Player Discussion: Bryan Little

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Nmc drive me insane because if your doing your job the team wont want to trade you. You don't need that claus unless you know you'll go downhill.
Little's NMC is only for the first 2 years of the contract. After that he submits a 14 team list every year.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
Haven't felt Little has hurt us this year... but he hasn't helped us enough for what we're paying him, IMO.

Potential to have this contract look REALLY bad in the next few years.....

We are only paying him 4 mil and change.... Close to MP and almost half of what Statsny was getting paid to put up the same number of points...

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Just like Stastny, Brassard, McD (the other one)..... Oh wait....

He takes less money for that NMC....
I'd rather pay him an extra quarter to half million a year and have the option of moving him whenever it is best for the team.
We are only paying him 4 mil and change.... Close to MP and almost half of what Statsny was getting paid to put up the same number of points...
Statsny if he played with Ehlers and Laine all season like Little has, based on the small sample of what he has already produced would have twice as many points as Little has. Linemates matter and Little has had two good ones the whole season. Yet, seems to be on pace to be slightly below average in points.

Reactions: Ippenator

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd rather pay him an extra quarter to half million a year and have the option of moving him whenever it is best for the team.

Statsny if he played with Ehlers and Laine all season like Little has, based on the small sample of what he has already produced would have twice as many points as Little has. Linemates matter and Little has had two good ones the whole season. Yet, seems to be on pace to be slightly below average in points.

Do you know who Statsny was playing with in St. Louis over the last 4 years....

They weren't offensive slouches....

Then again Tarasenko is a bit of a bum

You're making a lot of assumptions based on a tiny sample size

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yes they do, there are a lot of deeply knowledgeable hockey people on this forum, who see many things that happen on the ice and have a very good understanding of good hockey and good hockey players. You don't do yourself any favours with dismissive comments like these.
I said SOME people. And I agree otherwise with what you posted here generally.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Do the math?

Your post of the future shows an exceptionally narrow view of how to manage players and the cap.

Besides the fact my post mainly pointed out trading Wheeler under any circumstances as stupid.

You stated that opinion with nothing to back it up. Are you now referencing that statement in order to prove it is a fact? Looks that way.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There are plenty of ways. If his play reached that level, a buyout in a summer down the line (say 2020) wouldn't kill them, would push the real dead money past the contending window. It's not that dire though.

So your goal is 1 and done?
I'm planning on contending for the next 20+ years.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
You stated that opinion with nothing to back it up. Are you now referencing that statement in order to prove it is a fact? Looks that way.

To the heart of the matter is this.

Whether we resign Wheeler or not trading him before the end of next year would seem silly.

The only circumstances that I could see it happening is if we are tanking next year and he is moved at the deadline.

Even if we can't keep him like the OP stated why would we ever move him?

Much like T.O. I'd assume we'd at least keep him as our own rental for the playoffs next year.

Do you see another situation with reference to the OP I quoted?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think Roslo will be better than Little is right now and will be for the next 3 years. I'm not comparing the two in their prime as little is out of his prime.

Yes, that is an opinion. Not much to base it on so far.
In his D+3, Little played 79 games in the NHL. He scored 51 pts - with 31 goals.
In his D+3 Roslovic has so far played 26 NHL games. He has scored 10 pts with 3 goals. Of course Roslo could get in another 14 games. At his current pace that would see him hit ~15 pts on the season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Those were just 2 examples there are plenty others.

Let's just pretend the Jets ditch their vets.... Little. Wheels, Myers Kuli, Buff and MP over the next 3 years.

O'connor-chef-Laine
Ehlers-roslo-appleton
Vesalainen-lowry-armia
Lemieux-copp-spacek

JoMo-Trouba
Niku-poolman
Stanely?-?

That's counting on a lot of young players hitting their ceilings.....

Personally I feel a lot better with buff and little in that line up

That looks like a lineup just good enough to get us bad odds in the lottery. :laugh:

Don't like your 3rd pair D though. Based on current information it would be; Chiarot - Green.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Whether we resign Wheeler or not trading him before the end of next year would seem silly.

The only circumstances that I could see it happening is if we are tanking next year and he is moved at the deadline.

Much like T.O. I'd assume we'd at least keep him as our own rental for the playoffs next year.

If we are not keeping him long term he would bring a good return this off-season. If he is a pending UFA at the TD we would not move him unless we had pulled an Oilers and fell back that far next year.

I have never liked the standard practice of renting players, even own rentals. The prices are not commensurate with the effect. Paying what we did for Stastny was borderline at best for me. I could accept it only because he is a C. Even then it would have been hard to take if we were healthy at that position.

The off-season preceding the last contract year is the time to trade pending UFA's unless you still hope to retain them. Tavares is a good example. NYI could have had a bundle for him last summer. I think Snow still expects to sign him. JT may have other ideas though.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Yes, that is an opinion. Not much to base it on so far.
In his D+3, Little played 79 games in the NHL. He scored 51 pts - with 31 goals.
In his D+3 Roslovic has so far played 26 NHL games. He has scored 10 pts with 3 goals. Of course Roslo could get in another 14 games. At his current pace that would see him hit ~15 pts on the season.
I'm not comparing their primes. I'm comparing Little who is going to decline to a Roslovic who is going to get better as he gets closer to his Prime.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016

I would much rather move Wheeler in the off-season for 2 first round picks a roster player and a good prospect. With the way Chevy has been drafting those 2 picks will turn into great players. Otherwise, sign Wheeler for at least 3-4 years.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm not comparing their primes. I'm comparing Little who is going to decline to a Roslovic who is going to get better as he gets closer to his Prime.

That wasn't Little in his prime. That was Little at precisely the same point in his career as Roslo is now. If you simply extrapolate the indicated potential, the evidence that we have now does not support Roslo ever equalling what Little is now.

Fortunately we have a little more from Roslo to go on. The eye test is more promising, for one. But there is still not enough evidence to support your opinion. We need to wait for more to come in. Roslo may never even play C in the NHL.

Reactions: Dayofthedogs

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
That wasn't Little in his prime. That was Little at precisely the same point in his career as Roslo is now. If you simply extrapolate the indicated potential, the evidence that we have now does not support Roslo ever equalling what Little is now.

Fortunately we have a little more from Roslo to go on. The eye test is more promising, for one. But there is still not enough evidence to support your opinion. We need to wait for more to come in. Roslo may never even play C in the NHL.
But Little is not at the same point as Roslo is. He is in his declining years. There is no doubt if the two were the same age Little is the better player. Little is going into his thirties while Roslo is early twenties. I'd rather gamble on the younger horse.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
But Little is not at the same point as Roslo is. He is in his declining years. There is no doubt if the two were the same age Little is the better player. Little is going into his thirties while Roslo is early twenties. I'd rather gamble on the younger horse.
Point being, will Roslo ever become what Bryan Little was through his prime and ever become what Little is now when he reaches the same age. Evidence so far does not indicate that in comparing just their D+3 years.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Yes, those one game samples are very telling, much more so than half a decade of evidence.

:sarcasm:

What does his past seasons have to do with what he is doing right now? We are not arguing about the distant past but this season and beyond. Little being good or great 1st line center once upon a time doesn't help bring home the Stanley Cup. This remark makes absolutely no sense as the Jets are not entering the Cup of 14-15 but 18-19. Perhaps this is about daydreaming of the old days?

Nobody is jumping on the poster, when the posts are nothing but general opinions on a player and gross exaggerations, without any real facts or specific analysis of his game, people are left to just disagree with that opinion.

The funny part is Little isn't even that far off where he would normally be and has also been known to be a streaky scorer. While most posters agree that he is struggling, he has been nowhere near as bad as some have described and the suggestion that he's only going to get worse is nothing short of ridiculous. that's not an attack on a poster, that's an attack on an opinion.

Little is a far better hockey player than a lot of people are suggesting, thank goodness some people recognize that. I'll leave it there, this thread has degenerated much like the old Laine threads.

Nobody jumping on the poster, really?

You're comments seem to indicate you have a deeply biased and flawed opinion on what Little does....

You consider this casual non targeting discussion? M'kay.

He has struggled with most of the lines he has played in this season. The only working line I remember was Perrault - Little - Ehlers and afterwards the list goes short. If some people are worried when he cannot even get game going with his old partner Wheelers, can you really be that surprised or should I even say upset? You seem to quickly forget that the same people also want the best for the team.

How good of a player is he today exactly, in your honest opinion? Personally I have nothing against the guy and I'm sure he's a great team player and fantastic person and I truly hope he gets back into the game, but I see absolutely no reason to pretend someone is doing great when in fact he isn't. Why has this place turned into some kind of club where you're supposed to ignore what you see and keep your opinions to yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigfish

Oct 12, 2016
Those were just 2 examples there are plenty others.

Let's just pretend the Jets ditch their vets.... Little. Wheels, Myers Kuli, Buff and MP over the next 3 years.

O'connor-chef-Laine
Ehlers-roslo-appleton
Vesalainen-lowry-armia
Lemieux-copp-spacek

JoMo-Trouba
Niku-poolman
Stanely?-?

That's counting on a lot of young players hitting their ceilings.....

Personally I feel a lot better with buff and little in that line up
You're missing the players that we would get back by trading Little and Wheeler.
I would think you could get a good second line center for Wheeler. Maybe more. I wonder if Florida would trade Trocheck for Wheeler? Good young centerman on a good contract. You would also get a decent player for Little. You would save a ton of cash that would allow you to keep your up and coming youngsters and add some prospects to the pool.
I wouldn't trade Buff or MP and i would only trade one of Myers or Kuli.

O'connor-chef-Laine
MP -New # 2 centerman - Ehlers
Vesalainen-Roslo-armia
Lemieux-lowry-Copp

Spacek, Appleton, player we get for Little

JoMo-Trouba
Myers or Kuli - Buff
Niku-poolman
Stanely?-?

Doesn't look so bad.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Too bad Chevy didn't wait until this upcoming offseason to re-sign Little. He would have either let him go, or would have gotten him at a much lower rate.

Reactions: Ippenator

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Why? Because he is younger? I know lots of players younger than Little who are never going to play in the NHL at all. Being younger, by itself is nothing. Besides his age, what is there about Roslovic that makes you so confident that he will outperform even what Little is now, at age 30? Little is on a 45 pt pace. Roslovic is on a 32 pt pace. Will Roslovic get better? Probably. What form will that improvement take? All-around 2 way play? Scoring? A little of both? More likely the latter. How much better? Enough to exceed what Little is now? Maybe, maybe not. I think we will be lucky if he makes it to that level - in 3-4 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad