Confirmed with Link: [BUF/CHI] F Anders Bjork to CHI for Future Considerations

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Different positions. I forget the exact breakdown, but they had to protect a certain number of forwards and a certain number of D-men. They didn't really have that many forwards worth keeping though, hence Bjork. But if they didn't protect Bjork, they would have needed to protect a different forward, not Borgen.

They chose Ristolainen for one of the three D-men spots over Borgen. Which proved a good thing, given the trade return for Risto was insane and way more than what Borgen is worth.

Eh, they did him a solid by giving him a chance to get into NHL games again and maybe catch someone's eye for another contract by moving him close to home.
there are axes that still need grinding

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
there are axes that still need grinding

What's not to like about what they did for him on a personal level? This is actually close to what I was expecting for Hinostroza as well but Tuch's injury has him up and needed on the big club. If not, it would've put Hino back in his home town and support from family for his wife and their two little ones. I'm sure Hino won't mind if he plays in Buffalo down the stretch, even if he's a black ace, so he can be close to the wife and kids instead of trekking up to Rochester and going on those weekend-long bus trips for away games.

BUCKSHOT

""""""""""""""""""""""
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
What's not to like about what they did for him on a personal level? This is actually close to what I was expecting for Hinostroza as well but Tuch's injury has him up and needed on the big club. If not, it would've put Hino back in his home town and support from family for his wife and their two little ones. I'm sure Hino won't mind if he plays in Buffalo down the stretch, even if he's a black ace, so he can be close to the wife and kids instead of trekking up to Rochester and going on those weekend-long bus trips for away games.
Sorry, I should've quoted the post both of you were responding to

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Eh, they did him a solid by giving him a chance to get into NHL games again and maybe catch someone's eye for another contract by moving him close to home.
Come on, Chain. They're saving Terry a few bucks. With less than 24 hours from the deadline, the GM has found a way to trim payroll from a playoff-contending team with swaps involving two wholly unremarkable players. Terry is very proud.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Come on, Chain. They're saving Terry a few bucks. With less than 24 hours from the deadline, the GM has found a way to trim payroll from a playoff-contending team with swaps involving two wholly unremarkable players. Terry is very proud.

Would you rather they kept Bjork just because?

Reactions: Dingo44

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Would you rather they kept Bjork just because?
Of course not. But let's not pretend the move was made to "give him an opportunity to play elsewhere," or some other sanitized and laudable objective. The move was made to give Terry an opportunity for someone else to pay his salary. And that's fine because Bjork is no good. But let's call a spade a spade.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Of course not. But let's not pretend the move was made to "give him an opportunity to play elsewhere," or some other sanitized and laudable objective. The move was made to give Terry an opportunity for someone else to pay his salary. And that's fine because Bjork is no good. But let's call a spade a spade.

They could have bought him out last summer and saved $1.2M. :facepalm:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I'm sure they wish they did, in hindsight. But they were probably hopeful he could bounce back and be a decent spare. But he sucked from the hop in camp.
I usually need hindsight to make the correct observation. This wasn't one of them.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

Please give us a reason to believe any of this.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Why can't it be both? Why can't it also get a relatively non-productive vet off the AHL roster too? It's a lot of things. Thinking it's just a penny pinching move is way more jaded about it than I choose to be.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Please give us a reason to believe any of this.
Because teams get expensive, crappy players out of their organization because they don’t want to pay them to be expensive and crappy players. Not to advance the expensive and crappy player’s career. It’s fine. I’m not mad about. But there really isn’t anything else to “believe.”

Ten posts on a Sunday “debating” whether trading Bjork was anything more than a cost-cutting move. I think I’ll return to my self-imposed exile from this site.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As long as the "future considerations" doesn't include sending Bjork back, it's safe to say GMKA won this trade.

Seems like the FC's were for Carson Gicewicz on an AHL deal for the Amerks. Thankfully, Bjork's deal is up and he'll be free to go be Bjork for someone else next year.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If someone had said Bjork would help the Sabres late in the season by derailing a team they are fighting with in the standings, I'd have thought the speaker crazy. But here we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad