Confirmed with Link: BUF-ANA Montour for a non-Buf 1st and Guhle

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I feel the same. I would have rather traded those assets for a centre like Henrique.

Like the acquisition of Kane, it's going to come down to whether the assets spent could have been used in a better matter (i.e., opportunity cost). I like Montour, but we will have to wait and see how this shakes out. Now, if Botts made this move as a prelude to moving Risto for better assets than what Guhle + non-BUF 1st gets you, then that would make some sense.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Like the acquisition of Kane, it's going to come down to whether the assets spent could have been used in a better matter (i.e., opportunity cost). I like Montour, but we will have to wait and see how this shakes out. Now, if Botts made this move as a prelude to moving Risto for better assets than what Guhle + non-BUF 1st gets you, then that would make some sense.

I won't be surprised if Risto is moved for the Montour package + a cap dump.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

It's going to hurt when a 23 year old forward with multiple 60+ point seasons under his belt gets moved for a 1st + prospect at the draft. Montour looks okay, the value was fine, but I think there is going to be better options out there. Montour isn't a guy who moves the needle much for me.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
It's going to hurt when a 23 year old forward with multiple 60+ point seasons under his belt gets moved for a 1st + prospect at the draft. Montour looks okay, the value was fine, but I think there is going to be better options out there. Montour isn't a guy who moves the needle much for me.
We still have 1sts and prospects.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

If this turns into a 21st pick or something, that's a lot different than like 30th. Valuation will depends on Blues and Sharks.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
At least most of us experience this as hindsight bad. It’s worse when it’s just an instant s***show.

Reactions: Chainshot

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
2014 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com

Go to the above link to the 2014 draft. Go to full right and click on PS which will re-order the draft by the controversial Point Shares stat. From that draft Sam Reinhart is 7th and Brandon Montour is 10th. Not bad for a 55th pick. His NHL career stats are pretty solid. It was a good trade. Now we just need coaching to commit to him this year to get the most out of him so we know whether to commit long term.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
2014 NHL Entry Draft | Hockey-Reference.com

Go to the above link to the 2014 draft. Go to full right and click on PS which will re-order the draft by the controversial Point Shares stat. From that draft Sam Reinhart is 7th and Brandon Montour is 10th. Not bad for a 55th pick. His NHL career stats are pretty solid. It was a good trade. Now we just need coaching to commit to him this year to get the most out of him so we know whether to commit long term.

It was not a good trade. They spent futures on a defenseman who has poor metrics at goal generation and shot suppression. The area he accels at is zone exits and entries, but the rest of the ice he has weak impacts. They could have spent those futures elsewhere and had a better quality of forward (we hope).

We bought that Carlyle was the issue. It isn't. It's Montour.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
It was not a good trade. They spent futures on a defenseman who has poor metrics at goal generation and shot suppression. The area he accels at is zone exits and entries, but the rest of the ice he has weak impacts. They could have spent those futures elsewhere and had a better quality of forward (we hope).

We bought that Carlyle was the issue. It isn't. It's Montour.

It's worse than any of the trades Murray gets berated for... and it's not even Botterill's worst trade. lol

The more I watch him, the more I am sure that he's Jack Johnson 2.0. A guy who always looks the part, from afar, but if you focus on him... you realize he's mostly dog shit at the stuff that determines the outcomes of games. Cool zone entry/exit skills though... that's nice.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's worse than any of the trades Murray gets berated for... and it's not even Botterill's worst trade. lol

Acquiring Bogosian is right in line with this trade as poor asset management: toolsie RHD who are actually just tools. The upside right now is Montour may still have value out there. I look at Vegas and wonder what he could do with someone like McNabb as his partner -- McNabb is the takeout option in his own zone, but needs help in the transition part because he's not fleet of foot, but once he sets up in the o-zone, he is again a capable player. Montour could fill the transition/breakout hole there and solidify a pairing for Vegas.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Acquiring Bogosian is right in line with this trade as poor asset management: toolsie RHD who are actually just tools. The upside right now is Montour may still have value out there. I look at Vegas and wonder what he could do with someone like McNabb as his partner -- McNabb is the takeout option in his own zone, but needs help in the transition part because he's not fleet of foot, but once he sets up in the o-zone, he is again a capable player. Montour could fill the transition/breakout hole there and solidify a pairing for Vegas.

Montour for Tuch would be a great move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad