Post-Game Talk: Bruins win over Toronto 3-2

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
Just finished watching this on DVR. Nice ending.

The game turned on a simple switcheroo: Peverley taking on Lucic's usual relay role (as described by Neely08 on other threads) and passing the puck up to him in stride. I hope Julien takes note. Regardless of effort, Looch simply can't get that kind of speed going if he's prying pucks off the left wall while the other forwards are transitioning.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Just in from the game.

So happy that Looch scored. All the guys on the bench and behind the bench were thrilled too. Looked like the weight of the world (a fellow B's fan said this on the "T" after the game) was lifted from his shoulders.

Bergy !!!

Also good to see Tuukka win that shootout.

The ride home wasn't bad at all.

Now go beat those Habs !!!

Good NIght B's fans !

I was glad for Lucic when he scored a very nice goal tonight. I thought he looked good on Peverley's line.
Was that only Looch's 2nd goal scored at TD Garden this year?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
The Bruins had five shots at the Toronto net in OT; two were Reimer saves, two missed, and one was blocked. Toronto had four shots at the net; three were Rask saves; one was blocked. Heck, one of those Bruins shots was a wraparound try by Chara; what's he doing that deep in the zone in OT? Is that "playing not to lose"?

And in the final 30 seconds of OT, with a faceoff in the defensive zone, any coach with a brain is going to have the Selke winner and a great PKer on the ice together.

Umm...yeah. I thought the Bruins pushing.

As I was watching the OT I was a bit surprised at how much the Bruins were going for it vs a div rival. Gave up some odd man breaks against a team that thrives on that. Just caught me off guard, with Coach being Coach. That, and their goalie didn't look to be having the sharpest of nights. Thought SO made sense.

Funny how impressions of OT can differ.

...PS...Anyone else notice it seems like everyone elses shooters are scoring at like 70%?...it's crazy...:laugh:...

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Glad we beat the Laffs who are turning into a good team. Hate to have games when the 1st seder runs as late as it did, My oldest had to tell me the final score just as the seder ended.:(

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Just in from the game.

So happy that Looch scored. All the guys on the bench and behind the bench were thrilled too. Looked like the weight of the world (a fellow B's fan said this on the "T" after the game) was lifted from his shoulders.

Bergy !!!

Also good to see Tuukka win that shootout.

The ride home wasn't bad at all.

Now go beat those Habs !!!

Good NIght B's fans !

It's crazy. When he scored that goal, I actually got goosebumps. Not necessarily because of the actual goal itself (although it came off a great rush, and demonstrated some patience to watch the 5 hole for the right time), but because I even felt relief for the guy. He's struggled, I don't think anyone denies that....but you just knew how much scoring that goal meant to him....by extension, the whole team.

Good night. :)

Cory Trevor

Smokes, Let's go
Sep 23, 2009
Waltham
It's crazy. When he scored that goal, I actually got goosebumps. Not necessarily because of the actual goal itself (although it came off a great rush, and demonstrated some patience to watch the 5 hole for the right time), but because I even felt relief for the guy. He's struggled, I don't think anyone denies that....but you just knew how much scoring that goal meant to him....by extension, the whole team.

I'm the biggest Lucic hater there is but I gave a good solid expletive filled yell when he potted that goal:laugh: Very positive.

That was a great goal.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
Actual Caron did the board/relay work on that one. It is nice to have Lucic barreling in with speed once in a while but he by far our best player on the relay even if he does turn the puckover sometimes. They could use another big winger to do what Lucic does that might free him to work in open ice more.

Yes, you're right, Caron to Pevs, who swoops by at speed.

And reading some earlier posts, I notice Neely08 already broke this down anyhow, so my post was redundant to boot.

I'm getting caught behind the play.

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.

See, that's the kind of dramatic catharsis that's simply not available to bandwagoners. Those of us who sit there night after night and suffer through the slumps can get such a rush out of a goal like that, not just because of how it influences the scoreboard, but because of how it plays into a player's (and an entire team's) epic struggles.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
See, that's the kind of dramatic catharsis that's simply not available to bandwagoners. Those of us who sit there night after night and suffer through the slumps can get such a rush out of a goal like that, not just because of how it influences the scoreboard, but because of how it plays into a player's (and an entire team's) epic struggles.

Excellent term. That's exactly it. This is why I mentioned I love your contributions to this board.

It really was a perfect storm type sequence.

Team in a scoring slump, coming off a road loss to a team they've typically dominated....

Then that same team, now in your barn, puts you down 2-0 very quickly....

Indeed, you get a goal back, but you've been there before only to see the futility continue....cognizant you've got your biggest rival coming in two days and the games in hand end tonight....

Then the big oaf, the 6 million dollar whipping boy, beaten around these parts for his "laziness" and cement boots, rushes into the zone, strong on the puck but maintaining the speed on those cement boots, displays such careful stickwork, doesn't panic...and slides it sublimely to where Reimer can't stop it, lighting the lamp.

That was a great sequence for Milan and this team. I knew they were walking away with two after that.

Hard to write it better than that.

Bring on the Habs.

westernhome

Sep 21, 2011
I didn't realize winning in overtime was more valuable than in a shootout

just wondered why Montreal was still ahead of the Bruins in the standings, then dissected the fact that overtime wins are more valuable than shootout wins

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Phaneuf is so bad. LOL

enough said. If Paille finds a way to beat you in a one on one situation then you should probably reconsider your career choice as a defenseman haha

On second thought that wasn't meant to put Paille down. He has been pretty great. I've always been a bit of a Paille apologist so I feel vindicad now that he is having such a solid year. He might be one of the best contracts the bruins have

Last edited:

bruins04

Mar 3, 2007
yep, this is what the ROW or regulation and overtime wins tally corresponds to (nhl.com or basically any site with hockey standings these days). i think i still prefer a 3 point system that gives teams more incentive to try to win in regulation / ot

it's only the first tiebreaker, but an important one. i would imagine at least 1 tie within the playoff picture this year gets broken by the ROW count.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Good games. I am actually one of the few leaf fans that hopes for a Bruins vs Leafs playoff match-up, all 4 games this season have been essentially one goal games, and I've loved them.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Bergy is like that faithful dog who never let you down. What an amazing player...

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I don't think they were playing not to lose in OT.

I do think they were aggressive with caution and against a team with a lot of speed (Leafs at least in their forward corps have tons of speed) it is important not to lose your man.

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Maybe not but it seems to me like they just want to get to the shoot out and lay it all on Tuukka to win it for them and I don't think that's fair to him but JMHO though

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Glad we beat the Laffs who are turning into a good team. Hate to have games when the 1st seder runs as late as it did, My oldest had to tell me the final score just as the seder ended.:(

They are a competitive team, not yet sure, regardless of where they are in the standings that they are a "good" team. They have an offensively solid top 6, their bottom 6 are bruisers which is great, but we saw just how ineffective some of those guys are when the games start to be free flowing such as last night.

And their D is outright horrific who`s arse has been saved often by Reimer and Scrivens. They have survived by playing a trap game, over the course of this year it`s not uncommon to see this team consistently put up about 6 shots per period.

Our boys have had a few periods like that, but the Leafs are all about the trap but it`s good coaching from Carlyle. Unless he`s willing to go exclusively with his top two lines, he can`t constantly push the play

They are getting better, they are definitely more competitive and tough, but that D, if I were a Leaf fan, and huge uncertainty in goal with lack of experience would leave me more than a touch nervous heading down the stretch.

Now we will see a massive push from teams, let`s just see how they react to it

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Gawd, I hope we get them in the playoffs

Your assuming that they hold onto a playoff spot. They are 6pts up on the 9th place team right now but with that D, and as each game has them facing teams really making a push, not sure I`d be ready to hand them a playoff spot quite yet. Toss in a Captain who consistently makes horrific decisions on the back end.....

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
Another ugly win last night. At least they showed some life in this one.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Your assuming that they hold onto a playoff spot. They are 6pts up on the 9th place team right now but with that D, and as each game has them facing teams really making a push, not sure I`d be ready to hand them a playoff spot quite yet. Toss in a Captain who consistently makes horrific decisions on the back end.....

Carolina also has 3 games in hand.

I think TML will hold onto a playoff spot, and it'll be a feel good story for the league and their fans. Not sure how you take them seriously in the playoffs, but hey, it'd be nice if they drew Pittsburgh or Montreal and gave them some trouble as the Leafs would be playing with house money at that point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad