Confirmed with Link: BUF-ANA Montour for a non-Buf 1st and Guhle

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I’m not overly excited or against this move. I just really hope he’s a legit impact player for that cost, he doesn’t need to be a star, but he’s gotta be very good.

Reactions: Tatanka

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Right. But when the previous poster infers that they are buddies, you start to get some strange leaps of logic around chances of signing as an UFA. That's what happened with Veasey. "He's Eichels buddy - sabres are in!"

Eichel has worked out with a lot of different guys in Boston.

I doubt he is such good friends with anyone that it will have a major impact on where someone signs as a UFA.

If they say a guy gets to play on Eichel's line, that might be a factor.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Eichel has worked out with a lot of different guys in Boston.

I doubt he is such good friends with anyone that it will have a major impact on where someone signs as a UFA.

If they say a guy gets to play on Eichel's line, that might be a factor.

Right... which was the point I was making, though I do believe Hayes in NYC did impacted Veasey.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Amazing that people don't understand that the same player will have better advanced stats on a good team and worse ones on a bad team.
Remember when every asshole said a Sabres player "sucked" because of low corsi when Dan was the coach......

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Right... which was the point I was making, though I do believe Hayes in NYC did impacted Veasey.

I think it was more about Hayes talking up how awesome it was to play for the Rangers and living in NYC than just getting to be on the same team as Hayes.

If Hayes was a Sabre, I doubt Vesey signs here.

Reactions: BUCKSHOT

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Monty is your classic love-hate type of player. You'll love his aggressive style, but then hate that he tries a self-pass against the boards in the offensive zone in a 1-1 game with 3 minutes left which results in a turnover, odd-man rush and subsequent goal/loss (See last Ducks' game v Calgary).

You'll never question his compete level, but for whatever reason he couldn't stick on a crappy PP unit, take that "next step", or really find a good partner to play with. Seems like a guy whose toolbox has not caught up to his tools yet, and as others have mentioned that may be because he didn't commit to hockey until a later age than most. Right now he's a high risk-high reward 2nd pairing defenseman, but potentially could become a top pairing #2(not carry a pairing). He did not progress as expected this season, but as you can figure every defenseman has not progressed this season and that's not a coincidence.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
That scares you?

Did you expect a gm to talk about the statistical weakness of the guy he just traded for?

It scares me that we might have 2 ristos now instead of one

Just a gut reaction, I dont watch much Ducks hockey, very excited to see him in action tomorrow

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Not for nothing....How did you not get this guy in town and prepared to play tonight?

This game is ****ing monstrous. The deal wasn’t consummated at 2:59pm today. A little annoying
It will get him more time to practice with the team and get a feel before rushing him to play his first game....not really an issue imo.

Reactions: jBuds

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Not for nothing....How did you not get this guy in town and prepared to play tonight?

This game is ****ing monstrous. The deal wasn’t consummated at 2:59pm today. A little annoying

A little weird right? Guhle is in for the Ducks.

Reactions: jBuds

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Botterill said he would’ve had to take a red eye flight just to make it, and that’s not a good way to give a first impression to the coach, fan, or his teammates. I get that this game is important, but that’s the leagues fault.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
The great bonus of this hockey trade is the energy it has added to the team. These next two nights are going to be fun.

Also, kudos to Botts and Phil for letting BM get his legs under him and not throwing him into a Toronto game tonight.

Taro Tsujimoto

Jan 6, 2009
Clarence Center, NY
Botterill said he would’ve had to take a red eye flight just to make it, and that’s not a good way to give a first impression to the coach, fan, or his teammates. I get that this game is important, but that’s the leagues fault.

Yeah, with all the players moving around, it does seem kind of stupid to have games on deadline day.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Monty is your classic love-hate type of player. You'll love his aggressive style, but then hate that he tries a self-pass against the boards in the offensive zone in a 1-1 game with 3 minutes left which results in a turnover, odd-man rush and subsequent goal/loss (See last Ducks' game v Calgary).

You'll never question his compete level, but for whatever reason he couldn't stick on a crappy PP unit, take that "next step", or really find a good partner to play with. Seems like a guy whose toolbox has not caught up to his tools yet, and as others have mentioned that may be because he didn't commit to hockey until a later age than most. Right now he's a high risk-high reward 2nd pairing defenseman, but potentially could become a top pairing #2(not carry a pairing). He did not progress as expected this season, but as you can figure every defenseman has not progressed this season and that's not a coincidence.
Sounds like a perfect partner for Dahlin who can carry a pair and will blossom into a true #1 in short order. Gives Risto easier minutes on the 2nd pair with a stable Defensive D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad