Post-Game Talk: Bucky stands tall: 6-1 Jets

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Stuff that I have read suggests that he already does have a similar moxie when it comes to conditioning. These kids are surrounded by guys like Wheeler, Stuart, Thorburn, Peluso, and Ladd that are workhorses off the ice.

Trouba is growing into his game and reminds me a bit of a Pronger-lite.

I hope you are correct.

There have been speculation (I think Westwood tweeted something), that Roberts indicated that Trouba was one of his poorer students (or something to that affect).

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Typo by me: meant #2 :D

GJF: your last sentence is my point - if he's gotten us into the playoffs when Pavelec comes back, then it's at least a hard decision. Even then, I think his only chance of staying up is if Hutch self-destructs and Helle has been a dominant #1 and has played most of the games.

He was meant to be the #3 this year, and his contract and the roster limit works against him. He's got to overwhelmingly prove he's the man if he wants the team to take the risk on losing Hutch.

Yeah yeah sure, that's what I would say right now :sarcasm: ;)

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I disagree. Ehlers is actually very calm and smart with the puck in all zones. He makes very good decisions, has decent positioning, and is very efficient at zone exit and zone entry. He gets beaten in board battles, but that's not such a big deal in his position/role.

Ehlers seems to be having a tough time transitioning his game into the NHL, what worked in the QMJHL isn't working in the NHL where guys are all bigger and faster. What I don't like about Ehlers game right now is his shooting from ridiculous spots on the ice which just ends up turning the puck over, he doesn't seem to recognize when his line-mates are open or in better scoring position and he fires pucks blindly. Ehlers play making is lacking right now, something he is going to have to learn to excel at, he is never going to become a power forward for obvious reasons.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I think Hutch would almost certainly not clear. He makes damn near minimum wage, he's got a year of RFA left and is AT LEAST a #2 on 25 teams in the league.

And, there's a market for him, either when Pavelec gets back or in the summer. Talbot got a 2nd + 3rd this past summer, Jones got a 1st and Lehner got a 1st. If we lose him on waivers in February, that's a hell of a lot of assets to throw away.

If Hellebuyck single-handedly gets us to a playoff position in the next month or two, I'd trade Hutch to try and improve the team's playoff chances and go with Pav/Helle this year and next. If there is any other outcome between now and Pavelec coming back, I send Helle down. Which isn't the end of the world.

Why can't they trade Hutch for a late pick if there is that much demand? Why are we panicking about potentially losing an average goalie in the case that someone finally proves worthy of being a legit #1 for us?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Why would I claim him? He's a below-average goalie with a poor contract. Unless I was trying to tank and meet league minimum payroll, I don't see a reason to claim him on waivers.

Hutch will be sent down when Pavelec returns, barring a complete collapse by Hellebuyck.

Well, then...he really IS waiver-proof!

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
If Hellebuyck does emerge as the Jets #1, then the Jets will just carry three goaltenders once Pavelec returns from injury and probably a conditioning stint as well.

What's the timetable for Pavelec's return, early February? So that's less than a month of carrying three goalies with the 23 man roster limit, which of course goes away after the deadline.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
If Hutch is claimed that is good for the Jets and good for Hutch. If Hutch is not claimed then send down Pavelec and hope he is claimed.

Derfel*

If Hellebuyck does emerge as the Jets #1, then the Jets will just carry three goaltenders once Pavelec returns from injury and probably a conditioning stint as well.

What's the timetable for Pavelec's return, early February? So that's less than a month of carrying three goalies with the 23 man roster limit, which of course goes away after the deadline.

That's actually something I didn't factor in - if Hellebuyck is playing really well, they run with Helle and Hutch. Pavelec comes back health in mid-February, but plays 10 games with the Moose to condition. That means the Double-H stays intact until maybe beginning of March?

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
That's actually something I didn't factor in - if Hellebuyck is playing really well, they run with Helle and Hutch. Pavelec comes back health in mid-February, but plays 10 games with the Moose to condition. That means the Double-H stays intact until maybe beginning of March?

I think conditioning stints are in days not starts, with a 14 day maximum. He'd get 3 or 4 starts probably.

Derfel*

I think conditioning stints are in days not starts, with a 14 day maximum. He'd get 3 or 4 starts probably.

Sorry - I said "games" where I meant "days" - originally I had typed 3 games, but didn't know what the schedule at that time was like.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013

Max is 14 days From CBA

"13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club."

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Sorry - I said "games" where I meant "days" - originally I had typed 3 games, but didn't know what the schedule at that time was like.

6 Moose home games between feb 4 and 14. Seems like a good stretch for him if I was a betting man.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I hope you are correct.

There have been speculation (I think Westwood tweeted something), that Roberts indicated that Trouba was one of his poorer students (or something to that affect).

Well that was a couple of years ago so things could have changed since then. Plus the Roberts camp set up isn't cut out for everyone. Trouba may require a different training environment to get the most out of himself.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I don't get the criticism of Ehlers at all in this thread, the kid is doing fine and is learning as the season goes on. Someone said his assist on the PP should be discounted? what? why?. He took a good shot and a teammate popped the goal in.

He just had a breakaway goal the other night and it seems that him and Burmi are developing some chemistry. He is doing absolutley fine.

Some of the comments makes me wonder if I'm watching the same game as others. He makes a few mistakes as rookies in their first year do but to me he's been good in all 3 zones more often than not.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Max is 14 days From CBA

"13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club."

So was Bernier sent down on a Conditioning Loan? Don't you have to be injured first? Or are they just waiving him and say it's for conditioning purposes to protect his feelings?

Just Ducky

Jan 8, 2012
I don't get the Ehlers criticism either.

Perhaps expectations for some this year are way too high but watch for him next year and years to come- this kid has all the talent to be an elite scorer in the NHL.

He will be our leading scorer- book it.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I don't get the criticism of Ehlers at all in this thread, the kid is doing fine and is learning as the season goes on. Someone said his assist on the PP should be discounted? what? why?. He took a good shot and a teammate popped the goal in.

He just had a breakaway goal the other night and it seems that him and Burmi are developing some chemistry. He is doing absolutley fine.

Some of the comments makes me wonder if I'm watching the same game as others. He makes a few mistakes as rookies in their first year do but to me he's been good in all 3 zones.

Could'nt agree more Bruce !! I don't know what some people think he is supposed to be 25 games into his NHL career , Patrick Kane ? He is a offensive player on a 3rd line with Thor , which reminds me ... i would sure like to see Armia get a couple of games on that line and move Thor to the 4th where he should be :shakehead The Caps aren't a real physical team , could Armia get a shot then ? Talk about a sophomore slump going on with Lowery man he will be a cheap RFA :amazed:

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
So was Bernier sent down on a Conditioning Loan? Don't you have to be injured first? Or are they just waiving him and say it's for conditioning purposes to protect his feelings?

He's still taking up a roster spot and he had to agree to it. Altjough I did wonder about it sounding a bit fishy when it was announced.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

Some of the comments makes me wonder if I'm watching the same game as others. He makes a few mistakes as rookies in their first year do but to me he's been good in all 3 zones more often than not.

+1, exactly right.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well according to the headline of this article, they're apparently making "sweet music" together - and as a funkster, you should know what that means... :laugh:

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/11/28/scheifele-oates-to-make-sweet-music

Sweet find Gm0ney! :handclap:

Just got back from NuBurger fellow funksters and hipsters were chowing and now I feel totally plugged back into things that needed to be known!!

Have to say Scheif's insatiable appetite for self improvement is impressive.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER

I don't get the Ehlers criticism either.

Perhaps expectations for some this year are way too high but watch for him next year and years to come- this kid has all the talent to be an elite scorer in the NHL.

He will be our leading scorer- book it.

Could'nt agree more Bruce !! I don't know what some people think he is supposed to be 25 games into his NHL career , Patrick Kane ? He is a offensive player on a 3rd line with Thor , which reminds me ... i would sure like to see Armia get a couple of games on that line and move Thor to the 4th where he should be :shakehead The Caps aren't a real physical team , could Armia get a shot then ? Talk about a sophomore slump going on with Lowery man he will be a cheap RFA :amazed:

And I'm not sure why you guys make it sound like we have like a whole page of people bashing Ehlers :laugh:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers has a lot to learn about playing without the puck...he is fine in his D zone with the puck or when the team has the puck but when the opposing team has the puck, not so fine.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Ehlers is scoring at a 1.75 pace
If he finishes at that pace he'll post better 5v5 scoring numbers than Scheifele did in his rookie or sophomore season.

Also, Scheifele's best right now is 1.76 point pace.

Last edited:

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Ehlers is scoring at a 1.75 pace
If he finishes at that pace he'll post better 5v5 scoring numbers than Scheifele did in his rookie or sophomore season.

Do you have any projected numbers for comparable goalscorers in their rookie season in regards of shooting%?

Ehlers is at 7.1 % right now and on pace for 221 SOG over 82 GP. Which projects to 15.5 goals over 82 games but I doubt he'll be stuck with 7% for the rest of the season, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad