Player Discussion: Bryan Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Little has not had a great year but there is too much of the whay have you done for me latey mentality on here. It was only last season that he was playing excellent hockey. Down years happen, it doesn't make the player a useless bum who is now on crippling contract. I fully expect him to bounce back to a 55 point scorer next season.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
Little has a nmc clause till 20-21, so I highly doubt he will be moved.

The contracts of Morrissey, Laine, helly, Lowry and trouba (if he wants to stay long term) will dictate what will happen to the roster. I could see Myers being moved if trouba resigns as there will be too much money invested long term in defence. Also, wheeler will either be resigned and traded in the off season or early next season if he cannot be resigned. He is worth to much to be traded as a rental. Not saying I want him traded but it all comes down to numbers and what wheelers salary and term demands are.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I just don't think there is any possibility of keeping all of our young players regardless of what happens to the vets.

Through smart management we should be able to keep them around with bridge deals and the like but at some point we won't have room for the money these guys will need.

That's my idea anyways.
You may be right, but we will have a few years to make those decisions.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The only way of likely getting rid of Little, if necessary, is exposing him to Seattle if he is willing to waive his NMC.

There are plenty of ways. If his play reached that level, a buyout in a summer down the line (say 2020) wouldn't kill them, would push the real dead money past the contending window. It's not that dire though.

Reactions: ps241

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The problem with Little’s contract is we may have to get rid of a player who’s even better and well liked than him.
Maybe, but guys like him arent that easy to replace. Yes, he's just a 50-60 pt guy who plays decent D and wins faceoffs, but are any of Copp, Roslovic, Petan, Lowry gonna be better C's?. Probably not. Stastny wont be back, so next year we will be needing C depth even with Little. I completely understand some of the disenchantment with his play currently, but I see it as matter of fine tuning some details as opposed to a declining player. Very common for 1st year of a contract to be rough too.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
My modest proposal: every time you feel moved to rant about Little, mosey on over to the Caps board and check in on Oshie. Little is having an off year for sure, but he is nowhere near the roster plague he’s being made out to be here lately. Oh vey.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Maybe, but guys like him arent that easy to replace. Yes, he's just a 50-60 pt guy who plays decent D and wins faceoffs, but are any of Copp, Roslovic, Petan, Lowry gonna be better C's?. Probably not. Stastny wont be back, so next year we will be needing C depth even with Little. I completely understand some of the disenchantment with his play currently, but I see it as matter of fine tuning some details as opposed to a declining player. Very common for 1st year of a contract to be rough too.
I think Roslo will be better than Little is right now and will be for the next 3 years. I'm not comparing the two in their prime as little is out of his prime.

Reactions: Ippenator

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
If the Jets could trade for a player like Little we'd be excited to get him. Bad year like Enstrom last year......he bounced back fine so will Little. Little may become a playoff warrior this year. I've suggested before to give him a go as 3rd line RW, I think he would excel with a bit less responsibility. JMO

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
If the Jets could trade for a player like Little we'd be excited to get him. Bad year like Enstrom last year......he bounced back fine so will Little. Little may become a playoff warrior this year. I've suggested before to give him a go as 3rd line RW, I think he would excel with a bit less responsibility. JMO
I disagree. We would be like where should we put him? He can't go on our top 2 lines look at how few points he has scored lately for that other team. Than we would be like, while that's a lot of money for a rental defensive player like Lowry. You nailed it all in that second sentence bad year, you wouldn't be happy for someone who is having a bad year. If he was on an old contract or if we could move him at any point in the next 3 years we would be happy. It's the thought that he has declined and we just bought him for 4 more years and won't be able to trade him if he continues to decline.

Reactions: Ippenator

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Do you honestly think Little and Buff will be any better or faster in 3 years in their mid thirties.

Besides Wheeler and Enstrom they are the last of the Atlanta core.

I don't think either will be better or faster no.

That said I can think of a few other veteran guys around the league that despite not being as good as they were are still contributing members to good hockey teams.

Guys like Kesler and Chara etc.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I don't think either will be better or faster no.

That said I can think of a few other veteran guys around the league that despite not being as good as they were are still contributing members to good hockey teams.

Guys like Kesler and Chara etc.
Kesler and Chara have been always such defensive masterminds, that even when their decline has started they are much more valuable than most other veterans. And they both have a real special thing about them that age will not really affect much or at all. For Chara it is his size and reach combined with his excellent defensive skills and IQ and for Kesler it is the similar kind of excellent defensive skills and those combined with the leagues top class faceoff skills. They just are in the league of their own with their special skills, compared to Little or even Buff, and also compared to most of the veterans in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: tntkid and hudster

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
there is a text at the top of the chart that explains them as best possible.

As was said percentiles. If that isnt enough I'll try and explain further
This is the kind on non-answer given by someone who can't explain the issue because they themselves don't understand it.

Anyway, I haven't watched Little too much before the last two seasons so don't really know how he looked like before. But his play to me looks and statwise is comparable to other ~50 point centermen in the NHL. He fills his role well and his salary is what you have to pay to get what he brings to a team. I don't see an issue here really, although the new contract could be a little bit too long.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Little kinda fits into the Bozak of the Leafs.. Nice careers, but when younger guys are better and are going to get big raises, there just might not enough playing time and money on their long time NHL teams.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Little had a 52 point average before this season.
He is on pace for 45 this year.
Is 7 points off such a bad year?

He hardly had a limp after the game when he walked by during Helle's interview. He will play tonight....I read someone was wondering if he was going to play today.

Last edited:

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
This is the kind on non-answer given by someone who can't explain the issue because they themselves don't understand it.

Anyway, I haven't watched Little too much before the last two seasons so don't really know how he looked like before. But his play to me looks and statwise is comparable to other ~50 point centermen in the NHL. He fills his role well and his salary is what you have to pay to get what he brings to a team. I don't see an issue here really, although the new contract could be a little bit too long.

How is this a non answer?

Do you understand percentiles?

If no, I'll explain further. Its a little disappointing people are too lazy to even read and look at the whole chart....

Probably because it tells them things that challenge their beliefs.

Last edited by a moderator:

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Kesler and Chara have been always such defensive masterminds, that even when their decline has started they are much more valuable than most other veterans. And they both have a real special thing about them that age will not really affect much or at all. For Chara it is his size and reach combined with his excellent defensive skills and IQ and for Kesler it is the similar kind of excellent defensive skills and those combined with the leagues top class faceoff skills. They just are in the league of their own with their special skills, compared to Little or even Buff, and also compared to most of the veterans in the league.
Buff thinks the game as good as Chara and Little is better at faceoffs than Kesler.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg

Those were just 2 examples there are plenty others.

Let's just pretend the Jets ditch their vets.... Little. Wheels, Myers Kuli, Buff and MP over the next 3 years.

O'connor-chef-Laine
Ehlers-roslo-appleton
Vesalainen-lowry-armia
Lemieux-copp-spacek

JoMo-Trouba
Niku-poolman
Stanely?-?

That's counting on a lot of young players hitting their ceilings.....

Personally I feel a lot better with buff and little in that line up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad