Confirmed with Link: [BUF/FLA] Dmitri Kulikov, #33 for Mark Pysyk, #38, #89

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
First rule of talk radio...at least one person on the show must voice a strong dissenting opinion of the topic at hand. It sparks conversation, which gets people to call in, which creates content. If Buffalo traded a 2nd round pick for John Tavares, Schopp or Bulldog would find something to nitpick about the deal and lament about what that second round pick could have been, etc.

If you ever listen to Rover's Morning Glory, they have this down to a science. No matter what the topic is, either Dieter or Duji is on the opposite side of the issue from everyone else. It's just the way radio talk works. If everyone agrees, the conversation dies quickly.

The problem is that they don't have a single voice saying that Kulikov might actually be better than Pysyk. They all took Matt Coller's analyses as gospel. It's not just for reaction, they legitimately think everyone else is stupid.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
With UFA's in the expansion draft, if Kulikov knows he wants to come back to Buffalo, can't they get a contract done in principle and then just sign it after the expansion draft on June 20th but before July 1st? For Las Vegas, they wouldn't want to take a UFA because there's no guarantee he signs with Vegas, right? And even if Vegas did pick him, he could just sign with Buffalo anyway after July 1st?

Kowrect sir! There is no reason to sign Kulikov early because as long as he's a pending UFA LV has no reason to select him.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
The problem is that they don't have a single voice saying that Kulikov might actually be better than Pysyk. They all took Matt Coller's analyses as gospel. It's not just for reaction, they legitimately think everyone else is stupid.

Funny, they were all in agreement on Evander Kane too. When that trade was going down, it sounded like they were all going to make out with each other.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
With UFA's in the expansion draft, if Kulikov knows he wants to come back to Buffalo, can't they get a contract done in principle and then just sign it after the expansion draft on June 20th but before July 1st? For Las Vegas, they wouldn't want to take a UFA because there's no guarantee he signs with Vegas, right? And even if Vegas did pick him, he could just sign with Buffalo anyway after July 1st?

After an expansion team selects someone, you can't trade him back to his team. But is there anything that says a player can't sign as a UFA with his previous team?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I bet everything in the world they are smart enough to do it at the time it makes so much more sense that it literally allows you to keep another very good player.

I just...this isn't hard.

There is zero reason to do it before the expansion draft. None. Zilch. Zip. Nada. You do it before and Larsson or McCabe is gone for nothing. You wait until after and you keep everyone of worth. I'd question their intelligence if they didn't understand this.
You can't think of a single reason to re-sign a pending ufa a year before his contract is up instead of a week? Really? Not a single reason?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I don't see why any UFA can't sign with anyone after the expansion draft.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

I think its probably reasonable to assume that the NHL won't allow UFA's to sign in the period between the expansion draft and July 1st for this reason. I'd bet all my vCash on this being the case.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think its probably reasonable to assume that the NHL won't allow UFA's to sign in the period between the expansion draft and July 1st for this reason. I'd bet all my vCash on this being the case.

I would further imagine there will be a buyout window immediately after the expansion draft. Seems like an opportune time to do so.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY

I don't see good reason for the NHL to do this.

- Each team already has to expose a certain amount of experience and $
- If a player is that close to UFA, that's extremely risky for the team to assume they can put off the signing until less than 10 days before UFA
- If the player really is willing to hold off on signing a deal they are comfortable with until after the expansion draft, then it seems likely they'd be comfortable enough to hold off until July 1st too.

So why put an artificial black-out in place? Let this be another tool for teams to try to protect players. Teams using that "loop hole" are taking a big risk by doing it anyway. This expansion draft is already more hurtful to teams than any previous expansion draft.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

- If a player is that close to UFA, that's extremely risky for the team to assume they can put off the signing until less than 10 days before UFA
- If the player really is willing to hold off on signing a deal they are comfortable with until after the expansion draft, then it seems likely they'd be comfortable enough to hold off until July 1st too.

So why put an artificial black-out in place? Let this be another tool for teams to try to protect players. Teams using that "loop hole" are taking a big risk by doing it anyway. This expansion draft is already more hurtful to teams than any previous expansion draft.

I don't think the league (which is to say the owners, really) wants other tools for teams to try to protect more players, or they'd just let teams protect more players. And I don't expect there'd be many examples of teams intentionally waiting to sign their UFA's to use the loop hole. But I think there might be a few situations where a pending UFA isn't traded or extended by the trade deadline but still may sign with their existing team after the season before UFA. Or pending UFA's like goligoski or yandle who have their rights traded for and then sign before UFA. I think in those situations teams would absolutely work the dates to their advantage, and that's something I can't see the league wanting to happen or accepting.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

I thought the proposed concepts of % of Cap salary exposed, or a fixed dollar amount, etc., were nixed? (or at least have not yet been adopted)

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I thought the proposed concepts of % of Cap salary exposed, or a fixed dollar amount, etc., were nixed? (or at least have not yet been adopted)

You're right. The only rules about money are related to the total cap hit of all players Las Vegas picks (or the top 23 I assume)

Jeremy2020

Dec 27, 2005
Austin, TX
Well, I was pretty indifferent about this deal initially. In hindsight, it looks a helluva lot better now looking at what the cost of top 4 defense-men seems to be...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Well, I was pretty indifferent about this deal initially. In hindsight, it looks a helluva lot better now looking at what the cost of top 4 defense-men seems to be...

To me, its more of a "neutral" move as I see Pysyk and Kulikov somewhat similarly (middle pair d-men), so talent wise, I don't think we improved our defense. However, it did correct the "L/R" disparity.

I'd still like to add another LHD for Risto, however.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
To me, its more of a "neutral" move as I see Pysyk and Kulikov somewhat similarly (middle pair d-men), so talent wise, I don't think we improved our defense. However, it did correct the "L/R" disparity.

I'd still like to add another LHD for Risto, however.

Given yesterday, the price for that might be Reinhart or 4 1sts abs stupid money that Anaheim can't match in an overpayment on a Lindholm OS.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
I consider Asplund the main piece in this trade. If he gets time to mature offensively in Sweden we can have a really good 2#, however, the kind of responsible player that Asplund is always tends to be rushed over to the NHL (ie Wild Bill Karlsson) before they get to carry a team in the SHL.
Saw him live three times last season.

I'd say his floor is a really useful 3C that can establish pressure and make stuff happen through pure tenacity. Ceiling? Most of Drurys' playing career was before my time, but I would say there are some similiarities when it comes to the tools/playstyle. Don't know if anyone else agrees though.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
I consider Asplund the main piece in this trade. If he gets time to mature offensively in Sweden we can have a really good 2#, however, the kind of responsible player that Asplund is always tends to be rushed over to the NHL (ie Wild Bill Karlsson) before they get to carry a team in the SHL.
Saw him live three times last season.

I'd say his floor is a really useful 3C that can establish pressure and make stuff happen through pure tenacity. Ceiling? Most of Drurys' playing career was before my time, but I would say there are some similiarities when it comes to the tools/playstyle. Don't know if anyone else agrees though.

TM specifically stated that this was a Kulikov for Pysyk deal all along, and he tossed in the pick swap the morning of the 2nd round after Asplund was available at 33.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad