Bryan Murray on the team 1200 at 3:05 today.

Berserker*

Speed & Skill > 4th line goon

Having tough and physical players who have decent speed and skill is better than both. Prospects like Dziurzynski and Grant come to mind and Labrie is a free agent this off season and he has decent speed and skill for an "enforcer" type.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Carkner played 29 games last season. Hurt for most of the season. averaged 11 minutes a game.

Konopka played 55 while healthy. meaning he was scratched for 27 games. He averaged 7 minutes a game.

Cowen had 2 fights last year. Methot will make up for those lost hits and then some.

Konopka's fights were "hey wanna go?" fights. There is no point to those anymore.

Carkner was great in the playoffs when he went after the Rangers for messing with Karlsson.

If we are suffering, Murray will get us a heavy weight. I just don't see us needing one.

Toughness isn't just 'fights'. It's also being physical, intimidating, etc. and we lost a ton of toughness this off-season, that's all. Sure Methot is nice and all but he's not even going to come close to replacing the contribution these players made and it's not going to be fixed by signing a heavyweight like you seem to think. I'd much rather have Murray signing or trading for guys who hit everything in sight and aren't afraid to drop the gloves once in a while. That is much more effective than heavyweights.

General Granny*

Yeah, we are obviously not as tough as last season. People who don't think it matters is going to be in for a surprise.. Last years team success was in part because of the grittiness / toughness.

I just hope Murray is true to his word if we do have issues in that department this upcoming year.

Last years team was a pleasure to watch with the way the played.

Carkner was gone for 2/3 of the season

Konopka was benched, scratched for most of the season and when they did play, they had the lowest ice time.

So you tell me where they added to our success.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I have no issues going into the season with what we have and seeing if we need to add toughness somewhere down the road. It's not like trading for a Konopka or Carkner type of player is going to cost an arm and a leg.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
team toughness is an attitude instilled by the coach, not one or two team scrappers. Everyone will stick up for everyone on this team.

Sure. Can't wait to see 180lbs Turris going after Lucic once he takes out Karlsson.

General Granny*

Sure. Can't wait to see 180lbs Turris going after Lucic once he takes out Karlsson.

You do know we still have Neil, Smith, Methot, Greening.

You act like we have nobody who knows how to swing their arms, we aren't as tough as we were last year but we're also not the ******* you are suggesting.

You have watched too much Goon.

Emerica

May 29, 2010

You act like we have nobody who knows how to swing their arms, we aren't as tough as we were last year but we're also not the ******* you are suggesting.

I'm not saying that at all. I don't want goons. I want players who can hit, not scared of dropping the gloves and can play. Just like the players we lost.

I want to be like Boston god dammit. :sarcasm:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Well, to be fair I think Matt Carkner would instill more fear in Lucic than any of those guys you mentioned.

How tough is Methot by the way? Anyone know?

ErikKarlsson

The Best (per IOC)
Oct 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Sign Eaton to a 1 year deal.

Methot-Karlsson
Phillips-Gonchar
Eaton-Wiercioch

Once Lundin returns he takes the spot of Wiercioch or Eaton depending on who has played better.

Berserker*

team toughness is an attitude instilled by the coach, not one or two team scrappers. Everyone will stick up for everyone on this team.

It helps when you have a handful of tough players leading the way though. It's kind of like the fact that you can't be a fast team without a bunch of players that are fast and are good skaters. It can be difficult to be a tough team without a handful of tough players.

Berserker*

I'm not saying that at all. I don't want goons. I want players who can hit, not scared of dropping the gloves and can play. Just like the players we lost.

I want to be like Boston god dammit. :sarcasm:

Murray could trade for a guy like Cal Clutterbuck.

Berserker*

Part of team toughness is the overall physicality of a team. At this point, I don't think the sens have the right personnel to be effective physically.

Emerica

May 29, 2010

That would be awesome.

ohyes-2.gif

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008

I honestly can't think of a piece we have that would work in a swap for Clutterbuck. Turris, Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek, Cowen are the only guys who could land Clutterbuck, and they're all obviously way too good to trade for Cal. I suspect it is pretty similar with prospects. A guy like Puempel or Noesen probably isn't enough, likely not even Ceci... then Zibanejad, Lehner, and Silf are too much. The closest I could see for a trade would be... Stone? I dunno. The Sens are filled with guys who you either just don't trade, or guys who wouldn't fetch enough in a trade given what they could end up being.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Well, to be fair I think Matt Carkner would instill more fear in Lucic than any of those guys you mentioned.

How tough is Methot by the way? Anyone know?

To be fair I don't think there is a player in the NHL that instills fear in Lucic, including Carks.

Methot isn't a fighter.

Berserker*

I honestly can't think of a piece we have that would work in a swap for Clutterbuck. Turris, Spezza, Karlsson, Michalek, Cowen are the only guys who could land Clutterbuck, and they're all obviously way too good to trade for Cal. I suspect it is pretty similar with prospects. A guy like Puempel or Noesen probably isn't enough, likely not even Ceci... then Zibanejad, Lehner, and Silf are too much. The closest I could see for a trade would be... Stone? I dunno. The Sens are filled with guys who you either just don't trade, or guys who wouldn't fetch enough in a trade given what they could end up being.

I agree, I don't think we would be willing to move the assets needed to acquire him. Tough/physical players who actually have some skill are a valuable commodity. I still think that we could in part solve the toughness issue by giving Dziurzynski a spot and trading for or signing (in the off season) Pierre Cedric Labrie.

They are both pretty big (Dizzy 6'3 218 lbs, Labrie 6'3 234 lbs) both can skate and both have put up around 30 points in the AHL, so they have decent skill. Then you get Neil to take them under his wing and help develop them so when he retires, we have a few guys to take over his role.

Overall I think my main issue with the overall toughness of this team is lack they aren't physical enough; they don't have enough mean players that are willing to agitate and make some big hits. Our bottom six isn't nearly physical enough and we rely to heavily on Neil to take over the physical side of the game.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Glad to hear he's addressing the D.

lol of course, all the problems we are talking about here, they talk about it even more... That's their everyday job

I sincerely doubt that.

If the reports that no one knows what's going on with Mika then it's for the best that Murray said nothing.
The fact that he was not mentioned indicates that there is no good news, which is definitely worrisome.

Isn't Zibanejad skating and practicing already?

Well we still have Neil and Smith, and to a lesser extent JOB that can keep other teams in check. I don't think we'll need much more this season.

And we have plenty of guys that are built solidly (Latendresse, Michalek, Greening, Phillips for example). Even if they are not mean and particularly "physical", we are not going to get pushed around. Jared Cowen will be missed though. Methot will provide some toughness too

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
http://proxy.autopod.ca/podcasts/chum/186/10610/130107 bryan murray on the drive.mp3

here's the interview if you listen at around 7:10 he talks about how he talked to other GM's about the sens surplus that they might have to get what they need it's like a normal your there and we'll trade uhhgg uhhh try to take our time and find the right fit.

sounds like he accidentally said trade i think he's trying to move some forward prospects for D prospects or forwards for D in general. it only makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad