Post-Game Talk: Bruins win 2-1 in OT to even up the series!

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Another interesting stat...

Boston hits on the road and at home equally 349 road, 331 at home but Chicago has a wide discrepancy their stats are 427 hits at hime and only 126 on the road so they play a more finesse game on the road, another reason for the B's to step up their hitting tomorrow.

I think what changes is whoever keeps track of the "hits" stat, rather than Chicago's game.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I wouldn't mind putting a Caron - Peverley - Thornton line out there. I really don't see how Daugavins can be in the lineup for another game.

I've been hoping for Soderberg on the 3rd line, but now that Paille-Kelly-Seguin is showing results, that kind of makes a dog's breakfast of the 4th line - leftovers.

Takes away the strength of rolling 4 lines.

I don't see Soda making sense on the 4th line, so maybe you're right - in this situation, maybe Caron makes sense on the 4th line.

the overrated

wicked overrated
Jul 13, 2006
Suburbia
If Daugavins and Thornton are going to get 5 minutes a night, why are they even in the lineup? Really.

I like Thornton, I think he's a better hockey player than people give him credit for. He's not just a fighter, he can play a bit...but there's no fighting to be had this series, and if Clode doesn't trust him enough to staple him to the bench and play 3 lines every time there's an injury, why is he on the roster? And what has Daugavins done except blow scoring chances and make defensive lapses?

A Caron-Soderberg-Pevs 4th line wouldn't be that bad, and Caron would help the PK and Yeti the PP.

Caron routinely played less than 10 minutes a night when he played in the regular season; I can't see him getting much more ice time than Daugavins or Thornton now, against Chicago. There might be an argument that he could do more in his minimal ice time than those two (not that I'd agree with that argument, though) but it's highly unlikely that he'd get more TOI if inserted in the line-up.

Also: I don't see how he'd help the PK (which doesn't need help at all, IMHO). The 6 vets that are playing on the PK now are all ahead of him on the depth chart ... even if he was in the line-up, I don't see Caron getting much (if any) PKTOI.

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
If Daugavins and Thornton are going to get 5 minutes a night, why are they even in the lineup? Really.

I like Thornton, I think he's a better hockey player than people give him credit for. He's not just a fighter, he can play a bit...but there's no fighting to be had this series, and if Clode doesn't trust him enough to staple him to the bench and play 3 lines every time there's an injury, why is he on the roster? And what has Daugavins done except blow scoring chances and make defensive lapses?

A Caron-Soderberg-Pevs 4th line wouldn't be that bad, and Caron would help the PK and Yeti the PP.

Not that I'm against sitting Daug, but let's be fair, Jagr and Seguin have blown the same percentage of scoring chances.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
That's hilarious.

His favorite player really was a former Bruin named Vladimir Ruzicka.

Does anyone else think Jags has changed from the guy who wanted Aaron Ward out of the room for telling Jags he needed to be their (the Rags) best player?

Yes I like him much better than I figured I would. Jagr looks like he is having a blast out there every game.

Last edited:

Jdrewc

May 26, 2013
Florida
I love watching the bruins these days. I've been a long time fan dating back to 1970, but they are playing some amazing hockey right now.

NeelyDan

Spot-Picker
Sponsor
Jun 28, 2010
Dundas, Ontario
I really think, in spite of him not potting one yet, that Jaromir has been one of the most cunning and underrated moved we've seen in some time. His possession and puck protection alone make him worth it, but he's making plays that frankly noone else on this team can make, and I really hope, though doubt, that they resign him.

takanoyama

Apr 4, 2013
I really think, in spite of him not potting one yet, that Jaromir has been one of the most cunning and underrated moved we've seen in some time. His possession and puck protection alone make him worth it, but he's making plays that frankly noone else on this team can make, and I really hope, though doubt, that they resign him.

All my hopes are related to Stanley cup win nowadays, nothing else following is for me worth of hope although I´d like Jagr to add at least 4 more points (200 points) and 2 goals (80 goals) to the SC. Next season is far far away.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
It was not called back. The on-ice call was no goal. The ref lost sight of the puck. The review needs to show conclusively the puck in the net before the ref blowing the play dead, could not get confirmation therefore no goal.

As an Oiler fan coming hear in peace, and unbiased (we are a basement dweller who essentially have no hatred for any team unlike playoff contenders lol)

My opinion is that the most important factor of it being a non goal was that hossa pushed the pad into the net.

The initial play is the wraparound by toews, and if thats all there is then rask makes the save, the puck wasn't lose there was definitely the force of the pad being pushed

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:

(ix) When a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a save.

69.6 Rebounds and Loose Pucks

In a rebound situation, or where a goalkeeper and attacking player(s) are simultaneously attempting to play a loose puck, whether inside or outside the crease, incidental contact with the goalkeeper will be permitted, and any goal that is scored as a result thereof will be allowed.
In the event that a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck by an attacking player after making a stop, the goal will be disallowed. If applicable, appropriate penalties will be assessed.

Add the fact that the puck took its sweet time crossing the line this wasn't as controversial to a bystander

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
More on Paille:

Goal was the first overtime goal of his eight-year NHL career.
2nd GWG of the 2013 NHL playoffs.
He had the winner in Game 3 against the Rangers with 3 1/2 minutes left in the third period.

The pair of winners matches Paille’s total from his last 246 regular-season games.

Way to step it up!

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
I think what changes is whoever keeps track of the "hits" stat, rather than Chicago's game.

Not sure about that. I watched a couple of their games against Minny and that was a no hit series, against LA they tried to run and gun on the road, against Detroit the Wings were more aggressive...

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
As an Oiler fan coming hear in peace, and unbiased (we are a basement dweller who essentially have no hatred for any team unlike playoff contenders lol)

My opinion is that the most important factor of it being a non goal was that hossa pushed the pad into the net.

The initial play is the wraparound by toews, and if thats all there is then rask makes the save, the puck wasn't lose there was definitely the force of the pad being pushed

78.5 Disallowed Goals – Apparent goals shall be disallowed by the Referee and the appropriate announcement made by the Public Address Announcer for the following reasons:

(ix) When a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck after making a save.

69.6 Rebounds and Loose Pucks

In a rebound situation, or where a goalkeeper and attacking player(s) are simultaneously attempting to play a loose puck, whether inside or outside the crease, incidental contact with the goalkeeper will be permitted, and any goal that is scored as a result thereof will be allowed.
In the event that a goalkeeper has been pushed into the net together with the puck by an attacking player after making a stop, the goal will be disallowed. If applicable, appropriate penalties will be assessed.

Add the fact that the puck took its sweet time crossing the line this wasn't as controversial to a bystander

I think the pertinent call on this play was rule 78.5 (xii)

(xii) When the Referee deems the play has been stopped, even if he had
not physically had the opportunity to stop play by blowing his whistle.

I have the play on a DVR. The ref was looking down towards the ice trying to locate the puck when he lost sight of it he blew his whistle and motioned no goal. Hossa was in his periphery to his left. I believe the fact he lost sight and waived no goal was the primary reason. The video review judge could see Hossa's action which justifies the refs call therefore no goal...

Also :

31.2 Disputes - The Referees shall have general supervision of the game
and shall have full control of all game officials and players during the
game, including stoppages; and in case of any dispute, their decision
shall be final.
As there is a human factor involved in blowing the whistle to stop
play, the Referee may deem the play to be stopped slightly prior to the
whistle actually being blown. The fact that the puck may come loose
or cross the goal line prior to the sound of the whistle has no bearing if
the Referee has ruled that the play had been stopped prior to this
happening.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Not sure if anyone actually looked at the picture I found from the main board, but the puck is clearly still on the line when the ref is already in the wash out position.

If I knew how to do things with the interwebs, I'd circle the puck with MS Paint, but I'ma too stupid to do things myselves.

boston77

Jul 8, 2004
Toronto
Not sure if anyone actually looked at the picture I found from the main board, but the puck is clearly still on the line when the ref is already in the wash out position.

If I knew how to do things with the interwebs, I'd circle the puck with MS Paint, but I'ma too stupid to do things myselves.

The ref would not have seen it he was behind the net and Tuukka's pad prevented him from looking at the exact location of the puck

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
The ref would not have seen it he was behind the net and Tuukka's pad prevented him from looking at the exact location of the puck

Yes, exactly, he already called the play dead because he lost sight of the puck.

And the puck still hadn't crossed 100% over.

No goal.

Plus, again, this is being forgotten, Hossa pushed Rask's pads into the net, which caused the puck to cross over. No goal again.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
More on Paille:

Goal was the first overtime goal of his eight-year NHL career.
2nd GWG of the 2013 NHL playoffs.
He had the winner in Game 3 against the Rangers with 3 1/2 minutes left in the third period.

The pair of winners matches Paille’s total from his last 246 regular-season games.

Way to step it up!

Paille has been excellent this season.

It is ridiculous that he has played so little on the third line. With a healthy Campbell its one thing to keep him on the 4th but no Campbell it was time he got a chance on another line and sure enough once he got promoted he went out and won us the game.

Afam*

Apparently Chris Kelly and a few players where mad at their awful start to the game yesterday and let it be known to one another. It's on Sportsnet central.

Afam*

I like how our team is a tough knit group and can handle self criticism.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yes, exactly, he already called the play dead because he lost sight of the puck.

And the puck still hadn't crossed 100% over.

No goal.

Plus, again, this is being forgotten, Hossa pushed Rask's pads into the net, which caused the puck to cross over. No goal again.

I watched with a group and ummm yah we all saw Hossa push pad across- I'm amazed at the waive off whining unless you are a Black Hawks fan or a spiteful Habs or bitter Canucks fan. Hilarious over nothing but of course none if them had a problem with no call on the Dogavens third over time trip by Seabrooke

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

I took a quick look and I think I have the puck circled. If that's it, it's clearly not yet over the line.

b5snbk.jpg

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Apparently Chris Kelly and a few players where mad at their awful start to the game yesterday and let it be known to one another. It's on Sportsnet central.

I like how our team is a tough knit group and can handle self criticism.

Agreed. It's this type of leadership that you just can't teach. This is a team through and through.

I said before the series started, several times over that it was the third line that would kill the chances for Boston. I gotta say though, if Paille Kelly and Seguin can continue flying then it would do wonders for the Bruins' chance at a Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad