Post-Game Talk: Bruins win over Toronto 3-2

Kaoz*

Why did Julien go back to the regular lines?

Lucic looked great with Peverley and Paille fit right in on Bergeron's wing. What's the message here?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Why did Julien go back to the regular lines?

Lucic looked great with Peverley and Paille fit right in on Bergeron's wing. What's the message here?

I think it's because he wanted to shorten the bench. The easiest way to do it was probably to put the first two lines back together. He sat Panda, Caron and Thornton and slid Soup between Paille and Pevs.

Kaoz*

I think it's because he wanted to shorten the bench. The easiest way to do it was probably to put the first two lines back together. He sat Panda, Caron and Thornton and slid Soup between Paille and Pevs.

I saw Caron out there for a few shifts in the third including one in the last 5 minutes. Essentially sat Thornton and Pandawful... could have kept the same lines together.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Desperately needed the 2 pts..they played great with the mixed up lines, then went back to the regular lines and didn't seem too good IMO.

Lots of work to do, but was a huge win.

danhampt

Mar 9, 2010
I saw Caron out there for a few shifts in the third including one in the last 5 minutes. Essentially sat Thornton and Pandawful... could have kept the same lines together.

I have no problem with them benching pandolfo. We don't have anyone in providence who can play the 4th wing?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Desperately needed the 2 pts..they played great with the mixed up lines, then went back to the regular lines and didn't seem too good IMO.

Lots of work to do, but was a huge win.

Some decent progress, JB and Quaider out, perhaps not All-Stars but on this team, incredibly important pieces who were/are missed and the Leafs did nothing but sit back for 2 periods, that they had a lead was embarrassing

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
This is exactly right. Can't get too excited about the win since it wasn't anything dominant, but they showed some small signs of coming out of this funk.

I`ll be honest, as prolonged as the Pens and Hawks streaks were, neither team has dominated anyone, those pts have come with late bursts/OT or shootout wins. 2pts is 2pts but there isn`t one team in this league that is heads and shoulders better than anyone IMO.

Pens have arguably the most talented roster and have for a few years, after their Cup win, their playoff performances have shown me, as it has for a long time, talent means jack all, timing of a big play, injuries, hot goalie....those are often reasons why a series tilts.

And Fluery is not a guy I`d be comfortable with between the pipes with some of the sick softies he allows

hopkinsj31

Oct 20, 2006
Newfoundland
bsbeerfinal.gif

If Only Geoff Ward was so good with the PP.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Just received an email from a Leaf buddy of mine, approximately 600 words expressing his hatred, dire concern about his beloved Leafs heading into the playoffs with a complete "tool" as their Captain:)

To watch him literally standing there starting at Bergy on the tying goal was hilarious

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
This is exactly right. Can't get too excited about the win since it wasn't anything dominant, but they showed some small signs of coming out of this funk.

I beg to differ here. If they had any confidence and finish around the net these days that was a 6-2 game. Reimer made at least 5 saves he never saw, Horton and Marchand blew a handful of great chances (this is getting to be a habit for both), and the Bruins basically spent twice as much time in Toronto's end than the reverse. That was a dominating performance, and much of Saturday's game was too.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I beg to differ here. If they had any confidence and finish around the net these days that was a 6-2 game. Reimer made at least 5 saves he never saw, Horton and Marchand blew a handful of great chances (this is getting to be a habit for both), and the Bruins basically spent twice as much time in Toronto's end than the reverse. That was a dominating performance, and much of Saturday's game was too.

I guess I really need to see a complete 60 minute effort before I buy that they're out of this funk. That being said, I don't think they're as bad as they've played during this stretch, and that it will end with a truly dominant performance sooner rather than later.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I guess I really need to see a complete 60 minute effort before I buy that they're out of this funk. That being said, I don't think they're as bad as they've played during this stretch, and that it will end with a truly dominant performance sooner rather than later.

When the other team is playing well, and you are currently giving big minutes to guys like Aaron Johnson, Matt Bartkowski and a rookie on D, how dominant do you think they're going to be?

IMO they played as well as they could play with that lineup last night. Rask was clearly fighting it and the lines were trying to build some chemistry, and they still managed to outplay and eventually beat a playoff team playing with confidence. I thought it was impressive. In terms of effort it was there for 60 minutes.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
When the other team is playing well, and you are currently giving big minutes to guys like Aaron Johnson, Matt Bartkowski and a rookie on D, how dominant do you think they're going to be?

IMO they played as well as they could play with that lineup last night. Rask was clearly fighting it and the lines were trying to build some chemistry, and they still managed to outplay and eventually beat a playoff team playing with confidence. I thought it was impressive. In terms of effort it was there for 60 minutes.

Agreed.

Last night was the definition of a "grind it out" win, and is something that we had come to expect from BOS the last few years. They are still gripping the sticks a bit too tight, but they played hard and made enough plays to get the 2 points.

howaryuh

Mar 28, 2004
Guelph, Ontario
They are a competitive team, not yet sure, regardless of where they are in the standings that they are a "good" team. They have an offensively solid top 6, their bottom 6 are bruisers which is great, but we saw just how ineffective some of those guys are when the games start to be free flowing such as last night.

And their D is outright horrific who`s arse has been saved often by Reimer and Scrivens. They have survived by playing a trap game, over the course of this year it`s not uncommon to see this team consistently put up about 6 shots per period.

Our boys have had a few periods like that, but the Leafs are all about the trap but it`s good coaching from Carlyle. Unless he`s willing to go exclusively with his top two lines, he can`t constantly push the play

They are getting better, they are definitely more competitive and tough, but that D, if I were a Leaf fan, and huge uncertainty in goal with lack of experience would leave me more than a touch nervous heading down the stretch.

Now we will see a massive push from teams, let`s just see how they react to it
Carlyle is doing a good job of getting the most out of what he has. Wilson seemed to be going for what he wanted, Carlyle is working what he can get.
As well as Reimer played, at times he had no idea where the puck was and looks behind him quite often, I get to wonder if he is running on good luck.
It will be interesting to see how they play down the stretch, last year they were in the race and just fell apart. I can tell you leaf nation is giddy with getting 3 out of 4 points, it's as if they are high.
In any case, I enjoy the present intensity of Original Six games given the competitiveness and relevance, even more so with the habs.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

See, with how poorly some of the defense has played this season, I don't think it's a huge drop off for them to dress Johnson or Bartkowski. I personally would have given some guys on the backend a night off well before the injuries because Johnson has looked pretty decent when he's played. I also think that the shuffling of lines had a positive effect simply by dropping Pandolfo down to the 4th line.

I just look at the whole sum and while it was a step in the right direction, there's plenty of room for improvement.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
just wondered why Montreal was still ahead of the Bruins in the standings, then dissected the fact that overtime wins are more valuable than shootout wins

I almost never say this but here it goes:

"Go Pens!"

At least when they play the Habs.

Tomorrow's game is on NBCS I think-so other than the fact that I have to listen to Doc butcher the player's names and the crew focus on Crosby even though he isn't playing for the Bruins or the Habs, at the very least they will be showing a real rivalry for their Wednesday Night Rivalry game.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Solid game :handclap::handclap: Outchanced them 2-1.

Played a nice intense game. Ference is playing good. Chara was a monster with the puck down low.

Loved how Dion was covering the invisible man on that Bergy goal lol.

Way to dominate the faceoffs again.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
mother ****er... did NBC take every MTL game this season? :|

I want to hear Jack during those games.. not Eddie O, Pierre and Doc.

Pretty much, but from a sport channel money making perspective they are good games to take given the Boston media market and the fact that both teams are original 6 and have fans scattered all through other markets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad