Confirmed with Link: Bryzgalov on try-out with Ducks

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Yes, the Bryz signing is odd. Which leads one to speculate that BM must know something the rest of us don't. Gibson has not been lighting up the NHL and it just may be that a decision was made to give him a little more time in the A. I know some people consider that sacrilegious but it is a possibility.

It also might be Bob's way of saying he is all in for a serious cup run by bringing in a serious #3 goalie...however it works out with who plays where.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Weekes nailed it on the head. This whole situation really makes no sense especially now that LaBarbera is back. We really have no idea how Bryz is going to perform but Murray has already committed big money (or at least inflated money) to him. I just don't understand why Murray couldn't have signed him to a pro try-out in Norfolk, see how he performed, check the status of his injured goalies and then make a decision. I understood the desperation move in acquiring Brewer but this is totally bonkers.

By the sounds of it, Brewer wasn't really a desperation move. I can't find the articles, but LeBrun and Friedman hinted that Brewer might've been a Duck even sooner had Hedman been healthy, and he targeted him before Allen was dealt.

As for Bryz, I think it's obvious, they have no faith in Labarbera. He was signed as insurance, but once the possibility of him having to play became real, they regretted it. The money is weirdly high, but overall, I think they realized they need a better option there. Part of it's faith in Bryz, hence why he was signed, but IMO this tells us more about the way the org. feels about Labarbera than anything.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Yes, the Bryz signing is odd. Which leads one to speculate that BM must know something the rest of us don't. Gibson has not been lighting up the NHL and it just may be that a decision was made to give him a little more time in the A. I know some people consider that sacrilegious but it is a possibility.

It also might be Bob's way of saying he is all in for a serious cup run by bringing in a serious #3 goalie...however it works out with who plays where.
Gibson wasn't doing poorly either. That's what stands out. It didn't look like he was at risk of being sent down before he got injured.

I do wonder about trade scenarios...

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
That's something I never considered but you never know with Murray. He's certainly never been shy to make trades.
While goaltending prospects tend not to fetch much, there is always the chance for an outlier. Maybe someone is interested in a package that Gibson is anchoring and dangling something tempting? I apologize in advance if this speculation spawns a terrible trade proposal on the trade board.

anezthes

Mar 20, 2014
While goaltending prospects tend not to fetch much, there is always the chance for an outlier. Maybe someone is interested in a package that Gibson is anchoring and dangling something tempting? I apologize in advance if this speculation spawns a terrible trade proposal on the trade board.

What have you done!

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
By the sounds of it, Brewer wasn't really a desperation move. I can't find the articles, but LeBrun and Friedman hinted that Brewer might've been a Duck even sooner had Hedman been healthy, and he targeted him before Allen was dealt.

As for Bryz, I think it's obvious, they have no faith in Labarbera. He was signed as insurance, but once the possibility of him having to play became real, they regretted it. The money is weirdly high, but overall, I think they realized they need a better option there. Part of it's faith in Bryz, hence why he was signed, but IMO this tells us more about the way the org. feels about Labarbera than anything.

But that scenario only makes sense if Bryz were signed to a modest deal and if he played while Gibson was out. Now that Gibson is close to coming back that suggests Murray doesn't have faith in him which doesn't make sense. Aside from needed a couple games to get back in shape Gibson doesn't need to go down to Norfolk, not based on how he was playing before he went down. You don't sign a guy to a 2.88 million dollar contract if you're concerned about the third-string goalie.

What I'm wondering is if this means he's listening to calls about Andersen. It seems crazy he'd be doing all this in order to move Freddie for a significant piece but consider every other scenario doesn't make sense either I wouldn't put it past him. Because if he's concerned about Gibson getting a big workload in the A it doesn't make sense to get Bryzgalov because that suggests that we need a capable goalie to split the games with Freddie. If that's the case then you don't need to send down Gibson, he can do that. But they think Freddie is the guy and will play the majority of the games down the road so Gibson might as well go somewhere he'll play than signing Bryz to that money makes even less sense if he's just going to be a backup that's going to play a handful of games. What if his plan is to go with Brzy and Gibson splitting the net and trading Andersen in an attempt to get the stud d-man he's been looking for? I have to imagine there's a bunch of teams who would kill to have Freddie. That's a bat-**** crazy idea if you ask me and totally unnecessary but so is signing Bryz to that contract giving his and our situation.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
But that scenario only makes sense if Bryz were signed to a modest deal and if he played while Gibson was out. Now that Gibson is close to coming back that suggests Murray doesn't have faith in him which doesn't make sense. Aside from needed a couple games to get back in shape Gibson doesn't need to go down to Norfolk, not based on how he was playing before he went down. You don't sign a guy to a 2.88 million dollar contract if you're concerned about the third-string goalie.

What I'm wondering is if this means he's listening to calls about Andersen. It seems crazy he'd be doing all this in order to move Freddie for a significant piece but consider every other scenario doesn't make sense either I wouldn't put it past him. Because if he's concerned about Gibson getting a big workload in the A it doesn't make sense to get Bryzgalov because that suggests that we need a capable goalie to split the games with Freddie. If that's the case then you don't need to send down Gibson, he can do that. But they think Freddie is the guy and will play the majority of the games down the road so Gibson might as well go somewhere he'll play than signing Bryz to that money makes even less sense if he's just going to be a backup that's going to play a handful of games. What if his plan is to go with Brzy and Gibson splitting the net and trading Andersen in an attempt to get the stud d-man he's been looking for? I have to imagine there's a bunch of teams who would kill to have Freddie. That's a bat-**** crazy idea if you ask me and totally unnecessary but so is signing Bryz to that contract giving his and our situation.

My guess is that they made a decision, some time before they signed Bryz, to have Gibson in Norfolk playing regularly. Not that Gibson was bad here(although maybe they thought he was), but more that it's better for him to be the starter at this point, which I can get on board with.

Can't explain the inflated number for Bryz, but maybe it was a leverage thing, with another team showing interest during his "tryout", who knows. Either way, signing him before he played is completely normal, the whole tryout contracy was just to see him on ice first. It would've been way weirder to see him in Norfolk on a tryout, that doesn't happen often with an established talent.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think you have to ignore how much Bryz is getting paid. That's irrelevant to the discussion of why he is here.

I'd be surprised to see Bob trade Gibson or Andersen at this point. I think the tandem had/has the potential to work out well for both of them as they grow in the NHL. For sure at some point down the road, one of them gets traded. But I sure can't see that now.

It's truly a head scratcher at this point. :huh:

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
I think you have to ignore how much Bryz is getting paid. That's irrelevant to the discussion of why he is here.

I'd be surprised to see Bob trade Gibson or Andersen at this point. I think the tandem had/has the potential to work out well for both of them as they grow in the NHL. For sure at some point down the road, one of them gets traded. But I sure can't see that now.

It's truly a head scratcher at this point. :huh:

No it's not. His contract sends a clear message that he's here for more than just the occasional start for when Freddie has played too much. If Murray just wanted a guy to play 10-15 games the rest of way he could pry a number of decent backups from around the league. Peter Budaj or Anders Lindback could satisfy that requirement and be much cheaper.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
No it's not. His contract sends a clear message that he's here for more than just the occasional start for when Freddie has played too much. If Murray just wanted a guy to play 10-15 games the rest of way he could pry a number of decent backups from around the league. Peter Budaj or Anders Lindback could satisfy that requirement and be much cheaper.

You (and anybody else) can read what you want into the contract. It doesn't mean you know anything.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site

Or, all the injuries have made him put great value on the backup. Lindback and Budaj are brutal, Bryz is actually pretty decent. Although, I don't think Bryz will ever be named the fulltime starter, barring another catastrophe.

I think there's more to that contract, though. 2.88 is just way too weird and specific of a number.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

They aren't cheaper at all. Bryzgalov cost zero assets. They've already spent quite a few draft picks patching holes. They may well have decided that using cap space was less of an issue than running out of assets for hockey trades (instead of emergency trades), or actually wanting to not have a completely barren draft in a strong draft year.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Or, all the injuries have made him put great value on the backup. Lindback and Budaj are brutal, Bryz is actually pretty decent. Although, I don't think Bryz will ever be named the fulltime starter, barring another catastrophe.

I think there's more to that contract, though. 2.88 is just way too weird and specific of a number.

We don't know Bryz is decent. He hasn't played in months. He could be awful. But he's making money like a 1B and if that wasn't Murray's intention than I have no idea why he signed him to so much money. It's not like teams were lining up to sign Bryz. 2.88 is too much money for a backup, even if he was desperate. And anointing him to split the games with Freddie rather than just be his occasional backup without having so much as a full-practice with the team makes no sense either. If Murray's intention is for Brzy to spell Andersen every so often he's gone about this all wrong. Contrary to what Eddie believes, his salary is very much an indication something is up otherwise Murray has lost his mind.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Spin it any way you want Joe. My point was, you can't read his salary like tea leaves and know exactly what Bob was think. Even though that's exactly what you did.

So you're saying a player being signed to a deal that's greater than the three other goalies we have combined shouldn't inspire speculation into said player's role with the team? Come on. When did we suddenly stop basing a player's expectations on his salary? When you get paid a certain amount you're expected to perform at a certain level. Murray clearly wasn't(shouldn't have been) so desperate that he overpaid Bryz because he needed him immediately. That ship has sailed. Gibson doesn't need to be in the minors so badly that he has to pay Brzy what he's paying him if his intention is for him to be a total backup. I'm sorry but his contract says a lot or Bob is crazy.

Teemu Salami

Empty Ketchup Bottle
May 9, 2013
Orange County, CA
I'm tired as hell, but here goes a theory: Thinking about it, Bob might be trying to re-create what we had last year with Hiller towards the end of the season. AKA stimulate the feeling of competition from last year. Maybe he thinks the young guys need another year to fully take command of the starting goalie role during the playoffs, so he has Bryz now who can play Hiller's part and come in in the playoffs when needed and bring that pressure for the young guys to succeed, or lose their spot, at least temporarily. Like Hiller in for Andersen, and then Gibson in for Hiller last year. Basically delaying the complete youth movement another year is what i'm getting at... Along with providing a safety net if it really goes bad. Bryz will be a ufa that won't be brought back, just like Hiller, but can play Hiller's role to a lesser extent. And we can afford that salary apparently. I don't know, maybe i'm an idiot haha...

More likely situation is that Freddy needs some breaks and we're not fully healthy yet.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I'm just not seeing the big deal on this one. Bryz isn't an unknown. He hasn't been out of the league for years, hasn't been a scrub, or isn't 42 years old. Bryz isn't a huge gamble when it comes to performance even if he hasn't played for a few months of the season.

If Gibson has the mental fortitude that everyone says he does, then he will be just fine simmering for a bit longer. Despite the vote of confidence that Murray and Bruce have shown the kid, he had some real ups and downs last year in Norfolk, and with the big club. In his few games this season he's had the same highs and lows. I don't see how it's a terrible thing for him to stay down a bit longer and show some consistency.

Also, I look at it this way, Murray may have been better off keeping Fasth (injuries and all) and letting this final year of his contract play out. Andersen/Fasth would have been a fine tandem, and Gibson would have been in a similar spot anyhow. Fasth could have been rock solid and provided great depth heading into the playoffs, or he could have been moved at the deadline anyhow to make room for Gibby down the stretch. Fasth carries a $2.9M cap hit this season, so instead we are paying that same money to Bryz, a comparable goalie, for the same role.

No harm, no foul.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
So you're saying a player being signed to a deal that's greater than the three other goalies we have combined shouldn't inspire speculation into said player's role with the team? Come on. When did we suddenly stop basing a player's expectations on his salary? When you get paid a certain amount you're expected to perform at a certain level. Murray clearly wasn't(shouldn't have been) so desperate that he overpaid Bryz because he needed him immediately. That ship has sailed. Gibson doesn't need to be in the minors so badly that he has to pay Brzy what he's paying him if his intention is for him to be a total backup. I'm sorry but his contract says a lot or Bob is crazy.

That argument is misleading. Andersen and Gibson are on ELC's. Would you say Stoner was expected to do more than Lindholm because of his contract?

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
If Gibson is ready to come back, I don't see why we needed to sign Bryz. Pre-injury Gibson was starting to look good enough to challenge Andersen for the starting spot. Oh well, it is what it is at this point.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If Gibson is ready to come back, I don't see why we needed to sign Bryz. Pre-injury Gibson was starting to look good enough to challenge Andersen for the starting spot. Oh well, it is what it is at this point.

The team may just be comfortable with Andersen as their go-to guy right now. Gibson showed promise, but if the team is happy with Andersen they are going to give him the lion's share of the games. Anaheim can afford to play a long game with Gibson, and make sure his development is a priority.

Let the kid get a bunch of games in the AHL. Bryz should be able to handle the backup role, and make sure Andersen gets an appropriate amount of rest. If Gibson tears up the AHL, or Andersen(or Bryz) struggles, then the team can readdress things, but there is no downside to giving Gibson the reins in Norfolk and letting Andersen continue his roll in Anaheim. It's a win-win for Anaheim.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Maybe it's just me, though. I think people are way too quick to suggest a player has nothing to gain in the AHL. My opinion is that, unless a player is absolutely destroying the league(see Perry and Getzlaf), they can always benefit from the higher responsibilities and opportunities they'll get in the AHL.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
What will the Ducks do if there is an expansion draft in the near future (i.e., 2015-2016) for Las Vegas/Seattle/Quebec/etc ? Can we protect both Andersen and Gibson ? Is the decision to send Gibson back to the AHL have anything to do with keeping his NHL games down to impact his eligibility for a potential draft next year?

duxfan8

Sep 13, 2011
South Bay
What will the Ducks do if there is an expansion draft in the near future (i.e., 2015-2016) for Las Vegas/Seattle/Quebec/etc ? Can we protect both Andersen and Gibson ? Is the decision to send Gibson back to the AHL have anything to do with keeping his NHL games down to impact his eligibility for a potential draft next year?
I don't think we need to worry. If it's only one team, we'd be able to protect both Andersen and Gibson. In 2000, there were two options of who you protected. One had one goaltender, the other had two. We'd keep both, but we'd possibly be losing up to 2 (no more than 2 players from a team can be picked) guys like Lovejoy, Stoner (haha, lolz), Fistric and/or Maroon. Would be a lot worse if it was two teams, though.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Maybe it's just me, though. I think people are way too quick to suggest a player has nothing to gain in the AHL. My opinion is that, unless a player is absolutely destroying the league(see Perry and Getzlaf), they can always benefit from the higher responsibilities and opportunities they'll get in the AHL.

I've been saying this exact thing all year.

It's relative to Gibson, Rakell, Karlsson, and Etem IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad