Post-Game Talk: Brutal non-call leads to Wings loss

Bob Probert Owns You

Sep 25, 2007
MI
If the Wings play consistently like tonight, this will be a great season to watch. The effort was undeniable, and the team speed is noticeably improved.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Yeah, which was and should always be a penalty.

Why would you want Detroit fans to complain about that?

You missed the point. Was Franzen's elbow not a penalty right before the? According to our fanbase, no. (at the time at least) At the time it was the refs trying to get Boston to score... You can go back and read it. Had they called the interference on Franzen tonight, you would have people saying the same thing... You know that very well. In other words, we want refs to be consistent except we don't really know in which way. Consistently calling penalties or consisently letting the players paly? No we just argue every which way whenever the call is not to our teams benefit.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If the Wings play consistently like tonight, this will be a great season to watch. The effort was undeniable, and the team speed is noticeably improved.

These first couple games have felt like playoff games to me. Close, tight checking with high intensity. I'd like to think starting the season off against all these good teams will get them rolling into mid-season form earlier than usual.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Invictus: if a stick goes to the midsection, makes contact with the players hands and at the very least looks like it makes him fall then I would expect them to call it. That's how they normally call it.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Invictus: if a stick goes to the midsection, makes contact with the players hands and at the very least looks like it makes him fall then I would expect them to call it. That's how they normally call it.

Would you be arguing the same had it been reversed? Would you be arguing what the ref should have saw in fast motion?

Look, I'm not happy about the loss tonight but I hardly think this one particular thing is what did it. Quite frankly, the way the team played, they absolutely shouldn't have been tied at that point in time in my eyes. I'm more ticked at their ability to finish plays and not make such costly mistakes that were made by Smith and Howard. What happened to Kronwall is once in a blue moon type of thing. Smith and Howard were just horrible judgment calls...

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
They also missed an interference on Franzen secs before too that would have stopped play. We got screwed both ways. We would have at least a point if either penalty was called.

I actually would have been okay with them calling Franzen because of how well our PK has done.

All and all, blown call aside i've been very impressed with this team so far. Alot faster and more aggressive, even the defense has been considerably better, and this is all without Datsyuk in the lineup.

spost

Oct 12, 2014
Hi everyone, I'm long time lurker here, made an account just to say that Brendan Smith has **** for brains.

Call or no call, ugly way to lose that game :s

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
smith will never be mistake-free guy. but the rewards will and are starting to outweigh the risks. he's getting better and better and i expect big things from him this season, real good breakout.

howard, learn to play the puck, god damn it.

glendening has improved his wheels.

kid line is going to be awesome, don't break it babcock.

disappointing ending but they played well. we play like this for this season, we'll be fine.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I actually would have been okay with them calling Franzen because of how well our PK has done.

All and all, blown call aside i've been very impressed with this team so far. Alot faster and more aggressive, even the defense has been considerably better, and this is all without Datsyuk in the lineup.

Obviously we should be a better team with him in, but keep in mind this assumes Babcock doesn't do something silly when he comes back. We were humming along pretty good right before Datsyuk returned last spring and Babcock tore apart all the chemistry on the team.

The Smith and DeKeyser pairing makes this team significantly better as does Jimmy bouncing back in my opinion.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You missed the point. Was Franzen's elbow not a penalty right before the? According to our fanbase, no. (at the time at least) At the time it was the refs trying to get Boston to score... You can go back and read it. Had they called the interference on Franzen tonight, you would have people saying the same thing... You know that very well. In other words, we want refs to be consistent except we don't really know in which way. Consistently calling penalties or consisently letting the players paly? No we just argue every which way whenever the call is not to our teams benefit.

You can not believe it, but in the offensive zone I would have said that is a penalty even on us. Not everyone has trouble admitting penalties both ways. That is a part of what makes this confusing though, like that is an offensive zone penalty only in nature. Granted stick in the hands while parallel to the ice is supposed to be a penalty all over. However, consistently it is only a penalty in that kind of scenario when it is going to lead directly to a chance. You cannot let it go there and I would say in the 90's out of 100 they don't let it go there. Maybe not 99 like Mick and Ken said, but it is called with a frequency that makes that call a head scratching call.

Franzen's "elbow" wasn't one. He checked player that tried to duck out of the hit with his shoulder and made solid contact. I will be curious to see how the Bruins react after seeing the replay. Lots of talk about him being a marked man from Bruins fans, I doubt even the bully Bruins took a lot of issue with that hit after the saw it in film study the next day.

I have not seen his comments today, but curious outside of probably owning to needing to be stronger on the puck did Kronwall say he expected the call? He is about as straight shooter as it gets, blames himself for almost everything and often way too much. But if Kronwall didn't like the non-call that would settle it for me. I have complained over the years over things that have happened to have him talk me straight out of it. Guy congratulated Koivu for a gut-wrenching OT loss where he demolished him before anyone touched the puck. They could have screamed interference, Kronwall had none of it, his reaction to me would be telling, though somewhat with a grain of salt as I expect him to shoulder the blame no matter what happens with this team. He really is a great leader and the guy I think you learn the most from when they interview the players.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Thank you Frk It and that is almost exactly what I expected from Kronwall in terms of owning the play even if he did think it was a penalty.

"Right off the bat I thought (there should have been a penalty), but I haven't seen the replay," Kronwall said. "Initially I thought it was his stick on my hands but again everything happened so fast. Regardless, though, I can't let that happen.

"After I went down, obviously you're just hoping the puck stays out of your net. This time he made a nice play. He's a good player."

I don't think they come more honest than Kronner in the league in terms of level headed breakdowns. If he thinks it's a penalty that is the clincher for me.

The Wings players themselves and the coaching staff doesn't do a whole lot of whining. Babcock is not Coach Q in terms of pontificating rants and hyperbole, the displeasure with this all around that article speaks volumes.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
It was an excellent call. I mean dummy Kronwall tripped himself but it looked like a penalty at normal speed. Gotta give credit for that call. We are what we are. Win 1 game, lose another game. .500 team. No surprise.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It was an excellent call. I mean dummy Kronwall tripped himself but it looked like a penalty at normal speed. Gotta give credit for that call. We are what we are. Win 1 game, lose another game. .500 team. No surprise.

Outplaying two top 10 teams in the league isn't what we have been for several years. Getting through their opening month at .500 would be huge with no Datsyuk and it being the roughest 10 game stretch of their season. For me it would almost insure the playoffs unless Kronwall goes down.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
smith will never be mistake-free guy. but the rewards will and are starting to outweigh the risks. he's getting better and better and i expect big things from him this season, real good breakout.

howard, learn to play the puck, god damn it.

glendening has improved his wheels.

kid line is going to be awesome, don't break it babcock.

disappointing ending but they played well. we play like this for this season, we'll be fine.
Yeah Kid line will get going soon. I think they will do a lot of damage against teams that aren't as deep as Anaheim/Boston.

Glendening is looking awesome. Improved speed and more involved offensively, as well as doing a lot of dirty work defensively and getting in the face of opposing players. 4th line as a whole is just playing great.

Howard's puck-management somehow is only getting worse. He looks good otherwise but this can 't keep hurting us or I will join the Mrazek for #1 bandwagon sooner than I thought.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!

I get where you're coming from, but I don't think we've seen two separate games where Detroit has controlled play - two games in a row, not like this, in at least a couple of years. I don't know, I want to think they can continue playing like this. Boston and Anaheim are two good teams, and Detroit played better than both of them. Anaheim lucked out, but if Detroit starts making good on more of their chances, they'll be better than a .500 team. If these two games are an indicator of the way they'll play for the rest of the season, I'm pretty excited about this hockey club.

Also, am I the only one that thinks Quincey has been pretty good? Much better start to the year this time around than last year for him. Nestrasil looks really good out there, too. I'm worried Jurco will end up being scratched in favor of Weiss/Cleary soon, and eventually the one sent down when Datsyuk comes back.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I get where you're coming from, but I don't think we've seen two separate games where Detroit has controlled play - two games in a row, not like this, in at least a couple of years. I don't know, I want to think they can continue playing like this. Boston and Anaheim are two good teams, and Detroit played better than both of them. Anaheim lucked out, but if Detroit starts making good on more of their chances, they'll be better than a .500 team. If these two games are an indicator of the way they'll play for the rest of the season, I'm pretty excited about this hockey club.

Also, am I the only one that thinks Quincey has been pretty good? Much better start to the year this time around than last year for him. Nestrasil looks really good out there, too. I'm worried Jurco will end up being scratched in favor of Weiss/Cleary soon, and eventually the one sent down when Datsyuk comes back.
I thought Jurco had a really good game last night. It's definitely a tough decision to scratch anyone from the current lineup. Nestrasil is doing a lot of good work in puck battles and plays a mature game. 4th line has been terrific. We need to get Datsyuk in there somehow without messing with too much chemistry, before we think about where Weiss fits in. Cleary? Not even Babcock or Holland can look at this team right now and believe Danny would come close to outplaying anyone in the lineup.

My suggestion when Pav returns:

Franzen-Z-Nyquist
Nestrasil-Dats-Helm
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader

Nyquist and Z look deadly anytime they're on the ice together so I want them full time.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
I watched the replay several times and i say that does get called >75% of the time. And i rescind my blame to ericcson when i realized he was covering passing lane. Hell of a shot by getz.
This team is fun to watch so far. Hoping for a good season

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Tough loss. Wings should've won. :( some bad breaks there.

But this team can compete.

My Goodness is Nyquist cool or what, calm enough to make the fake slap shot on a breakaway.

ZDatsZuke

This year, maybe
Mar 23, 2010
Been a long time since this team looked this good. Its exciting! Everone works hard, skates fast, and the puck goes even faster between them with barely any mishaps. Finally this is starting to look like a Red Wings team! :handclap:

Actual Thought*

It's a penalty for hooking in most situations. Anytime, in any league, a stick that gets up and interferes with the hands is a penalty. I'm not that upset over it because we clearly outplayed the Ducks and if we had a little luck on our side we'd have been up 3-1 or 3-2 before that play even transpired.

But a penalty is a penalty and that goal shouldn't have happened; I still think the bigger crime was Ericsson's defence on that final play.

I agree with this. It was a hook. Not a major hook but a penalty just the same. I thought the Wings deserved to get a point out of that game. They played quick. Their structure and their puck support have been very good. I thought the 4th line was great. Nyquist is on pace for 82 goals! I thought Ericsson was our worst defenceman notwithstanding Smith's blunder. All in all I like what I am seeing so far 2 games in. As I have said before I expect they will win the division and I don't see anything yet that would change my mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad