Prospect Info: Brycen Martin (2014, 74th) ‎– '18-19: Maine #14 (ECHL)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - Friday, November 6 -

Brycen Martin notched a pair of helpers and a team-high seven shots on goal as Saskatoon was upended by Moose Jaw 7-4.
Martin has 15 points (3+12) in 17 games, which ties for sixth in scoring among WHL defensemen.

@SabresProspects - Saturday, November 7 -

Brycen Martin earned two assists as Saskatoon doubled Red Deer 4-2.
Martin, who has now points in three straight games, has racked up 17 points (3+14) in 18 games this season to place fifth in scoring among WHL defensemen.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects -

Brycen Martin two more assists in Saskatoon 4-3 OT win over Prince Albert. (LaxSabre - Martin also had two SOG and had a 0 +/- in the game.)
Martin back to point/game pace. 19 Games Played - 3 Goals - 16 Assists - 19 Points.

LaxSabre - Fellow Sabres Prospect Brendan Guhle was a -3 and had 3 SOG for Prince Albert.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - Trade action continues with a WHL deal as Brycen Martin (2014, third round) goes from Swift Current to Saskatoon for a player and a pick.

LaxSabre - Brycen Martin traded again!

@SabresProspects -

Brycen Martin (D, 2014, third round) has been traded to the Everett Silvertips. Martin has been playing well - 25GP - 3G - 21A - 24PTS with Saskatoon.
His 24 points are currently tied for 6th among WHL defensemen. He is heading to a Tips squad poised to make a deep playoff run.
The move from Swift Current to Saskatoon last year turned his two-way game around. Added ice time resulted in 8G - 38A - 46PTS in 55GP since that deal.

Friday, November 27 - Brycen Martin picked up an assist on the overtime winner as Saskatoon edged Swift Current 5-4.
Martin now has points in three straight games and eight of his last nine games.

Saturday, November 28 - Brycen Martin notched one assist and two shots on goal as Saskatoon was defeated by Edmonton 3-1.
Martin has points in four straight games and nine of his last ten games.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Everett's top pair looks like it could be Martin-Juulsen now, coupled with a leader and top 2016 prospect in goal (Hart) .. he'll wear #4 per the release:
"Brycen is a dynamic offensive talent we couldn't pass on, and upgrades our hockey club," said Davidson. "He provides a key piece for immediate on-ice success with his ability to control and distribute the puck. This was a deal that made a ton of sense based on our depth and a key piece that helps us be an immediate contender in the Western Hockey League.â€
Martin, who turns 20 on May 9, 2016, is expected to report to Everett and will wear jersey #4. He brings 24 points (3g-21a) and +5 rating in 25 games to the Silvertips blueline, currently tied for sixth in league scoring among defensemen and second among WHL defensemen in assists (21). As an alternate captain, his six power-play assists led Saskatoon and seven power-play points were tied for second on the Blades.

The 6-foot-2, 202 pound defenseman was selected by the Buffalo Sabres in the third round (74th overall) of the 2014 National Hockey League Entry Draft, attended his first training camp with Buffalo last season and made his professional debut at the end of the season with the Rochester Americans, skating in two games with the Sabres’ American Hockey League affiliate.

He joins Noah Juulsen (Montreal, first round in 2015) as two Silvertips players drafted by NHL clubs.
http://www.everettsilvertips.com/article/tips-acquire-d-brycen-martin

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Good move for Martin and should give Sabres scouts more looks at Carter Hart who looks like a very good goalie prospect in a weak goalie class.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Anyone know what's going on with Brycen? Looks like his production has dropped considerably since being traded to Everett.

Saskatoon: 25 games, 24 points
Everett: 32 games, 10 points

Is he getting fewer quality minutes? Is it a system thing? Anyone watching him? I had moderately high expectations for him this year.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Anyone know what's going on with Brycen? Looks like his production has dropped considerably since being traded to Everett.

Saskatoon: 25 games, 24 points
Everett: 32 games, 10 points

Is he getting fewer quality minutes? Is it a system thing? Anyone watching him? I had moderately high expectations for him this year.
I'd rather watch Lethbridge, so I haven't caught many games, but Martin was solid in the games I've seen. Last I checked in on him with Everett, he was sound defensively, making smart offensive pinches, and wristing one home. System, partly at least, plays into it, as Everett's one of the most defensive/boring teams in the dub and are built from the goal out.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
He has no obligation to sign with us now, he can elect to go back into this year's draft, where'd he probably get drafted higher than he did as an 18 year old. He's watched a lot of other Sabres picks, guys he knows from our development camps get signed - that's gotta hurt ego wise, never mind the nice signing bonus kids get when they sign their ELC.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
He has no obligation to sign with us now, he can elect to go back into this year's draft, where'd he probably get drafted higher than he did as an 18 year old. He's watched a lot of other Sabres picks, guys he knows from our development camps get signed - that's gotta hurt ego wise, never mind the nice signing bonus kids get when they sign their ELC.

You're acting like it's weird for a team to wait to sign a 3rd round pick until after they complete their second post-draft season in juniors. They brought him in to play in Rochester at the end of last year and there's no reason to think he won't sign if he's offered a contract. From his draft class, Cornel signed recently, but Peterborough had already been eliminated. I expect Karabacek to be offered a contract, but Moncton is still alive. Everett was just eliminated, so there's absolutely no reason to think that a deal won't get done if Buffalo wants to sign him (which I expect).

What third round pick would seriously expect to be signed to an ELC before they are even eligible to play in the AHL? I know that Baptiste was signed to an ELC after his big 2014 after being a third rounder in 2013, but he was the exception, not the rule.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You're acting like it's weird for a team to wait to sign a 3rd round pick until after they complete their second post-draft season in juniors. They brought him in to play in Rochester at the end of last year and there's no reason to think he won't sign if he's offered a contract. From his draft class, Cornel signed recently, but Peterborough had already been eliminated. I expect Karabacek to be offered a contract, but Moncton is still alive. Everett was just eliminated, so there's absolutely no reason to think that a deal won't get done if Buffalo wants to sign him (which I expect).

What third round pick would seriously expect to be signed to an ELC before they are even eligible to play in the AHL? I know that Baptiste was signed to an ELC after his big 2014 after being a third rounder in 2013, but he was the exception, not the rule.

Well said. Everett was bounced a week ago. We know Murray is at the U-18's, so it wouldn't surprise me to see something happen in the next week.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

BUFFALO, N.Y. (May 21, 2016) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed defenseman Brycen Martin to a three-year, entry-level contract.

Martin (6’2â€, 199 lbs., 5/9/1996) tied his career-high totals in goals (6), assists (31) and points (37) in 66 games for the Saskatoon Blades and Everett Silvertips (WHL) during the 2015-16 season. The Calgary, Alberta native finished fifth among Silvertips skaters and paced all Everett defenseman in assists and points during the campaign.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00