Post-Game Talk: Brutal non-call leads to Wings loss

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
it was an incredible game. Havent been this excited since our cup run year. There are couple areas Wings need to improve but if Wings keep playing at this level Wings prolly wont need to trade for anyone and our young players will have a great time learning. Also other teams will be too busy skating back as well and wont have much time to punish Wings physically. thus less injury.

I'm slightly skeptic if this level of performance can be sustained though. Obivously this team needs to be maintained very well.

Puddles

Mar 18, 2013
It was an excellent call. I mean dummy Kronwall tripped himself but it looked like a penalty at normal speed. Gotta give credit for that call. We are what we are. Win 1 game, lose another game. .500 team. No surprise.

It was a close call. Kronner falling down has nothing to do with the call. Stick in hands that is parallel to the ice is usually a penalty regardless of whether the guy falls down or not.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The non-call only sucks because it lead to a goal and they lost. I don't think there'd be as many complaints if it just happened and they went to overtime...and at least got a point out of the game. They played well enough to earn a point in that game.

Actual Thought*

Missed the game entirely.

1. Who was good?
2. Who was bad?
3. Tell me about Nyquist's goal.

Thanks in advance!

I thought the whole team looked pretty good overall with the 1st and 4th lines standing out.

Ericsson was so, so. Smith cost us a goal with a brain cramp but otherwise was good. Not a ton of breakdowns in the game but there were a few.

Nyquist's goal was a goal scorer's goal. He faked a slapper and dropped the goalie then wristed it right up in the top corner. He showed patience, poise, and skill all in one play. He will probably score 82 this year.:amazed:

The kid line looked just okay to me. I thought in both games 1 and 2 Jurco looks slow and kinda lost.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actual Thought*

The non-call only sucks because it lead to a goal and they lost. I don't think there'd be as many complaints if it just happened and they went to overtime...and at least got a point out of the game. They played well enough to earn a point in that game.

I agree. It is also worth pointing out that Getzlaf made a pretty sick play once he got the puck. He took it to the net and shot very quickly. Both Howie and E looked like they were in awe of what was happening. He handcuffed em both. I think when they thought it was a penalty everyone but Getzlaf stopped playing. I am much less concerned about losses they don't deserve than losses they do. I thought they deserved at least 1 point.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Usually a border-line call is called when it causes a turn over. Iffy calls typically won't get called if the guy gets hooked and the puck goes to the teammate - the equivalent of soccer's "advantage". I mean, if anything suspicious happens that leads to a guy getting a breakaway.... well....

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Despite the couple of really stupid mistakes that led to the loss, we played extremely well. I love this team so far, we're faster, more physical, and just more hardworking it seems than teams of the past five years or so.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Stick in the hands which effects to Kronwall's balance and he falls down. Obvious penalty. Period.

There was so many non-called interferences on the 3rd period, that almost throw up how the game was decided.

That god this was not game 7 at the playoffs. Only one regular season game and we are playing good hockey.

T Low

Oct 18, 2008
I thought the whole team looked pretty good overall with the 1st and 4th lines standing out.

Ericsson was so, so. Smith cost us a goal with a brain cramp but otherwise was good. Not a ton of breakdowns in the game but there were a few.

Nyquist's goal was a goal scorer's goal. He faked a slapper and dropped the goalie then wristed it right up in the top corner. He showed patience, poise, and skill all in one play. He will probably score 82 this year.:amazed:

The kid line looked just okay to me. I thought in both games 1 and 2 Jurco looks slow and kinda lost.

They could be a great 3rd line this season again, but they overmatched as a 2nd line.

I honestly think it's part of babcocks strategy since Datsyuk is down anyway:

Start the season with Nyquist vs 3rd pairing D so he can get hot and confident from the git go, because he will need confidence when he ends up in the top 6 soon.

Let the kids compete on the 2nd line. They may not shine, but they'll rise to the occasion and hold their own. Then they'll be slotted back into the 3rd line and accel even more than last year against other 3rd liners.

crashman

I can't believe so many of you thought it was a blown-call. After seeing the replay once, it was obvious that Kronwall just lost his footing when his skates hit the boards.

Obviously it's an unfortunate way to lose a game where the Wings played so well, but it was actually a very good non-call, and Getzlaf had a great shot on the game winner.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
You are still not allowed to put your stick on the hands of the puck carrier.

They will usually call it.

They didn't now. Lead to a loss in regulation. Oh well, as long as we don't miss the playoffs by 1 point, it doesn't matter.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You are still not allowed to put your stick on the hands of the puck carrier.

Yup and even that little bit can be used as explanation for Kronwall running into the kick plate. Kronwall still has to at least fall on the puck or force it into the corner, but that is a penalty especially in the modern NHL. I feel the same way every time I watch it and it looked even worse at speed which is how the officials viewed it too.

sakei

Anti-Kindl-Brigade
May 19, 2014
Zurich
Andersson had some glorious chances... guy just isn't a finisher.

there are two ways to look at it.. he will never be a great goal scorer, but imo last night he was good. there were so many games last season where he just went invisible for 99.5% of the game. now, he created chances and showed that he could be a reliable 4th liner if he learns how to bury those opportunities

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
You can not believe it, but in the offensive zone I would have said that is a penalty even on us. Not everyone has trouble admitting penalties both ways. That is a part of what makes this confusing though, like that is an offensive zone penalty only in nature. Granted stick in the hands while parallel to the ice is supposed to be a penalty all over. However, consistently it is only a penalty in that kind of scenario when it is going to lead directly to a chance. You cannot let it go there and I would say in the 90's out of 100 they don't let it go there. Maybe not 99 like Mick and Ken said, but it is called with a frequency that makes that call a head scratching call.

Franzen's "elbow" wasn't one. He checked player that tried to duck out of the hit with his shoulder and made solid contact. I will be curious to see how the Bruins react after seeing the replay. Lots of talk about him being a marked man from Bruins fans, I doubt even the bully Bruins took a lot of issue with that hit after the saw it in film study the next day.

I have not seen his comments today, but curious outside of probably owning to needing to be stronger on the puck did Kronwall say he expected the call? He is about as straight shooter as it gets, blames himself for almost everything and often way too much. But if Kronwall didn't like the non-call that would settle it for me. I have complained over the years over things that have happened to have him talk me straight out of it. Guy congratulated Koivu for a gut-wrenching OT loss where he demolished him before anyone touched the puck. They could have screamed interference, Kronwall had none of it, his reaction to me would be telling, though somewhat with a grain of salt as I expect him to shoulder the blame no matter what happens with this team. He really is a great leader and the guy I think you learn the most from when they interview the players.

Just prior to the goal, Franzen interfered with Getzlaf. If there was no call and no goal, I assume most people wouldn't be arguing about it. Definitely not on the Red Wings board. If there was one called, which would have stopped the play the second Getzlaf got to the puck, most would argue how the refs are giving the game away. We have enough examples from the past for me to conclude this.
Based on the interview, Kronwall himself seems unsure whether it was or it wasn't. He initially thought that it was...
I'm on the fence whether there was a penalty at all and I'm more than sure that even if Getzlaf made a tap on the hands, it had nothing to do with Kronwall tripping off the boards. Given that Franzen was just let off the hook himself, I can hardly say that Refs screwed us over. Just a bad timing of events more than anything.

Actual Thought*

On a side note wasn't Franzen guilty of interference just prior to the alleged penalty? The puck was pretty deep by the time Mule rode him into the boards. Does anyone else think that was a penalty?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
The take away I had from this game was how physical the wings can play if they want to. They were making the ducks look soft out there. The 5 mins after Glendenings goal they were killing everything thatmoved. Abdelkader crushed Etem, Glendening nailed someone and SMith tagged a guy behind the net hard.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
On a side note wasn't Franzen guilty of interference just prior to the alleged penalty? The puck was pretty deep by the time Mule rode him into the boards. Does anyone else think that was a penalty?

Nyquist should have drawn an interference penalty the play before that, too.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Depends on how strict you want to call it. Normally as soon as a guy chips it if you weren't in his way before you can't get in his way afterwards.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The interference calling was pretty lax all night for both sides. There where a # of times last night I was like wow they didn't call that on x player with x being individuals from both teams. So in other words it was a standard WC game.

The call sucked but it doesn't matter. Game over on to the next one. It was fun watching our team though last night. And aside from like 1-2 lines last year the entire team was worth watching. Not sure how physical we will be over the course of the entire year but it was nice to see our team not take it on the chin for once. Granted they (ducks) are a team that we have built up a lot of emnity with over the years due to many playoff series so it wouldn't surprise me if a # of players on our team always feel like stepping it up a notch and playing a playoff like intensity when we meet up with them.

Actual Thought*

Depends on how strict you want to call it. Normally as soon as a guy chips it if you weren't in his way before you can't get in his way afterwards.

That's what I thought. I don't really care about the penalty. I am just happy to see the way they have played. If they continue to play that way they will win most nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad