Confirmed Signing with Link: [BUF] Cody Eakin signs with the Sabres (2 years, $2.25M AAV)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm surprised people don't like this it's not perfect, he's not a #2 center but he can be a #3 and they didn't have that either.

this won't make them anywhere near a playoff team but they are better at center today than they were yesterday

We had a better 3/4C last year who liked Buffalo and who just signed elsewhere for 2 x $1.4M. That's why. Because we could've spent the same money on a much, much better checking line center.

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Players like Eakin should be playing on 1 year deals for the league minimum...

If your scouting staff and management team can't find guys for the league minimum to replicate what Eakin does on the ice, both the scouting staff and management team should be replaced

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777 and seagull

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I like Eakin. Adding a pesky C/W is usually not a terrible thing. You just have to wonder why they let Larsson walk to target Eakin with more money, because that's what it looks like they did.

Reactions: qqaz and seagull

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Replacing Larsson as 4th line center I reckon.
money and term reflect Buffalo's position as a bottom team. Not overly concerned however, a shake up in the bottom 2 lines was needed. In case many have forgotten, Buffalo didn't have much in contributions on he score sheet past their 1st line.

I expect some line 3 type signing(s) and a trade or 2 to attempt to move the team in the right direction.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
2.5 million for a 4th line C is not a good use of cap space...

It’s also not good use of cap space for a 3C when the players I wanted (Turris @ 1.65 and Wennberg @ 2.35 and McCann @ whatever he signed for) were the same price or cheaper and had the chance to move up a lineup.

Trust me, I’m getting shit on on the HFSabres board for voicing my displeasure with this off-season

Reactions: hn777

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Unless he has a bit of resurgence, you guys won’t be a fan of this.

Even if he does, we're still not gonna like it. Let's say he bounces back, OK, he scores, what? Maybe 10 more points than Larsson over an 82 game season? But how many more GA does he cost us? These idiots just paid more money to make our only effective non-Eichel line worse.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Even if he does, we're still not gonna like it. Let's say he bounces back, OK, he scores, what? Maybe 10 more points than Larsson over an 82 game season? But how many more GA does he cost us? These idiots just paid more money to make our only effective non-Eichel line worse.

Yeh that’s an ugly contract Regardless.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Eakin could be a decent #3 c in the right setting. He wasn't a fit in Wpg as Maurice depends on exceptional skill to make things work.

Archgoat

Sep 29, 2011
Has Eakin really fallen off that much? He was a very solid 3c in Dallas, just that Faksa made him expendable in the expansion draft (also Lindy Ruff liked playing him as a 1c sometimes, ugh).

Rivet52

Oct 10, 2008
Buffalo, NY
I'd like to know whether Larsson was open to returning or not. It's not all the choice of the teams when the players are able to pick their own destination. I liked him but his ceiling really is a fourth-line center. He's a good one but Buffalo just re-signed Lazar and likely is looking for him to take that spot over after a season in which he was called up from the minors and played well enough to earn an NHL job next year and a new, multi-year contract. Lazar played well last year and came cheaper than Larsson so I have no issue with letting Larry walk if I'm Buffalo.

As for Eakin, I think the Sabres intend on him centering the third line. Buffalo has had huge holes at center on both the second and third lines for the better part of two years now and Adams seems to have wanted to address both with the trade for Staal and this signing. Despite a down season, I believe Eakin can hold that kind of role, as it's the one he's typically played for a majority of his career. He's only a season removed from a 22-goal, 41-point season in Vegas playing a similar role so I have no doubt that there's a chance he can still be productive there. I don't see him as Larsson's replacement. He's a better offensive player than Larsson and Lazar and can play third-line minutes effectively while contributing depth scoring that the team has lacked. The Sabres have played players like Casey Mittelstadt and Evan Rodrigues there regularly for the past few seasons, clearly out of their ideal roles. Eakin is an upgrade and the price is reasonable. Buffalo should be content with this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad