Confirmed with Link: [BUF/FLA] Dmitri Kulikov, #33 for Mark Pysyk, #38, #89

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I wonder if getting Casey Nelson made trading Pysyk a bit easier. I think he slides into the Pysyk role and QB's the second PP as well.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I wonder if getting Casey Nelson made trading Pysyk a bit easier. I think he slides into the Pysyk role and QB's the second PP as well.

It definitely makes it easier, but anytime you can deal your third pairing RHD for a second pairing LHD it's an easy decision regardless. Buffalo had more RHD's than they knew what to do with, and Cody Franson carries negative value at this point. Franson and Nelson will battle for the right side of the third pairing this year, Pysyk just didn't take enough steps forward to secure a place in the lineup.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I don't think he's more suitable for the top four than Gorges AT THIS TIME, nor do I think he had a better season than Gorges did last year, either.

Why do I think the USA WC trip and being named to the all-tournament team are clouding the view of what actually happened with McCabe last year?

He wasn't bad by any means. He had a decent year, especially when you consider where he came from and how long it usually takes players to settle in when they take that route and play that position on the ice.

He is a part of my future blueline; he has a lot of work to do, still...

As for Gorges, I agree. Again... all year, you could see that Gorges was hanging on by a thread with regards to his role. He did it, he didn't break, he played pretty well, but you can't expect that to happen again. We got lucky. Kulikov eating into those minutes in ANY fashion, alleviating the "imminent demise" (for lack of a nicer term), is a bonus for our D corps.

I didn't watch the WC or anything other than his time with the Sabres last year. Gorges just looked old and slow. McCabe sure had his mistakes, which was to be expected, but I feel like he's a younger version of, well, Gorges. He can skate better, but yes, he does have a ways to go. Ideally, McCabe stays in the bottom 6, but if we don't bring anyone else in, he's probably still in the bottom 6, and Gorges is getting too many minutes again.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I didn't watch the WC or anything other than his time with the Sabres last year. Gorges just looked old and slow. McCabe sure had his mistakes, which was to be expected, but I feel like he's a younger version of, well, Gorges. He can skate better, but yes, he does have a ways to go. Ideally, McCabe stays in the bottom 6, but if we don't bring anyone else in, he's probably still in the bottom 6, and Gorges is getting too many minutes again.

Inserting a top-four LH defenseman reduces Gorges' role by default. That Kulikov can be trusted to kill penalties, protect a lead, and be physical lends even more credence to the idea of this acquisition helping in more ways than one.

I'm fine with

Kulikov - Risto
Gorges/McCabe - Bogo
McCabe/Gorges - Franson

significantly more comfortable than last year's version with one move. If McCabe plays well enough to handle the role, great. If not, we have Gorges.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
By now they should know Tim Murray isn't worried about winning trades but rather building a hockey team...

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
My favorite thing today was someone putting up Pysyk's warrior chart against Coliacovo's. It's good for a chuckle

The afternoon host on the NHL Sirius station also liked the trade for Buffalo and seconded the Florida guy on wgr about him coming into his own last year.

Who knows. I liked Pysyk but not as the third pair anyway.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Im not even sure why there is a discussion on this? Its probably my favorite Murray trade made in terms of value.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Mark Pysyk surprised by trade from Sabres to Panthers

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/mark-pysyk-surprised-trade-sabres-panthers/#more

Pysyk1.jpg

The Wizz

Nov 3, 2015
Trade seems to work out for both teams. We have a glut of RHD with top 4 potential, so moving Psysk isn't a killer. Nelson or Guhle are going to step into Bogo's role soon if he is taken in the expansion draft, and Kulikov is a stay at home bruiser that Murray seems to cover.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Right or wrong, Pysyk was slotted as the 3rd pairing RHD on this team.

The opportunity arises to trade a 3rd pairing RHD for a guy that will be a 1st pairing LHD on your team, you have to take it.

Personally, I would rather have Pysyk as the 2nd pairing RHD and moved out Bogosian. But, that wasn't going to happen given the contract situations with Pysyk and Bogosian.

This deal has a solid chance of working out well for the Sabres.

Especially if you believe that Pysyk was going to get selected in the expansion draft.

If Kulikov turns out to be a solid partner for Risto, this deal is a home run for Murray.

I like that he took the swing even if I really liked Pysyk.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
WGR continues to be off their rocker on this. "Anyone that trades with Florida will lose the trade" - Mike Schoop

I listened to some from Saturday with Coller, and today with Simon, White and Coller was there as well... It's amazing how "8th overall for Fowler might be a bit steep, but that's the price you pay for good puck moving defensemen..." on Friday turns into "oh man, why give up PYSYK for... Kulikov". Seriously?

Look at their hero charts (I don't know how to post them here, but Kulikov and Fowler are pretty similar with Fowler being a bit better playmaker, while Kulikov has better possession numbers.

Yet with Kulikov for Pysyk, Pysyk is somehow this amazing player, that the organization never utilized, etc etc...

I'm sorry, and I know it took more than long enough with the forwards, but Bylsma eventually tried out almost every combo. On defense, it was pretty quick that they started giving Ristolainen 25-30 min per night. Now by season's end he was obviously exhausted (also carrying around Gorges), but if Pysyk was such a difference maker, I assume, at some point, he would've made a more significant difference and earned more time... I just didn't see it. Part of it might have been his mystery injury/illness from the end of Nolan's term, or lack of confidence in the organization, I'm not sure. And maybe he gets that back in Florida and becomes a great player, but to me, at best, he was going to be a passenger. The guy who is your 4th best defenseman and rides shotgun on your 2nd pair, not doing anything terrible, but not taking any risk leads to less ability for any big plays.

I was just really disappointed with their take on it, I'm usually more favorable of them than most here, and was just really baffled with their take.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
My favorite today on WGR was Jeremy White adamantly declaring there is no way they protect Kulikov. Bonkers to me to be so certain. If they really like him, they will re-sign and protect, guarantee.

ende

Dec 12, 2005
Trade seems to work out for both teams. We have a glut of RHD with top 4 potential, so moving Psysk isn't a killer. Nelson or Guhle are going to step into Bogo's role soon if he is taken in the expansion draft, and Kulikov is a stay at home bruiser that Murray seems to cover.

Bogo won't be exposed in the expansion draft.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
My favorite today on WGR was Jeremy White adamantly declaring there is no way they protect Kulikov. Bonkers to me to be so certain. If they really like him, they will re-sign and protect, guarantee.

I bet everything in the world they are smart enough to do it at the time it makes so much more sense that it literally allows you to keep another very good player.

I just...this isn't hard.

There is zero reason to do it before the expansion draft. None. Zilch. Zip. Nada. You do it before and Larsson or McCabe is gone for nothing. You wait until after and you keep everyone of worth. I'd question their intelligence if they didn't understand this.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
First rule of talk radio...at least one person on the show must voice a strong dissenting opinion of the topic at hand. It sparks conversation, which gets people to call in, which creates content. If Buffalo traded a 2nd round pick for John Tavares, Schopp or Bulldog would find something to nitpick about the deal and lament about what that second round pick could have been, etc.

If you ever listen to Rover's Morning Glory, they have this down to a science. No matter what the topic is, either Dieter or Duji is on the opposite side of the issue from everyone else. It's just the way radio talk works. If everyone agrees, the conversation dies quickly.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
First rule of talk radio...at least one person on the show must voice a strong dissenting opinion of the topic at hand. It sparks conversation, which gets people to call in, which creates content.
Exactly. And they know their analytical Pysyk love has drawn attention on a relatively insignificant trade, so they're rolling with it.

Clock

May 13, 2006
First rule of talk radio...at least one person on the show must voice a strong dissenting opinion of the topic at hand. It sparks conversation, which gets people to call in, which creates content. If Buffalo traded a 2nd round pick for John Tavares, Schopp or Bulldog would find something to nitpick about the deal and lament about what that second round pick could have been, etc.

Yeah, so we've got now, what? Dmitri Kulikov. I mean, OK, but the point was what? Was it for the defense? Was it a hockey move? How... how should I feel about this?

We'll ask Sal at four. Eight oh three oh five fifty.

aceface33

Feb 10, 2006
Herkimer, NY
With UFA's in the expansion draft, if Kulikov knows he wants to come back to Buffalo, can't they get a contract done in principle and then just sign it after the expansion draft on June 20th but before July 1st? For Las Vegas, they wouldn't want to take a UFA because there's no guarantee he signs with Vegas, right? And even if Vegas did pick him, he could just sign with Buffalo anyway after July 1st?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad