Bryan Murray on the team 1200 at 3:05 today.

Berserker*

-Thinks Ceci is a longer term project but will look at him at camp.
-Very happy with Bishop and Lehner gonna take a hard look at both of them.
- Thinks the team is tough enough but if not he'll have to address it .

I am going to speculate that this will be an issue and that it will become painstakingly evident very soon. Firstly, the shortened season will increase the intensity of play among all players because each game has become more important in determining whether or not a team makes the playoffs. Aside from that, there is now a much more powerful incentive to target star players and try and take them out of the game or a stretch of games. Therefore the rats in the league should be running wild.

IMO the senators won't be in a good position for this. We have a handful of injury prone players (Lattendresse, Michalek, Regin and to a lesser extent Spezza and Alfie) that are very likely to miss a significant amount of time due to injuries from the increased physical play.

On top of that, we aren't really in a great position because the strength of our depth comes from our prospects. Those prospects are too new to the NHL to carry the load offensively. So we will likely go on a losing streak if we lose a few of Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie and Michalek to injuries for any length of time. Hell even if those players can be taken off their game from the lack of time and space could severely negatively impact the success of the team this season.

John Holmes*

I am going to speculate that this will be an issue and that it will become painstakingly evident very soon. Firstly, the shortened season will increase the intensity of play among all players because each game has become more important in determining whether or not a team makes the playoffs. Aside from that, there is now a much more powerful incentive to target star players and try and take them out of the game or a stretch of games. Therefore the rats in the league should be running wild.

None of those things happened in 1995.

General Granny*

Its a 48 game season, toughness won't matter at all.

General Granny*

Plus Borocop if he's in the lineup and Methot could fight, as well as Greening.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Methot is tougher than Foligno and we don't have to worry about him getting 35 goaltender interference calls against him.

Sure but we also lost Carkner, Konopka. Cowen won't be there either. Who's replacing them?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

IMO the senators won't be in a good position for this. We have a handful of injury prone players (Lattendresse, Michalek, Regin and to a lesser extent Spezza and Alfie) that are very likely to miss a significant amount of time due to injuries from the increased physical play.

On top of that, we aren't really in a great position because the strength of our depth comes from our prospects. Those prospects are too new to the NHL to carry the load offensively. So we will likely go on a losing streak if we lose a few of Karlsson, Spezza, Alfie and Michalek to injuries for any length of time. Hell even if those players can be taken off their game from the lack of time and space could severely negatively impact the success of the team this season.
While I don't think Ottawa is very tough now, I think the team toughness issue will be addressed over time when some of our Bingo prospects will be not just NHL ready but making a difference in the NHL. A number of players projected to make Ottawa in the next few yrs from Bingo are already bigger & some tougher than some of the players they will replace like Condra, Daugavins, Regin, Gonchar & Alfredsson. I see the future of this team like this plus whoever they sign as free agents or trade for.

Silfverberg - Spezza - Michalek
Zibanejad - Turris - Noesen
Greening - Grant - Stone
Dzuirzynski - Z. Smith - Neil/JOB

Cowen - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Gryba/Sdao/Sustre

Lehner - Anderson/Driedger

Oct 10, 2010
Sure but we also lost Carkner, Konopka. Cowen won't be there either. Who's replacing them?

Yeah, we are obviously not as tough as last season. People who don't think it matters is going to be in for a surprise.. Last years team success was in part because of the grittiness / toughness.

I just hope Murray is true to his word if we do have issues in that department this upcoming year.

Last years team was a pleasure to watch with the way the played.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Last year's success was because of:

Spezza and Karlsson

They stay healthy and continue to dominate and we will be fine. If they get injured and miss >6 games and we will suck. It's just that simple.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Spezza and Karlsson

They stay healthy and continue to dominate and we will be fine. If they get injured and miss >6 games and we will suck. It's just that simple.

anderson says: not that simple

Oct 10, 2010

Spezza and Karlsson

of course they were a big part of it, but you're blind if you think the grittiness / toughness didn't contribute to the surprising season.
Everyone knew not to mess with our star players or else something was going to happen. Not sure if that fear will be there this season.

Berserker*

It may not happen until next season but prospects like Dziurzynski, Borowiecki, Gryba and Sdao could all be pushing for spots. If a few of them make the team and Murray signs Pierre Cedric Labrie to be the 12/13th forward then we will have replaced the lost toughness and in turn upped the skill level of the tough players.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out

Carkner played 29 games last season. Hurt for most of the season. averaged 11 minutes a game.

Konopka played 55 while healthy. meaning he was scratched for 27 games. He averaged 7 minutes a game.

Cowen had 2 fights last year. Methot will make up for those lost hits and then some.

Konopka's fights were "hey wanna go?" fights. There is no point to those anymore.

Carkner was great in the playoffs when he went after the Rangers for messing with Karlsson.

If we are suffering, Murray will get us a heavy weight. I just don't see us needing one.

Berserker*

Carkner played 29 games last season. Hurt for most of the season. averaged 11 minutes a game.

Konopka played 55 while healthy. meaning he was scratched for 27 games. He averaged 7 minutes a game.

Cowen had 2 fights last year. Methot will make up for those lost hits and then some.

Konopka's fights were "hey wanna go?" fights. There is no point to those anymore.

Carkner was great in the playoffs when he went after the Rangers for messing with Karlsson.

If we are suffering, Murray will get us a heavy weight. I just don't see us needing one.

I think that when anyone assess Carkner and Konopka, they need to consider how their presence on the team contributed to the team toughness mentality. Aside from that their actions and play in the playoffs added to the team's success.

Although their play on the ice most of the season left a lot to be desired. That is why I am an advocate of replacing their toughness with more skilled tough players. It may not happen until next season, but I would like to see Dziurzynski and Labrie replace Konopka's role up front and two of Borowiecki, Gryba and Sdao replace Carkner's role on the back end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad