OT: Buds Board Keeper League - need Dallas GM

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
So what exactly is the point of this? You start with the current NHL roster, and then draft young players and make trades with other GMs to become better over time?

Total newb to this - someone please explain this to me...

The idea of this league is to emulate the experience of a GM. You draft, trade, waive, claim, etc.

The point structure is based upon actual NHL statistics. Your players gain points by actual league performance. Goals, assists, PIM, shots, blocked shots, save percentage, saves, shutouts, etc.

Each week your roster goes head-to-head against an opponent.

Inferno31

Jul 25, 2008
Hamilton
The idea of this league is to emulate the experience of a GM. You draft, trade, waive, claim, etc.

The point structure is based upon actual NHL statistics. Your players gain points by actual league performance. Goals, assists, PIM, shots, blocked shots, save percentage, saves, shutouts, etc.

Each week your roster goes head-to-head against an opponent.

Now thats gonna be a great debate to see which stats get counted etc. esp in a head to head league. :laugh:

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
I'd advocate ignoring the cap. Then you won't have to worry about number crunching and a team severely overpaying one of your players when he's a UFA and messing up your cap.

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
Yeap pretty much. Since it'll be head to head you'll be going up against another team for an entire week tracking performances.

Just wanted to bring up two concerns.

1. Since were using real teams and yahoo h2h, some teams will play a lot a week and go against a team that doesn't play so much, it should even itself out over a season but those winter classic/international games will be challenging. Also we have to hope for an active trade market as well.

2. Since I don't think theres a cap/floor thing in yahoo, we'd have to keep track of it ourselves (using nhlscap etc), but we'd need some good capologists in the system. Reason being bonuses, incentives to rookie contracts.

It'd be pretty interesting to see if we could set it up, I'd be a bit confused about how the free agency period would work (what do you do for this etc?) and predicting how the cap goes, but it defn adds to the excitement.

This is by no means set in stone, but one retains rights for any RFAs and UFAs. Though we will use Yahoo, people must keep track of their own cap based on nhlnumbers.com.

Rookie salaries will also be based on what is listed on nhlnumbers.

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
I'd advocate ignoring the cap. Then you won't have to worry about number crunching and a team severely overpaying one of your players when he's a UFA and messing up your cap.

I personally like that aspect of the game. If you feel like your young players might get overpaid you try to maximize your asset and trade the guy before it happens :).

Inferno31

Jul 25, 2008
Hamilton
This is by no means set in stone, but one retains rights for any RFAs and UFAs. Though we will use Yahoo, people must keep track of their own cap based on nhlnumbers.com.

Rookie salaries will also be based on what is listed on nhlnumbers.

I'm up for using the cap, the only part of this confusing me is..
So you have a player who played for your team and signs for another team (does he go to their team?, do we have our own free agency signing period?) the team in our league may not need/want him, and this arrangement would wreak havoc with the cap..Even if he resigns for your team, its still fairly confusing? Do we have a bidding system via free agency (Which is what I think would happen? but theres tons of UFAs (maybe do 5-6 a week thru summer?). It'll be a complex process but we'll deal with I guess when theres 30 gms set up.

Kudos to Starpainter for setting it up

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
you'll definitely need someone devoted to cap stuff full-time.

Also does yahoo accomodate 50 players on your roster?

another consideration is how do we set up a minors system using yahoo?

Can I sit out a high paid NHL'er in the "ahl" and avoid his salary? And if i call him up will someone have to work out the pro rate of his salary?

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
I'm up for using the cap, the only part of this confusing me is..
So you have a player who played for your team and signs for another team (does he go to their team?, do we have our own free agency signing period?) the team in our league may not need/want him, and this arrangement would wreak havoc with the cap..Even if he resigns for your team, its still fairly confusing? Do we have a bidding system via free agency (Which is what I think would happen? but theres tons of UFAs (maybe do 5-6 a week thru summer?). It'll be a complex process but we'll deal with I guess when theres 30 gms set up.

Kudos to Starpainter for setting it up

Thanks for that.

The moment we start the league our rosters split from reality. If we were to start tomorrow, and the Leafs signed Gustavsson the next day he would not belong to me in the game. For free agents, whomever claims the player gets him. We will have a maximum of one claim per 24-hour period.

During the regular season Yahoo will take care of this for us. During the off-season we need to keep track of it manually.

The idea of having our own free agency (negotiating contracts, etc) would not work with the Yahoo engine.

So, say you choose the Vancouver Canucks. You know own the rights to the Sedins until you decide to trade them. Say they sign with the Leafs for $6m each, they are now on your roster for $6m each. If they get traded in the NHL they do not get traded in the game.

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
you'll definitely need someone devoted to cap stuff full-time.

Also does yahoo accomodate 50 players on your roster?

another consideration is how do we set up a minors system using yahoo?

Can I sit out a high paid NHL'er in the "ahl" and avoid his salary? And if i call him up will someone have to work out the pro rate of his salary?

Cap stuff will be managed by Yahoo during the season. During the off season every team will have its own thread that is maintained by its GM. Each GM is responsible for staying within the cap.

I'm not certain what Yahoo's roster limit is, but we will likely be restrained by whatever it is...

The minors/prospects system will not be through Yahoo! That will be strictly forum based. Once the prospect enters the NHL you will own his rights in Yahoo.

We should have a benchmark, say 150 games or so, that a player must be under in order to be considered a prospect and eligible for the prospect list.

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
I'll be the LA Kings :kings

edit: i'm already in a couple of these, and they are good times...add me to the list of 30 GM's!

killer93

Jun 21, 2007
Detroit please

What do you do about injuries and callups during the injuries and how that affects the cap?

I really don't think you're going to be able to work the salary cap aspect properly and fairly. How do you anticipate what a player on your roster will get in free agency? someone might give Gaborik a 9m deal for one year or he might get a 12year contract wiht an average cap hit of 6m. It leaves you little time to figure out what to do, especially if you have 3 or 4 FA's on your team.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
This has the potential to be really interesting if everyone is active. I know that I check HFboards daily which is why I'd advise to only pick regulars from this board. If anything it would just serve as a reminder to check the pool while browsing the board.

Raptactics29

Mar 28, 2007
London, Ontario
We should have a vote for a fantasy draft or not..

Also, I agree with Dubey.. regs only, I hate going into pools and half the league is inactive or they stop paying attention to their team half way through the season..

It Kills Me

Aug 6, 2004
We should have a vote for a fantasy draft or not..

Also, I agree with Dubey.. regs only, I hate going into pools and half the league is inactive or they stop paying attention to their team half way through the season..

It's going to be rough finding 30 regulars.

alienanton*

alienanton = Columbus Blue Jackets

regs only and fantasy draft is my vote as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad