Speculation: Bryan Rust

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
anyone else think trading Bryan Rust is a horrible idea? His name keeps coming up but I can’t really understand why. I know we need to shed salary and teams want him so that makes him easy to trade but seeing as how you’re trading him for cap purposes that means we most likely aren’t going to be bringing back any NHL ready players.

Rust is pretty much the model player for how they want their role players to play. Fast versatile and defensively responsible. He’s damn near the pens identity that won the cups not to mention a clutch performer. Don’t get me wrong he’s not a super star but he’s a cost effective player who will probably score 15-20 goals each year, kill penalties and can play anywhere in the line up.

I don’t get trades and signings of Kahun and Tanev to them trade Rust. Those guys seem like a down grade to me.

Rant over....sorry

Reactions: TheTang58

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If they trade JJ I doubt the sweetener is gonna be another contract. It’ll be a pick or a prospect.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I certainly wouldn't involve him as any sweetener in a JJ deal but tell me what you'll give up for him and i'll listen at the very least.
Like say Drouin wears out his stay in MTL as a hypothetical...

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If they trade JJ I doubt the sweetener is gonna be another contract. It’ll be a pick or a prospect.

Yeah. Only way I could see a team being able to take all that cap on is if we retain on JJ as well.

And if we retain on JJ AND trade Rust, yikes.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think it deserves it's own thread and has been discussed quite a bit. Majority of people think moving Rust because we have to move JJ would be a bad idea. Pretty simple, IMO>

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
It depends on what they get back.

If they're using Rust just to dump Johnson, then obviously I want nothing to do with it. If they actually get a decent player back, then would it be worth it? Maybe. It all really depends on how everyone else steps up. I think people really underrate what a guy like Rust means to this team, that said, if guys like Kahun, Tanev, Simon, McCann or whoever they get back for Rust can step up then I'd say it's well worth it.

Reactions: John Titor

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Trading Rust is a horrible idea unless it brings back a player to strengthen a weakness or rids us of JJ. People act like we're trading Rust for no reason. :laugh:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Majority? I personally saw Rust as a big detriment to last years team. Tomato/tomato

Yes.. your post illustrates everything I said. You are clearly, and often, in the minority of opinion. And that is fine. That's the awesome part of message boards. But you've fallen flat on your face often. And hey - we all have. So it is what it is. But yes - you obviously know you are often in the vast minority of opinions. :laugh:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Majority? I personally saw Rust as a big detriment to last years team. Tomato/tomato

I think Rust's struggles early in the year were a big reason the team looked so bad for much of the season. He's a streaky player in a lineup that needed him to be a consistent contributor. IMO it says more about the roster construction than it does about him, though, because the success of the team shouldn't depend on a middle-of-the-road utility player regularly scoring.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
If we need to trade Rust to rid ourselves of Jack Johnson then Rutherford should be kicked out the door.

Horrible ego signing from day 1 signing Johnson.

Reactions: TheTang58

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Two part answer -

The first part is that after MP took a bridge contract and we only have to make a minimal move to get cap compliant, there is no point in trading Rust (or anyone we think will have a sizable role) for anything that isn't at least neutral in the Win Now department.

The second part is that after last season I don't get why people see Rust as being notably more valuable than our other depth players. He was okay, nothing majorly bad, but I don't think he distinguished himself from the herd. If he can't back to his best form regularly this season, the trade talk will come back and get louder.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Two part answer -

The first part is that after MP took a bridge contract and we only have to make a minimal move to get cap compliant, there is no point in trading Rust (or anyone we think will have a sizable role) for anything that isn't at least neutral in the Win Now department.

The second part is that after last season I don't get why people see Rust as being notably more valuable than our other depth players. He was okay, nothing majorly bad, but I don't think he distinguished himself from the herd. If he can't back to his best form regularly this season, the trade talk will come back and get louder.

He has the actual results. Everything else is just statistical prediction which I respect, but as we’ve seen with Carolina statistical prediction only gets you so far. Granted last year it finally clicked for them.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He has the actual results. Everything else is just statistical prediction which I respect, but as we’ve seen with Carolina statistical prediction only gets you so far. Granted last year it finally clicked for them.

I would consider last year's stats to be results - there's a number of ways to interpret them, some in his favour and some not.

I think that based on statistical predictions, or at least the only one I've seen, Rust's a guy you'd try to keep even with the current situation - but then that was based on more than last year's stats. Give me 17-18 Rust and I'd probably be a bit more interested in keeping him as well.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I would consider last year's stats to be results - there's a number of ways to interpret them, some in his favour and some not.

I think that based on statistical predictions, or at least the only one I've seen, Rust's a guy you'd try to keep even with the current situation - but then that was based on more than last year's stats. Give me 17-18 Rust and I'd probably be a bit more interested in keeping him as well.

So 3 less points and 5more goals makes us not want to keep him?

The team was terrible until December when Rust broke out of the shackles of Brassard and Sheahan.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Ehhhhh.... Im not one to usually get hugely worked up at trading a bottom 6 player, which is what Rust is. Hes a streaky player who struggled last year, hes also making a lot of coin for what he does. Would I trade him for scraps? No. Would I trade him in a hockey trade or as a part of a deal with JJ? Easily yes. Hes also terribly miscast when on Crosby's wing, he sucks there and Id trade him just to make sure that doesnt happen.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So 3 less points and 5more goals makes us not want to keep him?

The team was terrible until December when Rust broke out of the shackles of Brassard and Sheahan.

You know me well enough to know I'm not looking at his individual points there.

And the team righting itself had a lot of different components iirc; enough that I'm not crediting Rust all that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad