years combined. Forgive me if I don't think a 27 year old, who has scored 40+ one time ever in nine years, and is not an elite player doesn't have a real chance at 50 no matter who he's playing with.

He is, however, an elite even strength goal scorer. I don't know if he will hit 50, but he definitely has a chance at it.

Reactions: 1point21Gigawatts

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Year 1 (27): 35-40
Year 2 (28): 35-40
Year 3 (29): 35-40
Year 4 (30): 30-35
Year 5 (31): 25-30
Year 6 (32): 25-30
Year 7 (33): 20-30
Year 8 (34): 20-25

I'll take 225 - 270 goals over 8 years for 9MM

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
This contract stinks like Okposo. Remember when he put up 64 points and everyone went “OMG 6 million/ year!”. Well that was only 8.22% of the cap. Skinner gets 11.32% for 63 points. Both had centers drag them to those point totals.

All that cash just to hope to be competing for 8th spot in the conference instead of being bottom 4 in the conference. I think I’m being generous here. If the Sabers were on the cusp of being a playoff team this year with a young core, finished in 9th place even I might get this.

This is just typical Sabers. Different GM same crap. They try to draft and develop for a few years, they get bored and try to over pay a FA to force themselves to be good before the team is ready.

I know Sabers fans...IF Eichel gets better, IF Dahlin takes the huge step forward we hope he does because draft position, IF Middlestat become what we wish he will be, IF Montour is a 2nd pairing savior, IF Reinhart can pull of another career high in points, IF we get first half Hutton....IF, IF, IF, IF.

That’s a lot of ifs just to reach the playoff line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad