Confirmed with Link: Bryzgalov on try-out with Ducks

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
How long is Gibson going to be out then? And what do we do with Bryz when Gibson is back?

Not that I disagree. Andersen is being way overplayed at the moment.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Bryz! looks like gibson may be out longer than expected though. but i'm much more comfortable with bryz in net backing up andersen than labarbera

welcome home good man.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
How long is Gibson going to be out then? And what do we do with Bryz when Gibson is back?

odds are that they send Gibson down to get a few games under his belt. I wouldn't be surprised if they left in the minors, but if Murray feels he needs Gibson up here, they'll just waive Bryz later in the season.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

Well the 14th marks the six-week mark for Gibson but now this will allow him not to be rushed. Groin injuries are tricky enough but with goalies they can be real touchy. At the very least this will give Freddie a reprieve and keeps us from having to use Bobkov (thank god!).

But when Gibson is ready to go I say we trade him. Edmonton didn't seem to have a problem moving him last year after doing the same thing. I think there will be teams that will be willing to take him on. Or waive him, send him down. I can't imagine his contract will be substantial enough to make sending him down an issue.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Well the 14th marks the six-week mark for Gibson but now this will allow him not to be rushed. Groin injuries are tricky enough but with goalies they can be real touchy. At the very least this will give Freddie a reprieve and keeps us from having to use Bobkov (thank god!).

But when Gibson is ready to go I say we trade him. Edmonton didn't seem to have a problem moving him last year after doing the same thing. I think there will be teams that will be willing to take him on. Or waive him, send him down. I can't imagine his contract will be substantial enough to make sending him down an issue.

Yeah I'm guessing there will be a two way clause of some sort in there. Can't hurt our AHL team if worst comes to worst and we can't trade him anywhere.

Professor John Frink

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
Yeah I'm guessing there will be a two way clause of some sort in there. Can't hurt our AHL team if worst comes to worst and we can't trade him anywhere.

I don't think it would be that far fetched either to send Gibson down to the AHL for a good amount of time to 1) not force him into NHL duty if he isn't ready and 2) get him taught back up to speed after a lengthy time off.

The biggest thing this resolves in goal is at least giving the Ducks some options where they didn't really have any before if there was an injury. Clearly Andersson gets tired playing too many games in a row and having proven options certainly helps the team overall.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
I'll be glad to have Bryz back as long as he still has some game left. The interviews alone are worth it (seriously though, I hope he won't be a distraction). I also wonder what happens when Gibby comes back. If Bryz shows he can still hold his own as a backup, I'd be in favor of letting Gibson simmer in the AHL for the remainder of the season, I don't think it could hurt him. And lord knows the Ads could use some help in net.

I also see that Dallas just put Anders Lindback on waivers, any thoughts on him being a better option?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I'll be glad to have Bryz back as long as he still has some game left. The interviews alone are worth it (seriously though, I hope he won't be a distraction). I also wonder what happens when Gibby comes back. If Bryz shows he can still hold his own as a backup, I'd be in favor of letting Gibson simmer in the AHL for the remainder of the season, I don't think it could hurt him. And lord knows the Ads could use some help in net.

I also see that Dallas just put Anders Lindback on waivers, any thoughts on him being a better option?

Lindback was god awful in the games I saw of him.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

Lindback has been the worst goalie in the NHL this year. I've watched a couple Stars games and he gives them no chance at winning every time he plays.

93Ducks

Go Ducks
May 15, 2010
Excited if true. Bryz, even if not as good as he used to be, is still a funny dude. Hopefully he works out.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Lindback was god awful in the games I saw of him.

Lindback has been the worst goalie in the NHL this year. I've watched a couple Stars games and he gives them no chance at winning every time he plays.

Haha, OK, forget I mentioned it! Just exploring other possibilities, I was thinking that Murray may not want Gibson to stay in the A very long given Bruce's infatuation with playing him. So a 34 yr old Bryz may not be as keen on landing in Norfolk through waivers, but a 26 yr old Lindback might be a more appropriate option.

Nothing to see here...

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust

When Gibson is 100% he's a better option than Bryzgalov. I'm okay with him getting a handful of games in Norfolk to get back up to speed but when he's good to go he should be here. He was playing great before he went down. I think we need to keep in mind this is still Ilya Bryzgalov we're talking about here. He's not the goalie he was a number of years ago. I much prefer him over LaBarbera to back-up but Gibson gives us a better chance to win. His groin injury doesn't change that.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I like this option better then Bobkov, as I said on the trade forum Anaheim needs someone who can play some games for Andersen now opposed to when Gibson comes back.

Doesn't really matter if Bryz isn't keen on ending up in Norfolk, he won't have a say in that matter (unless he refuses to report). And I suspect after Gibson gets some AHL games under his belt and back up to speed after his injury, Norfolk is where Bryz ends up.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
When Gibson is 100% he's a better option than Bryzgalov. I'm okay with him getting a handful of games in Norfolk to get back up to speed but when he's good to go he should be here. He was playing great before he went down. I think we need to keep in mind this is still Ilya Bryzgalov we're talking about here. He's not the goalie he was a number of years ago. I much prefer him over LaBarbera to back-up but Gibson gives us a better chance to win. His groin injury doesn't change that.

Don't want to get too far ahead of things here, Bryz isn't even signed yet and who knows how well he will play (if he plays). But... if Bryz can prove to be a competent backup, despite Gibby being the better goalie I don't think it serves his development well to be sitting for so many games as an NHL backup or 1B. He's still developing and he needs starts. He won't get that splitting time (at best) with Andersen, he'll only get that in Norfolk. Just saying it may not be the worst thing.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
Don't want to get too far ahead of things here, Bryz isn't even signed yet and who knows how well he will play (if he plays). But... if Bryz can prove to be a competent backup, despite Gibby being the better goalie I don't think it serves his development well to be sitting for so many games as an NHL backup or 1B. He's still developing and he needs starts. He won't get that splitting time (at best) with Andersen, he'll only get that in Norfolk. Just saying it may not be the worst thing.

He won't be sitting very much, at least not enough to have to spend the rest of the year in the minors. The team has already made it clear they don't believe he needs to be in the AHL and he doesn't. The best thing for his development is playing in the NHL. Playing 10-15 more games in the A won't be better for his development. Beyond that it's also what's best for the team. What's best for the team is having the best goaltending we can get and that involves Gibson. I'm happy with having Bryz here as a stop-gap but that's it. I saw plenty of him in Minnesota last season and he's not a guy we should rely on to play a lot of games. I highly doubt the two months he's had off since Minny's training camp has done anything positive for him either. He'll be worth having for the next month but after that we need to get Gibson back in the net provided he's good to go.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Well... this would be a turn of events. Really interesting to see how things play out from here. I hope Murray knows what he is doing.

Professor John Frink

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
He won't be sitting very much, at least not enough to have to spend the rest of the year in the minors. The team has already made it clear they don't believe he needs to be in the AHL and he doesn't. The best thing for his development is playing in the NHL. Playing 10-15 more games in the A won't be better for his development. Beyond that it's also what's best for the team. What's best for the team is having the best goaltending we can get and that involves Gibson. I'm happy with having Bryz here as a stop-gap but that's it. I saw plenty of him in Minnesota last season and he's not a guy we should rely on to play a lot of games. I highly doubt the two months he's had off since Minny's training camp has done anything positive for him either. He'll be worth having for the next month but after that we need to get Gibson back in the net provided he's good to go.

If in fact Bryz is signed let me ask you this, why do the Ducks need Gibson back? What is the rush? Why wouldn't 30 or so games in the AHL be good for his development? Will the AHL hurt him that badly? Only one goalie plays at a time and with Andersson clearly deserving to stay as the Ducks #1 option doesn't it make more sense to have Gibson play in the AHL?

I guess it goes back to that argument of what is best for a players development. I just don't see the hurry for Gibson to be in the NHL and play 2 or 3 out of every 10 when he could be playing 9 out of 10 in the AHL. Especially at 21. There will be plenty of time for him to be an NHL player. It would be one thing if the Ducks desperately needed him back but they don't.

But again this argument is one that has gone on forever(even currently in another thread about Steckel).

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This is good depth move. I can't believe the rash of injuries beset upon this year's team, but Bryz could be a very good back up. Gibson, when he returns, needs to get back up to speed. I have no problem with Gibson getting back to speed in Norfolk. In fact, Gibby will be able to hone his skills so much more on a porous defensive team like Norfolk! That will help us more come playoff time at the NHL level.

Norfolk would not mind a bit getting Gibby back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad