Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Jeff Skinner signs extension (8 years, $9M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
ROR also didn't have an extensive concussion history and is also a useful player even when not on the scoreboard. He's also a centerman, and an effective one at that, on 200ft. O'Reilly at 10.28% of the cap or Skinner at 10.85%? I take ROR anytime. I'm curious to see if Skinner can keep up that kind of pace as far as goalscoring goes. But if BUF fans are happy, then great, Skinner is certainly a happy man after signing such a contract.

Skinner has barely missed any games the last 5 years.

The ROR 200 ft never showed up in Buffalo.

ROR had issues in locker room in Colorado and also Buffalo. Skinner has zero issues in the locker room, is actually quite beloved.

Centerman or winger doesn't matter for goal scorers. If they put the puck in the net, that's all that matters. Skinner ES goal scoring ability is an elite level and that is something that is so hard to find in today's NHL. His agent knew that.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If you use Skinner's last contract as a comparable to Skinner's current contract, you basically end up with a slightly better producing player now than he was after his ELC, but taking a UFA price bump, and it all aligns more or less with his previous and current production, tbh.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Probably going to need to score 40+ goals for the next 5 or so years to make it worth it. Not impossible with Eichel entering his prime and not going anywhere.

Odds of that happening are slim to none.

How many players in the league have ever scored 40+ five seasons in a row? Even Ovechkin only has a single five year stretch in his career when he's potted 40+ each year.....and he's the best goal scorer of this generation.

Reactions: TimeZone

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
This feels like it will be similar to the Perry contract, with the exception of Skinner not being close to the peak ability of Perry.

Reactions: TimeZone

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
When ROR signed his contract with the Sabres it was 10.28% of the cap.

Skinner's deal is 10.85% of the cap.

When ROR signed that deal he was a 60 point player who never put up anywhere near 40 goals.

ROR was a center. Even if Skinner and ROR were hypothetically the same exact caliber of player........centers are simply more valuable than wingers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Odds of that happening are slim to none.

How many players in the league have ever scored 40+ five seasons in a row? Even Ovechkin only has a single five year stretch in his career when he's potted 40+ each year.....and he's the best goal scorer of this generation.

Yeah, maybe should've said 35+ or something. But if Eichel is what Buffalo fans hope, then riding shotgun to him should be pretty fruitful.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Yeah, maybe should've said 35+ or something. But if Eichel is what Buffalo fans hope, then riding shotgun to him should be pretty fruitful.

Yeah, 30-35 is probably a reasonable expectation with a 40 goal season (or two) thrown in there. Probably a season under 30 as well, just because that's how the cookie crumbles sometime in any given year.

But 30-35 would be a reasonable expectation on a yearly basis for Skinner from me.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, 30-35 is probably a reasonable expectation with a 40 goal season (or two) thrown in there. Probably a season under 30 as well, just because that's how the cookie crumbles sometime in any given year.

But 30-35 would be a reasonable expectation on a yearly basis for Skinner from me.

Probably fair, if he stays health, which he has for the past 5 years. He averages 30G/82 games for his entire career, even with some down seasons.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
How the F does Buffalo trade a player like ROR for spare parts but then hand out a contract like this to a 63 point player.
ROR put himself at odds with Sabres management and ownership at the end of the 2017-18 season when he said very plainly and clearly that the team has become "okay with losing."

It was a direct shot at the coaching staff and an insult to the owners. Even if that were completely true, you don't say that in public but you take it up with your teammates and management in private instead.

I think the owner had enough of him, and I would have shipped his sorry ass out of town too.

That's how you trade ROR for a bag of spare parts.

The player had not exactly enhanced his value.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
There's no way that this is a "good deal" for Buffalo. Maybe it's a necessary overpayment. But good deal?

Skinner is a great goal scorer, but this contract brings him to age 35. People keep stating Ovechkin is long overdue for a major fall off in his play, and Ovechkin, who is arguably the best goal scorer of all time, is only 33. The Sabres could quite easily find themselves in a position where they are paying a regressed Skinner who is putting up 25 goals and 45 points, 9 million.
It's a good deal for Buffalo because there is no one on the market that could have filled his role on that team for a similar cost.

When you see the other free agent signings it's not out of line -- they're all high -- which means it's 2019 market-value.

Cap inflation will also offset diminishing abilities as years go by.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
It's a good deal for Buffalo because there is no one on the market that could have filled his role on that team for a similar cost.

When you see the other free agent signings it's not out of line -- they're all high -- which means it's 2019 market-value.

Cap inflation will also offset diminishing abilities as years go by.

What other free agent signing are in line with this one? Cap inflation will not offset a 9 million salary in 5 years. It's big.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
ROR put himself at odds with Sabres management and ownership at the end of the 2017-18 season when he said very plainly and clearly that the team has become "okay with losing."

It was a direct shot at the coaching staff and an insult to the owners. Even if that were completely true, you don't say that in public but you take it up with your teammates and management in private instead.

I think the owner had enough of him, and I would have shipped his sorry ass out of town too.

That's how you trade ROR for a bag of spare parts.

The player had not exactly enhanced his value.

If I were the owner, I'd want more players that weren't happy with a DFL finish to the season.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. So you will pay a lot of taxes to live in Canada. Although, I suppose, since you are getting paid in USD, the cost of living might be lower in cities not named Vancouver or Toronto.

Florida may be the place to be. As long as you're outside of certain areas in Miami, it's relatively cheap, and taxes are a lot lower.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
ROR made himself part of the problem, not the solution.

No, the rookie GM made the team worse and hired a bad head coach.

The team then cratered to a DFL finish.

And ROR spoke the truth about what happened throughout the season.

If I were the owner, I would go to the GM and ask him how he would solve the issues that led to the team getting worse and I wouldn't have allowed shipping out the team's 2nd best forward for nothing that would help the team in 2018-19 to be a part of the plan.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
What other free agent signing are in line with this one? Cap inflation will not offset a 9 million salary in 5 years. It's big.

Anders Lee's next contract will be the most comparable player that will sign a UFA deal this off season.

The tough part with Skinner is finding a comparable player that hit UFA at 27yo.

Add in that the Sabres HAD to re-sign him and that is why Botterill had to overpay him.

If Skinner walked as a UFA, Botterill might not have been the GM much longer.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
No, the rookie GM made the team worse and hired a bad head coach.

The team then cratered to a DFL finish.

And ROR spoke the truth about what happened throughout the season.

If I were the owner, I would go to the GM and ask him how he would solve the issues that led to the team getting worse and I wouldn't have allowed shipping out the team's 2nd best forward for nothing that would help the team in 2018-19 to be a part of the plan.

I don't think any competent manager could tolerate a veteran player effectively saying "This team is a bunch of losers."

He would have to say, "Fine. If that's how you feel then GTFO. Don't come back to this room, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out."

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I don't think any competent manager could tolerate a veteran player effectively saying "This team is a bunch of losers."

He would have to say, "Fine. If that's how you feel then GTFO. Don't come back to this room, and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out."
"We're stuck in this mindset of just being OK with losing"

At least use the exact quote instead of making things up. Such a Buffalo thing to do to blame the player instead of the real issues at hand.

Sabres' Ryan O'Reilly says he lost love of game, lacked mental toughness

Re-read it. That isn't a ROR problem, thats a Sabres problem and we obviously know what is different now with ROR gone.

Reactions: Isaac Nootin

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Anders Lee's next contract will be the most comparable player that will sign a UFA deal this off season.

The tough part with Skinner is finding a comparable player that hit UFA at 27yo.

Add in that the Sabres HAD to re-sign him and that is why Botterill had to overpay him.

If Skinner walked as a UFA, Botterill might not have been the GM much longer.
So he saved his own job rather and tried the keep the team afloat for the immediate future rather than plan for realistic long term success? Cool, have fun with another bottom 10 finish Buffalo!

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
So he saved his own job rather and tried the keep the team afloat for the immediate future rather than plan for realistic long term success? Cool, have fun with another bottom 10 finish Buffalo!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad