Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Cody Eakin signs with the Sabres (2 years, $2.25M AAV)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Ummmm....whats this Eakin trashing????
Since when Eakin became trash???

Unreal shite for almost 4 pages

Only 29 years old, with 2 250 000 cap hit.
2019 (just over a year ago), was one of the key players for Vegas
Was strong for the Jets this season, for his short stint there.

Cody Eaking is really good versatile forward, who can play either
center position, or both wing positions.

Perfect 3rd line player for the Sabres and usable for both PK & PP.

Sabres possible top 9 :

Eichel
Staal
Eaking

Gotta say...surprisingly good.

You add UPL for the Starting Goalie position
(trust me, dude is ready, this season in the Sm-Liiga has proven that)

They added interesting special teams player with Rieder,
who also can play both PK & PP

Eaking, Rieder as your 1st PK forward duo...wow.

You have really good 3 young wingers in
Olofson, Thompson and Asplund

I have questioned Jeff Skinner this past year or so
but it seems that he is due for another big season,
he has one of those once in a while :)

Girgensons, Lazar even Okposo...all bring
all kinds of stuff to the ice, grit, spit, and some goals too.

Looking at that D.....Dahlin, Jokiharju, Ristolainen
McCabe, Montour...

Yesterday i almost created a thread about Buffalo Sabres
how they will be the biggest riser for the next season
(wins & points), now with this Eakin addition...
even further more.

I think the Sabres gonna surprise many next season
#playoffsteam

Reactions: MtlsabresFAN

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Cody Eaking is really good versatile forward, who can play either
center position, or both wing positions.
I believe this, and think he's a good add. I think you're overselling him a bit because he's probably not going to get the opportunities he did with his Vegas employment.
I think most of the negative reaction is from fans mad that they let Larsson walk for less, which is admittedly curious.

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
I like Eakin. Adding a pesky C/W is usually not a terrible thing. You just have to wonder why they let Larsson walk to target Eakin with more money, because that's what it looks like they did.

A lot of people are scratching their heads on Buffalos offseason so far, I actually think I’m getting what GMKA is doing. He’s putting an emphasis on team chemistry, character and team fit, and need over pure skill and flash. Under Botterill and Murray, this was not always the case. For example, when Botterill acquires Montour, hires Kreuger, and acquires Miller from Vegas, you have to wonder if Botts and Kreuger were ever on the same page on that given how both were used, and how both are sorely miscast. Ideally that would have been a great group for Housely, but too late.

We saw it at the draft with Quinn over Rossi and Perfetti, Quinn was a great fit and fills an organizational need and can be a player with his two way smarts that he could be a player who is effective in any situation, and the Sabres need more of that.

Then there Dom Kahun...again fit and organizational needs. My guess is that the Sabres are planning on using Cozens as a top six RW along side Eric Staal to give him every shot to show what he can do. He also has size the team needs and has the potential to play in any situation. If that is the case, where does Kahun fit? He doesn’t kill penalties, doesn’t play on the power play, and isn’t good defensively, and the Sabres have a need for more penalty killers, special teamers, and two way players. Is it worth it to pay a guy more than what you’re willing to not play in your top six and not kill penalties or play on the power play?

Then why the f*** did Girgensons get re-signed and a raise? My theory on this is simply the Sabres view their top 6 as: Staal, Eichel, Skinner, Olafsson, Reinhart, and possibly Cozens. One of their bottom 6 lines would have been Okposo-Larsson-Girgensons and the with one more line to fill.

My theory here is I believe they wanted Larsson AND Girgensons back, but I don’t believe Larsson and Girgensons weren’t sure about returning, and The team likely knew Larsson was likely to depart. To keep some continuity and two-thirds of that line together, they likely overpaid Girgensons to entice him to re-sign in Buffalo.

As far as Eakin is concerned, I think it’s good cheap signing, but it’s a gamble. What you’re gambling on is that Eakin can regain form from 2 or 3 years ago where he can at least get you 35-40 pts on the third line, and can hopefully fill in on the second line if there’s a rash of injuries down the middle as well as help the pk, which is a dire need for Buffalo, which is why Reider was also picked up.

I think the Sabres will attempt to build a third line around Eakin, and I’m expecting a trade for a defenseman for a third line forward of some type.

Reactions: MtlsabresFAN

Dickfoligno

Apr 5, 2020
I believe this, and think he's a good add. I think you're overselling him a bit because he's probably not going to get the opportunities he did with his Vegas employment.
I think most of the negative reaction is from fans mad that they let Larsson walk for less, which is admittedly curious.

I don’t believe the Sabres let him walk, I strongly believe they wanted him but he was set on departing. Either way, he is not a 3C. He was on pace for 24 points last season. You need to get a little more out of that spot. he’s a perfect elite 4C though.

honestly, Buffalo is not a free agent destination. The value of Buffalo as a destination is at an all time low right now. which Eakin makes sense because it’s a gamble. A decent two-way F who can help their pk....it’s a gamble because for Eakin, he will get plenty of chances in Buffalo to revitalize his career and rebound back into 40 pt form as a 3C and if it works, he’s a better option than Larsson for 3C if it’s Eakin from two-three years ago

They likely wanted to keep Larsson but he wanted to leave. That’s my guess, so they overpaid for Girgensens to keep two thirds of the log line available

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Eakin is a good 3C. He commits, he's a 200 ft. player, he has some offensive skill. Good signing, IMHO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad