OT: Buccaneers, Rays & Other Tampa Bay Sports Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Giving up their vet pitching and relying on young guys was quite a gamble. Only one loss but it's tough to blow a game where you score 5 runs in the first inning.

Now that my ban is over I can go back to complaining on here again.

Reactions: Master P

DMXATF23

Mar 9, 2004
St. Petersburg, FL
Giving up their vet pitching and relying on young guys was quite a gamble. Only one loss but it's tough to blow a game where you score 5 runs in the first inning.

Now that my ban is over I can go back to complaining on here again.
That one was on the bullpen, not Baz. He was solid after the first.

berlin

04, 20, 21, CHAMPS
Jul 14, 2012
Kokomo
Imagine how many W.S. titles the Rays would have if they spent more money on players.

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Can't say I'm sorry to see the Rays lose. Between their dreadful fans (holy hell is draysbay a shithole, bunch of snowflakes) their stingy ass owner and that disgusting indoor flee market they call a stadium I'm doing something once thought unthinkable, rooting for a Boston team. Baseball sucks anyway, move 'em to Canada!

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
I don't know what the official rule is for a ground rule double that ping pongs off an outfielder and over the wall, but it needs to change. That's inexcusable for them to take a run off the board when Diaz would've scored with ease. The lack of salary cap alone makes MLB a joke, lets not add to it with rules like that.

Reactions: JFleegs

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Another failure of a season for the Rays about to happen. Maybe one day this organization will do what is necessary and get the players needed to win a title, but with this manager, front office, and ownership, I highly doubt it.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I can't even be mad about "Rays are cheap" because our pitching has been wrecked by injuries so bad that we're basically down solely to McClanahan as a viable starter. Archer can't stay healthy and Hill and Glasnow both got rekt when sticky stuff got banned. Literally sign any 2 starting pitchers worth a shit and keep the starting 9 and we'll win 90-something games again and be in a much better position this time next year.

Again I can't even be mad. I've watched enough Lightning hockey to know how this story ends and what shit luck does to a team. Tell me with a straight face we shouldn't have had 3 Cups by now and we don't beat Chicago with a healthy lineup. Idk about a Cup but Pittsburgh especially despite that they could outplay us for stretches. We'd have at least made it back

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Sometimes it just doesn't go your way. (I sound like Cooper) Which is why it's more important to take as many cracks at it as you can than go all in on one attempt. The Bolts have taught us that, eventually.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Sometimes it just doesn't go your way. (I sound like Cooper) Which is why it's more important to take as many cracks at it as you can than go all in on one attempt. The Bolts have taught us that, eventually.

If one can believe it, I think the biggest question left going forward is "Does Cruz have anything left in the tank?" because Arozarena, Franco and Cruz have proven to be a pivotal counterpart to the other part of our offense that strikes out a lot (see: Zunino and Kiermaier) and as long as we can field them on a given night I like our chances to dig out a few runs even by accident.

I mean, I touched on Archer, Glasnow and having to move on from hill and that's without mentioning how injuries have set back Brent Honeywell and Brendan McKay for how long. Our pitchers for whatever reason just can't stay healthy. To say we've had bad luck is an understatement

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
If one can believe it, I think the biggest question left going forward is "Does Cruz have anything left in the tank?" because Arozarena, Franco and Cruz have proven to be a pivotal counterpart to the other part of our offense that strikes out a lot (see: Zunino and Kiermaier) and as long as we can field them on a given night I like our chances to dig out a few runs even by accident.

I mean, I touched on Archer, Glasnow and having to move on from hill and that's without mentioning how injuries have set back Brent Honeywell and Brendan McKay for how long. Our pitchers for whatever reason just can't stay healthy. To say we've had bad luck is an understatement
Injuries yes, but also being too cheap to retain a bonafide top 3 starter in Morton and trading another for peanuts(sorry, but neither Patino nor Mejia have been amazing) wrecked this team's starting pitching from the start as well.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
You can't let your best pitchers walk, or trade them, to save money and expect to win in the post season with a bunch of young arms. Also, the Rays need to trade Lowe, he's absolutely dreadful in the playoffs. Dude went hit-less in four games, 0-18 with 9 strikeouts, couldn't even draw a single walk. This after hitting .118 (9-76) last year. His career playoff average now stands at .115.

Franco is going to be a star but as usual once he hits FA a big market team is going to throw 300-400 million at him and he's gone. I'm totally fine with the team being moved permanently.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I mean, once again it's 100% ownership. Lightning were in a lot worse shape than the Rays before Vinik arrived, unfortunately I don't see anyone coming to bail out the Rays.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
You can't let your best pitchers walk, or trade them, to save money and expect to win in the post season with a bunch of young arms. Also, the Rays need to trade Lowe, he's absolutely dreadful in the playoffs. Dude went hit-less in four games, 0-18 with 9 strikeouts, couldn't even draw a single walk. This after hitting .118 (9-76) last year. His career playoff average now stands at .115.

Franco is going to be a star but as usual once he hits FA a big market team is going to throw 300-400 million at him and he's gone. I'm totally fine with the team being moved permanently.
Yeah, obviously losing Glasnow hurt, but I seriously doubt if they still had Morton and Snell they lose this series when they averaged 5 runs per game. Even so, the supposed best bullpen in the AL looked like a pile all series, and combined with inexperienced starters, this result was predictable, whether in this round or a later one.

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
Don't let them lie to you, Stu pulls in somewhere between 40-60m a year. Team won't win shit as long at Stu Sternberg is involved.

Exactly. I think a perception exists that the team is barely breaking even but that's not the case. There's money to spend but it seems to always find its way into Stu's pocket, permanently.

Letting arguably our two best pitchers go in the offseason showed how little he cares about winning a championship. You figure with a run to the world series, even with reduced attendance, he would have spent a little extra going into this year. Nope, he pocketed the profits and ditched two high priced players to rake in even more.

Dude is a bum and as I've already said I'm 100 percent behind this team getting moved. Maybe down the road the league will be ready for expansion again and a new ownership group will attempt to bring another team here with a new stadium. Until then I'll continue to be amazed that people still line Stu's pockets knowing so little is going back into the team.

Bob and 200 others

Apr 30, 2012
Rays front office is probably the best in the sport, Cash is also great (though some questionable calls in the post season). It's the ownership that's god awful. Franco will be the best player this team has ever had and their probably going to lose him to a big market team, Rays should be doing everything they can to sign him long term.

As an aside, player salaries are mind boggling in this sport. Kevin K, more or less purely a defensive player is set to make $12mil next year, that's top tier money in the NHL

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Rays front office is probably the best in the sport, Cash is also great (though some questionable calls in the post season). It's the ownership that's god awful. Franco will be the best player this team has ever had and their probably going to lose him to a big market team, Rays should be doing everything they can to sign him long term.

As an aside, player salaries are mind boggling in this sport. Kevin K, more or less purely a defensive player is set to make $12mil next year, that's top tier money in the NHL

We need a new ballpark like NOW. You don't keep a Franco without payroll and a park to pay for it

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

Cash at this point is okay but man, some baffling choices like keeping Lowe in the lineup.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Lowe was bad.

Cash had questionable decisions.

Injuries just let it be a bad time.

I wish Stu would spend some money.
Lowe was like 0-18 or something. Terrible

Cash pulling another pitcher like he did with Snell was crazy. I'm just not a fan of the analytic play during a big playoff game / moment. You gotta roll with the hot hand.

Stu should just sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad