OT: Buds Board Keeper League - need Dallas GM

facey*

i'd love to participate in something like this.... are you thinking a 23 man roster? or ? need some guide lines in order to get organized.

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
i'd love to participate in something like this.... are you thinking a 23 man roster? or ? need some guide lines in order to get organized.

Yeah, I think that a 23-man is a good idea. I hope we can get the opinion of the collective membership on issues like this. Provisionally, we will say that we will have a 23-man roster.

I woudln't mind using the NHL's 50-contract rule. Should that include prospects? Should unsigned prospects be excluded? Once again, something we should discuss.

I'm down to participate as well

Great. 2 bites in less than an hour in the middle of the night. We may be able to have an entire membership of Leafs board folk.

What do you two think, fantasy draft or current rosters?

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
I've been searching for a decent keepers league.. I'd be interested only if you were confident in a high level of commitment from the other GM's.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm already in 2 hardcore pools, one being a keeper. It would be interesting to do one with members of the Leaf board. Right now I'll say I'm in, but I'm not concrete yet.

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
Fantasy draft would make it a lot harder for intial setup, but would promote parity early on.

I vote fantasy draft.

In that case we should have a... say... 35? 40? round fantasy draft (which would likely take a week or so) excluding this year's draft eligible players.

Once that is complete we could have an entry draft.

Option #2 is to simply take over current teams including current draft picks. I, for one, wouldn't mind taking over a poor team such as the Leafs.

Inferno31

Jul 25, 2008
Hamilton
I'd be a fairly dedicated member, I've been starving for a keeper league with GMs who are you know actually present..

Fantasy Draft may make the set up much harder, but then the parity would defn be there. I think that would prob be the way to go, my only worry is using actual rosters that GMS with crap teams may become highly disinterested after 1 or 2 seasons of sucking.

We doing 23 team rosters? (couple bench spots for AHL call ups or what have you?)

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
I'm already in 2 hardcore pools, one being a keeper. It would be interesting to do one with members of the Leaf board. Right now I'll say I'm in, but I'm not concrete yet.

The more the merrier. As long as you feel you can be active in this league you are welcomed.

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
There's pros and cons to both sides. It does sound kind of appealing to try and fix a current NHL roster. Would make it feel more real.

Whoever is in charge should just make a decision and run with it. People will sign up regardless. and be very strict on inactivity.

Inferno31

Jul 25, 2008
Hamilton
There's pros and cons to both sides. It does sound kind of appealing to try and fix a current NHL roster. Would make it feel more real.

Whoever is in charge should just make a decision and run with it. People will sign up regardless. and be very strict on inactivity.

Yeah really I'd be fine with it either way, as long as theres strict limits on inactivity. If we could get a good following here, I'm sure other gms will sign upt o take over inactive spots.

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
I'd be a fairly dedicated member, I've been starving for a keeper league with GMs who are you know actually present..

Fantasy Draft may make the set up much harder, but then the parity would defn be there. I think that would prob be the way to go, my only worry is using actual rosters that GMS with crap teams may become highly disinterested after 1 or 2 seasons of sucking.

We doing 23 team rosters? (couple bench spots for AHL call ups or what have you?)

I think it should be 23 active with a limit of 50 players (including AHLers, signed, and unsigned prospects).

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario

Logistically, I think this is the way to go. Current NHL rosters. If we were a couple weeks further away from the draft I would prefer fantasy... Meh.

Yeah really I'd be fine with it either way, as long as theres strict limits on inactivity. If we could get a good following here, I'm sure other gms will sign upt o take over inactive spots.

Yup. I say we vote on issues for a league constitution once I setup the site (forum). For example, having a 5-man board (myself, the other commissioner, and 3 rotating members) to decide on things such as booting GMs for inactivity and vetoing ludicrous trades.

Starpainter

Oct 9, 2005
Ontario
For the record, please send me a PM if you are committing to a team. I will update the original post with the list of members and teams. Please indicate if you are interested in becoming a co-commissioner.

Once we have 30 members I will open up a forum.

I for one claim the lowly Maple Leafs :)

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm sorry, I thought this was a fantasy hockey pool. Not into the real roster stuff. I'm out guys.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008
So what exactly is the point of this? You start with the current NHL roster, and then draft young players and make trades with other GMs to become better over time?

Total newb to this - someone please explain this to me...

RyanMac

Jul 20, 2003
So what exactly is the point of this? You start with the current NHL roster, and then draft young players and make trades with other GMs to become better over time?

That is exactly it. It's no different than choosing a hockey pool team with your buddies, except each year your roster remains the same except the trades and draft choices you make for it.

Inferno31

Jul 25, 2008
Hamilton

Yeap pretty much. Since it'll be head to head you'll be going up against another team for an entire week tracking performances.

Just wanted to bring up two concerns.

1. Since were using real teams and yahoo h2h, some teams will play a lot a week and go against a team that doesn't play so much, it should even itself out over a season but those winter classic/international games will be challenging. Also we have to hope for an active trade market as well.

2. Since I don't think theres a cap/floor thing in yahoo, we'd have to keep track of it ourselves (using nhlscap etc), but we'd need some good capologists in the system. Reason being bonuses, incentives to rookie contracts.

It'd be pretty interesting to see if we could set it up, I'd be a bit confused about how the free agency period would work (what do you do for this etc?) and predicting how the cap goes, but it defn adds to the excitement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad