Speculation: Bryan Rust

BronzeSpruce

Mar 14, 2011
I don't think you understand how bad Jack Johnson is at hockey. His detriment to this team is much worse than Rust's benefit.

And yes, you would just be adding Rust to get rid of JJ. And it'd be 100% worth it.

Shipping our assets to get rid of mistakes isn’t a good practice. Sure you can get rid of any contract but at what cost? The cupboard is bare.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Rust is the 55th highest paid RW this coming season according to Capfriendly. He has also been the 54th and 49th most productive RW - not ppg, or p/60, or parsing for 5v5 or anything, just straight up points - the last two.

If that a slightly overpaid bottom 6 player then there's not enough top 6 players in the NHL to go around and far more of the NHL are overpaid than Rust.

Over the last three years, we have outscored the opposition and have been expected to outscore the opposition by 4% more with Hornqvist and no Rust on the ice compared to Rust with no Hornqvist on the ice - and they have fairly similar cumulative ice times in the top 6.

Rust has a higher p/60 than Hornqvist in this period, but by all of 0.07%. That's hardly destroying.

They played one minute together.

And it's strange how someone who dominates everywhere other than the first line so rarely has better possession stats with the 2nd or 3rd line centre than he does with the first line centre.

are you using P/60 at 5v5?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Shipping our assets to get rid of mistakes isn’t a good practice. Sure you can get rid of any contract but at what cost? The cupboard is bare.

Rust is not integral. But it does suck to have to overpay to get rid of overpays.

Also, the cupboard is not that bare.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
To me, he defines the "get paid, get lazy". He's a shell of what he brought 2 years ago.

That said, I like his speed. That's all he has though. He's not a sniper, he's not a playmaker, he's not a grinder...he's a fast forechecker. We have similar players for far less than 3.5mil.

With that...I want to keep Rust. Can't say that enough.

Reactions: EightyOne

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Shipping out assets to get rid of mistakes is just reality though. You can't have Jack Johnson on this team if you want to seriously contend for Cups again, and the only way I can see to rid ourselves of the guy is to package him with an asset that's got some value. The only guys that really make sense in that regard are Rust and Bjugstad, and I'd rather trade the bottom-6 winger, which we have in droves, than the 3C. To clarify, I think Rust is a better player/fit than Bjugstad and happen to love Rust, but Jack Johnson is bad enough that it's worth losing Rust if that's what it takes to rid ourselves of JJ.

Even if we just bury him in WBS (which isn't going to happen because this organization doesn't operate under that sort of killer instinct, cut-throat style) until we can pay Seattle to take him, we're still going to end up losing an asset then, and in all likelihood it's going to be Rust or Bjugstad anyway.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Didnt take long for Jack Johnson to get brought up in a Rust thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad