Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Cody Eakin signs with the Sabres (2 years, $2.25M AAV)

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Not a horrible deal, but don't think Buffalo gets anywhere. Just a Wayne Simmonds replacement and good for the bottom-six.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Has Eakin really fallen off that much? He was a very solid 3c in Dallas, just that Faksa made him expendable in the expansion draft (also Lindy Ruff liked playing him as a 1c sometimes, ugh).
He didn't have a great season, but I think he's still a decent player. I think it's just that Buffalo fans are asking why they walked away from Larsson at less money. If they added Eakin and had kept Larsson, maybe they'd be more cheery, I don't know.
I think you can expect 10-15 goals from Eakin with some of the same gritty play. Not quite as well suited as a purely shut down guy. Still a good guy to have around.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm surprised people don't like this it's not perfect, he's not a #2 center but he can be a #3 and they didn't have that either.

this won't make them anywhere near a playoff team but they are better at center today than they were yesterday
He cannot be a #3. He’s terrible in every conceivable way.

Reactions: hn777

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It doesn’t matter who buffalo signs. The fans are so toxic on here towards the team they will hate it.

Eakin is better than whatever AHL center buffalo had at 3c/4c the past 5 years.
The Log Line had positive metrics on a team with a goalie who needed a seeing eye dog.

Eakins managed to have negative metrics on a Vegas team where almost everyone had positive metrics.

Reactions: hn777

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Larsson had plus metrics across the board the last few years starting 2/3-3/4 of his shifts in the defensive zone against quality opponents. Eakin has...absolutely nothing going for him aside from an abnormally high sh% in 18-19.

Even if Eakin manages to bounce back and put up 35 points of offense, he's still a net negative. Larsson is a net positive even if he only puts up 15-20 points.

Reactions: sabremike

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I mean....if Eakin puts up 35 points and larsson only puts up 15.....and they both kill penalties and have important defensive assignments..... it’d be pretty obvious who’s better lol

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
I don't like it personally but I'm going to try and rationalise it. I'm guessing they tried for Turris, possibly Wennberg and Haula, but ended up with Eakin. Really doubt he was top of the list. Overpaying declining players is the hole we dig ourselves into the last decade.

Statistically Lazar 700k gets to 15-20 pt Larsson production at half the money. They're gambling on Eakin doing 30+ on but don't think it's likely.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I mean....if Eakin puts up 35 points and larsson only puts up 15.....and they both kill penalties and have important defensive assignments..... it’d be pretty obvious who’s better lol

It’s a wait and see on what role he plays and what all buffalo does in moves.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
The Log Line had positive metrics on a team with a goalie who needed a seeing eye dog.

Eakins managed to have negative metrics on a Vegas team where almost everyone had positive metrics.
Yes because 1 season means Larson is the better player lawlrus

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
This blows...Time to fold the franchise or start fielding offers for Jack.....I've had enough....I'm ready to root for Jack's new team.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Not if the 35-point guy gets absolutely steamrolled in those defensive assignments while the 15-point guy outchances and outscores the opponent. Larsson barely needs to produce any offense to be a net positive because he's so good at limiting scoring chances against. Eakin's still gonna be a net negative even if he produces more, because 100% guarantee he cannot handle "important defensive assignments" since, historically, he can't even win the possession metric battle in far easier minutes than Larsson played for us.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
He's pretty washed up at this point.
Hope he does well though - it was cool to bring him home to Winnipeg but I'm not cut up about him leaving

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad